What's new

Question - Balanced How do you deal with full screen balanced kenshi?

I'm having trouble when I face a balanced kenshi online. If somehow we get fullscreen, they do the 1 hit spirit move. I block it and try to move forward and I get hit with either that or the multi hit one. I'm trying to just hold block until kenshi attacks, then move forward a little bit. Then block, and move forward a little bit. If I make any progress I get spirit pushed back to full screen. I could like (as jax) armored bf2 to get a little bit of screen, but I don't think that'd be very effective. What's my game plan here to get in? I surely must be missing some opportunity. Thanks kenshi community

Last edited:
I'm having trouble when I face a balanced kenshi online. They do the 1 hit spirit move. I block it and try to move forward and I get hit with either that or the multi hit one. I'm trying to just hold block until kenshi attacks, then move forward a little bit. Then block, and move forward a little bit. If I make any progress I get spirit pushed back to full screen. I could like (as jax) armored bf2 to get a little bit of screen, but I don't think that'd be very effective. What's my game plan here to get in? I surely must be missing some opportunity. Thanks kenshi community
You got run button for starters I guess. Also if you just slowly make your way towards him he will read you at one point and you land back on your ass. Remember he cannot attack you low from distance. Just overhead and mid/high. flurry special also has a lot higher -block than other 2 so that's something to take into account as well. Just try to avoid jumping at him or he will rising karma combo you and you will be back at the other end of the screen.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Balanced Kenshi has a fullscreen control of the stage almost all the time, be careful when you try to approach him at mid screen or full screen, he can reversal punish with flurry on daily basis.

1. If you're approaching Kenshi from fullscreen, make sure to duck, the flurry hits high, as long as you're crouching it will whiff over your head, also special moves on whiff have longer recovery animation, this should allow you to run before he recovers and put you in the range of spirit charge.

2. Be aware that if Kenshi knows you're ducking he will use the overhead that reaches fullscreen, fortunately for you these aren't trackable as flurry is, so you can run towards him.

Most Kenshi's i've been watching don't use the overhead much unless they get a knockdown, they even forget this move exist at such ranges so they use flurry instead, but flurry can be ducked or armored, just don't try to avoid by jumping, a pretty bad timing and you will be anti-aired by flurrys putting you back to fullscreen again where his fullscreen overhead can reach.

Remember that i said crouching, not crouch blocking.

I'm having trouble when I face a balanced kenshi online. If somehow we get fullscreen, they do the 1 hit spirit move. I block it and try to move forward and I get hit with either that or the multi hit one. I'm trying to just hold block until kenshi attacks, then move forward a little bit. Then block, and move forward a little bit. If I make any progress I get spirit pushed back to full screen. I could like (as jax) armored bf2 to get a little bit of screen, but I don't think that'd be very effective. What's my game plan here to get in? I surely must be missing some opportunity. Thanks kenshi community
After blocking Tele-Flurry, you can from full screen to about 1/4th screen away from Kenshi before he can do another Tele-Flurry. Test this out in training mode. Record the dummy going full screen, doing a bf3 that gets blocked (set up the dummy to block while you're recording), then do another bf3 immediately as the recovery of the first bf3 ends (watch Kenshi's animation closely to see where it ends). Now, with the recording set up like that, block one of those and then run in. Once you see how far forward you can move before Kenshi can do anything, the matchup won't seems as oppressive.

Something to note: Kenshi's Overhead Slash recovers much faster than Tele-Flurry. You can't move as far forward when blocking that move. However if you read Overhead Slash at the right time, you can run forward and make it whiff. That'll actually get you a full combo punish from full screen.