What's new

Question - Scorpion How do you deal with sorcerer Quan's armor?

Cobainevermind87

Mid-match beer sipper
I have absolutely zero knowledge about his armor pool and how it works. I've looked in the Quan forum, but I wasn't able to find a thread that clearly explained it. I guess what I need to know is:

1.) How many hits to break it?
2.) If broken, how long before it comes back if he's still in the pool?

Again, this is probably a really dumb question, but I don't see many sorcerer Quans online. Thank you.

I have absolutely zero knowledge about his armor pool and how it works. I've looked in the Quan forum, but I wasn't able to find a thread that clearly explained it. I guess what I need to know is:

1.) How many hits to break it?
2.) If broken, how long before it comes back if he's still in the pool?

Again, this is probably a really dumb question, but I don't see many sorcerer Quans online. Thank you.
1)two hits
2)I'm not sure

Best tools to break quan's armor when he is in a portal? If you are playing ninjutsu, f2 or b4. If u are playing hellfire, scorpion with flame aura activated will probably do the trick. In inferno, u can use 114.

When i played dragons fire liu kang if they knocked me down with armor i just wake up fly kick which is two hits and breaks it

Edit: I didnt realize this was a scorpion thread

Last edited:

Matix218

Get over here!
1)two hits
2)I'm not sure

Best tools to break quan's armor when he is in a portal? If you are playing ninjutsu, f2 or b4. If u are playing hellfire, scorpion with flame aura activated will probably do the trick. In inferno, u can use 114.
I dont think flame aura ticks count toward armor breaking hits as of two patches ago IIRC.

ismael4790

Stay focused or get Caged
I get REKT by this variation of quan. I seriously have absolutely no idea how to fight vs him.
In the corner with armor active, it doesn't matter if you block his 50/50, you have to keep blocking because he has armor after...?
There is no option but to block in that situation? 50/50 over 50/50 until portal disappears? There must be something.

I mean, nrs eliminates armor launchers and we have a character that has corner 50/50s that force you to block if you guess correctly due to an armor that he sets up meterless...?

Last edited:

Safe Armor

Tier Whore. BS, GM, Mystic etc.
Mash armor slide, it has 2 hits of armor!

@ismael4790
Sorcerer armor circle has only one hit of armor, either do fast hitting strings or mash moves with 2 hits of armor!

GamerBlake90

Blue Blurs for Life!
Is there any other way to deal with quan's full screen zoning with the armor portal activated other than be super patient and work your way in slowly?
If the Quan player is dumb enough to step outside his rune before pitching a skull at you, you can teleport-punish. Otherwise, walking is your only option.

Something else to note is that the ground runes aren't locked to your location, they can only be cast at three different parts of the screen. So if you anticipate correctly, you should be able to run past a ground rune and get a clean B2 punish (or F2 if he has armor up).

If the Quan player is dumb enough to step outside his rune before pitching a skull at you, you can teleport-punish. Otherwise, walking is your only option.

Something else to note is that the ground runes aren't locked to your location, they can only be cast at three different parts of the screen. So if you anticipate correctly, you should be able to run past a ground rune and get a clean B2 punish (or F2 if he has armor up).
Thanks for your help.

MK_Al

Noob
Basically you can
- wait till his spell is over
- use armour breakiing strings/specials/setups; you need to land two quick hits
- hit him with a projectile to take the armour and try to get in quickly afterwards
- cancel a poke on hit into an armour move (your armour will beat his kounterpoke. Some quan player tend to play reckless when they are in the portal, so instead of blocking they will try to whiffpunish your poke)
- if you are cornered try to figure out his go-to setups. If he's jumping you can run under to escape, if he does unsafe or - strings you can try to jump out (works even better when you have a dive kick). I don't play scorp but I could imagine that empty tp into backdash might work (it may not be legit but people have a hard time reacting to the empty tp. Don't blow me up if it doesn't work; i'm just brainstorming here :p). What works pretty well for me is to poke to take his armour, hold the string afterward and then go for a punish or a throw.

What ever you do, stay patient and avoid the corner. Easier said than done though.

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
Hi.

So what I'm going to type here is purely based on a read. I'm not going to downplay and say otherwise.

A lot of it depends on what the Sorcerer player likes to do. You could try to jump out, but it's very risky to do and will most likely not work.

Another option is an armored corner escape. If the Sorcerer player has committed to a mix, you can sometimes use the corner escape to get out. He can read this and punish you for it, but it's an option.

Another option is to d1 into a fast armored move. Again, this isn't a guaranteed way out, but it's an option. What will usually happen is the d1 will hit his armor, then your move will armor through whatever buttons he's committed to.

Of course he can always just block and blow that up.

I know it's very overwhelming, but some of what I've written here does work.

Matix218

Get over here!
The worst is when you acutally catch him and start a combo but during the combo a part of him passes back over the portal and the armor reactivates and stops the combo lol

Cobainevermind87

Mid-match beer sipper
I'll leave this here.

If anyone would like me to provide a detailed breakdown, ask.
Thanks so much man! I actually study you and your ninjutsu tech. I like the EX chain to take away a hit or armor. I never would have found that video on your channel though, didn't know Michaelangelo played anything other than summoner. It's greatly appreciated.

Thanks to everyone else for their helpful replies as well. The normal into armored special is something I've been using on hard reads to stuff opponents' 2-hit armored wakeups. Specifically f2/b4 into ex takedown with ninjutsu. I suppose if I can't manage walk my way in through all the zoning to land a f2, I could react to a skull with EX tele or just telecancel into d1 EX takedown?

Tanno

The Fantasy is the Reality of the Mind
As Displacer and Master of Storms Raiden, I do EX Teleport Away and just dash back to avoid get hit. Only the teleporters shouldn't have problems against this.

Those NON-teleporters do have this problem.