What's new

How do you cyrax players fight sonya?

Vagrant

Noob
I've run this MU with GGA HAN quite a bit and figured i'd ask the rest of you.

How do you guys like to fight sonya?
What range do you prefer to keep her at?
How do you pressure her?
What are you looking out for?
Which of her moves/follow ups do you respect?
Final thought on the MU?

Thanks guys, this is probably one of the matchups i'm most intrigued by and it's alot of fun.

Any feedback is always apreciated

YOMI DJT

LIn Kuei Champion
I've run this MU with GGA HAN quite a bit and figured i'd ask the rest of you.

How do you guys like to fight sonya?
What range do you prefer to keep her at?
How do you pressure her?
What are you looking out for?
Which of her moves/follow ups do you respect?
Final thought on the MU?

Thanks guys, this is probably one of the matchups i'm most intrigued by and it's alot of fun.

Any feedback is always apreciated
I'll start off by saying that sonya wins it 4-6

As a cyrax player you want to play sonya defensive

I say cyrax plays her best when he gets the life lead laming her out doing d4s bombs nets occassionally

use 11 and 12 and cg to pressure her and stuff like 11 buzzsaw

deep jump kick her wakeups because it gives you enough time to block excartwheel

always watch that excartwheel. duck all her rings.

respect stuff like her d1 into excartwheel

watch out for her d4 and divekick but divekick is full punish

her d4 leads to her pressure and cyrax doesn't want to be in her ms pressure because of his hitbox

other thing you can do as rax is os her wakeups too

like d4 airgrab and airgrab will beat her wakeups same stuff jax can do with his airgrab

exragdoll also goes under her rings thats good thing to do to get the life lead.

use d1 exragdoll to get out of pressure like krayzie says its not interuptible

whenever you jump at sonya crossover deep jump kick works the best watch out for her excartwheel

net trades always in your favor but not likely with that ring so fast on recovery

keep the life lead as much as possible

Krayzie

Co-founder
Founder
I took this from my Match-Up Chart & Guide

5-5 vs Sonya -
Her ability to bait and armor through net gives her an edge when rushing down. You would think I could just wait for the cartwheel, and start my pressure, since cartwheel is -3, and her fastest jab is 7 frames, not counting her D1 of course, but her awkward hitbox does not let me keep her pressured for too long. Watch out for any uppercut if you are in trying to pressure with blockstrings, and bait as much as you can. The best thing you can do against her is play the keep away game. Its similar to the Johnny Cage match where you run away, but you have to be a bit more careful, use more nets, and watch out for dive kicks and D4's at a certain distance. If she is in your face, just block her pressure, and pressure her back as soon as the cartwheel ends. Watch out for Ex Cartwheel. Its a big deal if you aren't expecting it, but the trick is to understand the Sonya players tendencies, and act on them. This match is a 5-5 match, because at the end of the day, she cant open you up if you are constantly just running away and counter pressuring her when she finally gets in on you.

Here is my most recent video footage as well. I hope this helps.

scarsunseen

Miley Cyrax®
You need a really good footsie game against Sonya, in my opinion. I also drop close-bombs as much as possible.

Justice

Noob
This is one of the few matchups where Sonya gets to play "zoner". What Sonya wants to do early on at least is fall back and get the life lead by preventing Cyrax from getting too many bombs on the screen with her fast recovery on Rings, thereby forcing Cyrax to come to her. This also gives Sonya enough time to react to a well-placed bomb with less feat because of Cyrax being so far away.

Sonya's main goal in this matchup is prevention. She wants to stop Cyrax from placing bombs with Rings and overwhelm his footsies with her cancels. Ideally, Sonya won't let Cyrax do anything but fall down. But then again, one net from Cyrax and Sonya is hitting the showers :p

I don't know any specific strings to punish Dive Kick, but it is full combo punish on block as long as it doesn't hit really low.

Wigy

There it is...
Must be lag or something cause that never ever ever works. I just try to get a command grab if i can.