What's new

How do you as a player deal with 50/50's

1man3letters

Alpha Tarkatan - Moderator
yesssss this is the perfect answer

I was actually trying to ask how players personally deal with 50/50's and the first part of your post answers that perfectly.

if you don't mind, do you think you could give more character specific examples?
good stuff, glad i helped.

yea sure, take mileena
her f4 low is 15 frame and with the string itself is -8 on block and even with f4~pounce in ravenous there is still a gap before the pounce hits to exploit. f4~ex fade is safe but at the cost of a bar.
her f3 overhead is 33 frames. more than twice as slow as the low.
since you cant react to 15 frames, against her you want to block low most of the time but the mind games with that come in when mileena has 2 bars of meter.
her ex roll is 16 frame overhead and you cannot fuzzy the f4~roll and this, both which will launch.so when she has two bars she has a proper mixup which you must guess however with mileena if you guess right on either option you get a punish.
the two bar mix up also comes into play with 21 or 2~exroll of f12b4 or f12~exroll but that string options of those are safe bar the gap in 21u4 before the u4.
even in piercing using the low sai/ex roll at the end of anystring is death for mileena if you guess right

i know obviously mileena wouldnt be grouped into the 50/50 gameplay based chars like ,sonya, subzero, master of souls ermac etc etc but she still has them haha

this is too simple/vague question for the amount of variables involved in answering, which in turn is why every post so far (besides crazys) has been a smart comment of some sorts

is the 50/50 fuzzyable?
are both 50/50 options safe?
are only one of the options safe?
do both options launch?
do only one of the options launch?
without meter what can opponent do off both options?
what things does the character have to force you into these guessing situations or is it your own fault your "getting mixed" by allowing opponent to jump in on you with a jip all day?

obviously you dont have to have a low&overhead to make a 50/50 situation but thats another story

you weight the options of your opponent and make a guess but thats where mind games come into it, to give a example of what i mean,
with tremor i use 212(overhead) waaaaay more than i use 21d4(low)u4, the low option is safe and be mixed up with shatter cancels and if in the corner i know my opponent doesnt want to be launched for 30%+ so they take the 9% overhead,im getting free damage and oki because i know my opponent knows my best option. while the 212 can be punished by a special few of the cast on block that again adds another layer to it, even against those characters they still will not want to lose 30%+ of life by trying to stand block the 2 and when i read they want to finally try block the 212 its 21d4 time and big damage

Was going to post but basically this ^^^

All of these factors are important when dealing with 50/50s and players that don't consider these factors when playing are sure to just go about guessing and hoping for the best.

All these things can change drastically in each matchup and its up to you to know them.

TwiztidOne

I don't know who that is...
good stuff, glad i helped.

yea sure, take mileena
her f4 low is 15 frame and with the string itself is -8 on block and even with f4~pounce in ravenous there is still a gap before the pounce hits to exploit. f4~ex fade is safe but at the cost of a bar.
her f3 overhead is 33 frames. more than twice as slow as the low.
since you cant react to 15 frames, against her you want to block low most of the time but the mind games with that come in when mileena has 2 bars of meter.
her ex roll is 16 frame overhead and you cannot fuzzy the f4~roll and this, both which will launch.so when she has two bars she has a proper mixup which you must guess however with mileena if you guess right on either option you get a punish.
the two bar mix up also comes into play with 21 or 2~exroll of f12b4 or f12~exroll but that string options of those are safe bar the gap in 21u4 before the u4.
even in piercing using the low sai/ex roll at the end of anystring is death for mileena if you guess right

i know obviously mileena wouldnt be grouped into the 50/50 gameplay based chars like ,sonya, subzero, master of souls ermac etc etc but she still has them haha
yeah mileena use to give me a lot of trouble with her mixes, but it's mostly manageable now due to the nerf on ex roll. it's still something you gotta look out for, but now it's way easier to deal with.

thanks for taking the time to respond man, everyone who responded seriously actually had something good to say and I think this thread could help out lower and mid level players looking to level up

Last edited:

BanTheTesters

“My AGENT is tougher than you...”
You have to try and look at the habits of the opposing player
yeah I mostly try to look for my opponents habits, but some are just so random that its hard to deal with
^^^Mostly this/these

Ill try to look for said habits and considering im mostly not playing in a tourney setting and or if im not familar with a character/matchup ill look for a certain combo animation string take a guess and throw out an armor move or move in general and make a mental note of it if it works or not against a character and or opponent...which in Bo rai Cho's case it doesn't..at all...if ever..

tafka Djinn

One for three off the roof
When I first started playing in the arcade, I decided that I needed to learn player tendencies, and how to cover my options as much as possible. This got me pretty far, but at a certain point you have RNG mixup artists like PL, so I had to think outside of the box.
Long story short I now sacrifice a mating pair of goats to Shub-Niggurath under the harvest moon.

Saltea Moonspell

"Mind Over Matter" I dont mind, and X dont matter
There are scenarios where its pure guess. Like Smoke in the corner. I Am able outplay a smoke player at mid screen but once I Am in the corner the vortex begins. Its not hard to not guess right 3 times, thats all it takes to take away 60%. This is something I will always hate the game for and those who choose to play like that - I dont say shit, I just move on to someone else.

Invincible Salads

Seeker of knowledge
i try to entice people into certain options by purposely ducking, then transitioning to stand block and vice versa. Most people when going for 50/50 will try to hit you based on how your blocking, though not always, just try using it in combination with making reads against them and it'll improve your odds.

Tanno

The Fantasy is the Reality of the Mind
yes that's something I really need to start implementing in my game play. usually I'm very impatient getting in and my neutral is on the weaker side so I have difficulty keeping opponents out, so I put myself in situations where I have to guess more then I should
ehehe I have the opposite problem, I'm too defensive: I keep the opponent out easily, but once he gets in I have a tendency to block way too much.
The truth is in the middle of these answers. Due of me playing Grandmaster Sub Zero, I usually block low on most of the characters, but when I see an OH or a slow move, I start counterattacking or block high. ;)

It's not that most of the players do have their habits. The trick is to know those characters' weaknesses. A lot of players do use their characters' advantages to beat their opponents, but they risk themselves of doing the bad moves, which is their weakness.

Everything has an advantage. Everything has a disadvantage. Nothing is perfect. A lot of good moves will surely have a disadvantage at their part. Just look for their weaknesses and devise a plan against them. ;)

Just be patient and find your opponents' weaknesses. ;)

RagingRicans

NetBattles
It's not as 50/50 as you think. You can use data from past experiences to help you guess. Different variables come to play and with enough practice you can get into an enemies head. Keep these questions in mind as you play.

What's the first mix-up he used?
After the first mix up it becomes a mind game and in my head I see percentages of what's Likely to come next. People aren't as random as you think. They all create patterns and you can feel what they're thinking.

Another factor is knowing what the characters options at certain ranges and certain situations.

I don't know.....it's honestly incredibly hard to explain what I'm trying to say. YOMI

UGL Preon

The Casual God
Depends. If its a character who gets less damage from the low. Ill just 80% of the time block high ans vice versa. Almost certain flame fist or dragon's fire kang's can just b2 me to death cause I'm always blocking low. Ive learned that if i guess ill always lose out and eat 30 to 50%. Depending on the opponent's character.

We arent counting fuzzies and reactions here. On characters with legit same combo the only difference is the OH or Low at the beginning like Ermac. I will commit to blocking one. And ill change it from game to game which i commit to.

TyCarter35

Bonafide Jax scrub
To be quite honest the best option with dealing 50/50's is to limit ur opponents options at mixing which would mean spacing urself out and forcing only certain overheads and/or lows that can reach u. Like if I'm fighting say Smoke for example I would space out to keep away from his b3 range and force only his b1 to be able to reach me since f13 can be fuzzyable. Or say force Liu to only be able to use his overhead on me while staying out of his f4 range. That's probably the best way to deal with it. Then there is fuzzying mixups around the same range which would come down to understanding frame data and then say blocking Tanya's drill or overhead split for example you'd block low then switch to high to block her options on time. Then there's looking at what mixups ur opponent likes to do and then adapting accordingly along with understanding flowcharts for characters which comes down to experience. That's my two cents

GAV

Resolution through knowledge and resolve.
If you have armor, you can make the choice to use a 50-50 - a 50-50 risk for your opponent in many cases.

how do you as a player deal with 50/50's

this is a question I don't really have an answer to and I'm really curious about high level players take on dealing with 50/50's
You need to know the mix of you opponent, the range of the moves in question, frames, and luck.

EntropicByDesign

It's all so very confusing.
My only input here is as follows:

Also please take with a grain of salt, as I am likely the worst player on this site (I really mean that).

Try to figure out what and when its an actual 50/50.. A LOT of what people call a 50/50 in MKX (and other games) actually aren't. They can be fuzzied, or are only 'real' from specific spacing or situations. Back when I cared about MKX, I kept a little notebook next to my computer that I kept character specific notes on. When Id play someone id flip to the page for their character and Id have some basic stuff written down there. Nothing super detailed, just a quick few jots on specific setups or situations I needed to watch out for.. and I'd amend my notes as I learned to fuzzy this, or a patch changed that, etc.. But that was a million patches ago, well before KP2 - I just dont have the energy to do it any more.

It also cant hurt to talk to the person you just fought, if possible. A lot of time you can get some interesting insights from them and on why they did this or that and it can help you play them and their character in the future.

Matix218

Get over here!
this is too simple/vague question for the amount of variables involved in answering, which in turn is why every post so far (besides crazys) has been a smart comment of some sorts

is the 50/50 fuzzyable?
are both 50/50 options safe?
are only one of the options safe?
do both options launch?
do only one of the options launch?
without meter what can opponent do off both options?
range of the moves?
what things does the character have to force you into these guessing situations or is it your own fault your "getting mixed" by allowing opponent to jump in on you with a jip all day?

obviously you dont have to have a low&overhead to make a 50/50 situation but thats another story

you weight the options of your opponent and make a guess but thats where mind games come into it, to give a example of what i mean,
with tremor i use 212(overhead) waaaaay more than i use 21d4(low)u4, the low option is safe and be mixed up with shatter cancels and if in the corner i know my opponent doesnt want to be launched for 30%+ so they take the 9% overhead,im getting free damage and oki because i know my opponent knows my best option. while the 212 can be punished by a special few of the cast on block that again adds another layer to it, even against those characters they still will not want to lose 30%+ of life by trying to stand block the 2 and when i read they want to finally try block the 212 its 21d4 time and big damage
This pretty much sums up how you have to approach 50 50s

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
If it's an actual non fuzzyable, 50/50 situation where both OH and low are in range, it's a straight guess. So you guess. I'd say the best thing is to pick a character or put yourself in a situation to initiate your offense first.

Soul Caliber, Tekken, Mortal Kombat, and SF.
Welcome to 50/50 city.
Once you drive into butcher's vortex city, luck is the only friend that can save you or you are going to be hammer to death.