What's new

Question - Raiden How do i open people up as raiden and counter people who keep block stunning me?

.Solo.

Noob
I've gotten all the combo's i need for TG Raiden but i'm having issues trying to open up my opponents to start these combos. They start with the following:
B3
B2
F12

I also don't know what to do when someone is very close to me and just keeps on doing safe strings and block stunning me for so long as raiden doesn't really have any fast normals aside from f1 and they just start ducking when they notice me using that as a punish. So how do i open people up and what are the best mix ups to do that and what do i do to get people off me?

I'm don't know how to play Raiden but after you block string your opponent is generally at - frames and F1 is the fastest normal in the game so unless someone armor through your move or he was at + frames (very few moves leave you + on block) you should at least force them block every time, unless of course your timing is off. Don't forget that the EX shocker with is 17 active frames is great even as a difensive tool: that being said it is quite difficult to give advices without seeing you playing posting some of your matches would indeed help.

.Solo.

Noob
I'm don't know how to play Raiden but after you block string your opponent is generally at - frames and F1 is the fastest normal in the game so unless someone armor through your move or he was at + frames (very few moves leave you + on block) you should at least force them block every time, unless of course your timing is off. Don't forget that the EX shocker with is 17 active frames is great even as a difensive tool: that being said it is quite difficult to give advices without seeing you playing posting some of your matches would indeed help.
Ok I'll try and get something uploaded soon, thanks for the tips.

LaidbackOne

Scrubby nice guy
Sorry, but not everyone is a pro at fighting games and attends tournaments. Some of us just play for fun.
When Did I say anything about being pro at fighting games? I surely am not that kind of player. Btw why so hostile? I anwsered one of your questions and corrected an error because its impossible to duck Raiden's f1. Anyways, just as @Farpafraf said record, upload and wait for someone to give you exact tips on what to do.

RyuuJin882

Twitch.tv/ryuujin882
Up close mix up between f2 and b3. If you are having trouble then dont let them get close. Use your tg strings to space them out by whiffing the strings. Make them scared to get close, teach them to only come in when you want them to.

Scoot Magee

But I didn't want to dash
How do they duck a mid hitting 6 frame move? Hard to give you tips on opening people up with a top character. If it comes to "safe strings and block stunning", you know you have tons of armor moves, right? Wow, just wow.
It should actually be really easy to give tips to open people up with a top character though.

When Did I say anything about being pro at fighting games? I surely am not that kind of player. Btw why so hostile? I anwsered one of your questions and corrected an error because its impossible to duck Raiden's f1. Anyways, just as @@Farpafraf said record, upload and wait for someone to give you exact tips on what to do.
I would say that your post came off as kind of condescending and hostile as if he should know this stuff already, he's here asking for a reason. Btw his f1 can be low profiled so it doesn't always hit people while they're crouching.

Also I'm not sure if it's like this with all characters but I know against Dvora that EX lighting grab and EX DB2 whiff on crouch or D1. Again I'm not sure if that's just small hitbox characters because I didn't test it.

I normally don't get involved in this nonsense but it just seems like people can't talk about issues without somehow making it personal around here.

RyuuJin882

Twitch.tv/ryuujin882
It should actually be really easy to give tips to open people up with a top character though.

I would say that your post came off as kind of condescending and hostile as if he should know this stuff already, he's here asking for a reason. Btw his f1 can be low profiled so it doesn't always hit people while they're crouching.

Also I'm not sure if it's like this with all characters but I know against Dvora that EX lighting grab and EX DB2 whiff on crouch or D1. Again I'm not sure if that's just small hitbox characters because I didn't test it.

I normally don't get involved in this nonsense but it just seems like people can't talk about issues without somehow making it personal around here.
Raiden's vicinity blast and electrocute can both be ducked and low poked safely because they are high attacks.

LaidbackOne

Scrubby nice guy

By hard to explain I meant that he has lots of tools to open people up. What more can you really add here? Maybe the 'wow' thingy was redundant but I can't see anything else that may have sounded hostile.

wsj515

This is my billionth life cycle.
People are being a little condescending, but come on man, its a little hard not to be when Raiden has so many options.

Kinda sounds like you just need to brush up on your fundamentals, maybe watch a guide on youtube about frame data and punishing in fighting games and you'll be good to go.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust

Bro, the salt from having to face high level Raiden and his immeasurable amount of bs is so real that how dare someone ask that they need help opening people up with Raiden?!?

Am I joking, or am I dead serious? Only I know the answer.

Chaosphere

The Free Meter Police
When Did I say anything about being pro at fighting games? I surely am not that kind of player. Btw why so hostile? I anwsered one of your questions and corrected an error because its impossible to duck Raiden's f1. Anyways, just as @Farpafraf said record, upload and wait for someone to give you exact tips on what to do.
Because you were kind of a dick and said things like "Wow..... just wow," kind of implying the guy is stupid or awful.

REDRUM

www.twitter.com/redrum26
f12 is so good with TG instead of opening people up just wait for an opponents mistake and whiff punish...

But if you wanna raw open someone up b32 is great or b2 (if you got the option select stuff down do that cause it makes b2 much safer) etc etc

LaidbackOne

Scrubby nice guy
Because you were kind of a dick and said things like "Wow..... just wow," kind of implying the guy is stupid or awful.
How is saying wow implying that he is stupid? At the most that he doesn't know his own tools which is not anything bad. Fuck me, you people are overreacting so hard its incredible.

REDRUM

www.twitter.com/redrum26
How do they duck a mid hitting 6 frame move? Hard to give you tips on opening people up with a top character. If it comes to "safe strings and block stunning", you know you have tons of armor moves, right? Wow, just wow.

There are plenty of ppl who come to TYM to try and learn. Ok maybe plenty is overstating it but why come off condescending?

Chaosphere

The Free Meter Police
You can do a lot of mashing f1 in the neutral game to interrupt things after
How is saying wow implying that he is stupid? At the most that he doesn't know his own tools which is not anything bad. Fuck me, you people are overreacting so hard its incredible.
I think you're backpedaling and getting defensive. Maybe next time someone new asks a question you won't be a douche about it.

• Spam the hell out of f12back2. f12 can punsish everything that is punishable and also leads to a full combo.
  • If you notice that your opponent keeps attacking after you enter the safe f12b2, armor and full combo.
  • Raiden can and will ALWAYS push his opponent to the corner. There is no way to stop it. This is where you mixup and continue to rely heavily on f12.
  • Only use b2 when you can afford to take that risk or you have conditioned your opponent to block low. It is easily read and super UNSAFE.
  • Big combos are great and all but as TG Raiden focus on building meter and keeping pressure. Once your opponent is opened, they tend to remain open.
  • B3 is okay but isn't nearly as fast as f12 so don't use it on reaction
  • Quit trolling your own thread by responding to every little insult. It defeats your own purpose and just makes you look whiney. It's the internet. We nerds are obnoxious.

Last edited: