What's new

Question - Liu Kang How do I get out of FF/DF liu pressure?

im getting bodied by the pressure liu kang puts on me. How do I deal with it?
There is a gap at the end of punch flurry or whatever. You can just armor through it. Also some LK players stagger is 213 by just using 21, it's negative and you can counter him

Block low unless you see him throw the two punches that are followed by the overhead.
BLOCKINGLOW IS KEY.

Look at the combo strings that give you trouble in practice mode and learn whats negative on block..

I main liu

If you get hit by windmill punches/bicylcle kicks.. YOU HAVE TO BLOCK whatever he does next, if you dont he's hitting you with another combo

Ravosa

Wild Card
Block low unless you see him throw the two punches that are followed by the overhead.
BLOCKINGLOW IS KEY.

Look at the combo strings that give you trouble in practice mode and learn whats negative on block..

I main liu

If you get hit by windmill punches/bicylcle kicks.. YOU HAVE TO BLOCK whatever he does next, if you dont he's hitting you with another combo
There's a gap at the end of windmill punch where you can armor

He only has a couple positive on block strings,

If you always block low and dont get hit with the easily foreshadowed launcher, you'll have a very long match ahead of you.. Just low poke your way out of almost any of his regular strings and you have your offense started

YoloRoll1stHit

Publicly Educated
-f213xxSF cancel: It's +15 and he can follow up with anything he wants afterwards. You have to respect it
-f44xxSF cancel: Around +7 or so and if he decides to follow up with a f44/f213/b12 you can backdash or armor through. A f12(a 6 frame jab) will jail you so watch out for this.
-112/b34/b33xxSF cancel: Same deal as the f44 but these strings have some issues since they're slow(b34,b33) or hit high twice(112,111).
-b12xxSF cancel: It's negative on block and shouldn't really be done unless the Liu player is ballsy and tries to read a wakeup.

-Windmill PunchxxDragon's Roar: Has a large gap in between that can be poked, jumped, armored, or even full comboed if your normal is fast enough. If you block the Dragon's roar then you will be at +2 but pushed back. Usually your best choice is to mash a low profiling move because if they do EX dragon's roar it will whiff and you'll poke them. ***Note that Sub Zero's/Reptile's slide will just be like LOL nope and go right through LK and not hit him, so keep that in mind.
-Windmill punchxxParry: If you attempt to punish the WP with a mid hitting move then the parry will hit, but low hitting moves will beat the parry.
Windmill punchxxDragon kick/High fireball: Both of them hit high and will beat you if you try to punish the WP with a normal. But both are full combo punishable on block, can be armored through, and using d3/d4 will cause both to whiff.
Windmill punchxxLow fireball: The only option that cannot be poked out of but is extremely unsafe and armored through.
Windmill punchxxSF: Full combo punishable.
SF stands for shaolin-ferno....I think
You have to tell which character you're using against Liu so we can help better
For me, Hollywood Cassie is a good pick against flame fist. The safe armored launcher ex flip kick will help a lot

Phosferrax

Original Liu Kang cop.
Block WP low and some hits will whiff, reducing the chip damage. Learn the post-WP guessing game and your options. F44 and F213 EX SF are the only strings that are plus, everything else is a gimmick. Learn where Liu is likely to stagger his strings, and armour before the last hit of ex wp.

Ravosa

Wild Card
I just put the flame fist tag on it because it made me pick a variation. He uses DF also. In the lab I know when I can armor and shit but he has so many mind games that switch his pressure up in DF. I play sub btw.

Block WP low and some hits will whiff, reducing the chip damage. Learn the post-WP guessing game and your options. F44 and F213 EX SF are the only strings that are plus, everything else is a gimmick. Learn where Liu is likely to stagger his strings, and armour before the last hit of ex wp.
also 112, 44 and 2nd hit of b34 are plus but dont remember about last hit of b34