What's new

Question How do I further myself as a player...

gunterxc

WOOLAY
this "late" into the game? This game is two years old now and I've actually had it for awhile, but am just starting to get into the "competitive" aspect. Basically, I was your usual newb crouch-uppercut guy. Over the past few weeks I've been lurking here and reading up on a lot of helpful topics, but they all mean nothing if I can never get the experience and chance to apply all these things. This is where I see is an issue.

The only way I can practice is by going online, but every time I go online I either face people who are too easy (somehow that's hard to believe with how much I suck) and offer no challenge, or your godlike (relative to my skill) players. Both of these groups I think offer me no benefit because one either is beaten too easy where I slack and don't even bother applying what I've learned, or they just destroy me instantly because I have no idea what's going on. What should I do?

RYX

BIG PUSHER
ask people who are on TYM to play with you, best way to level up besides playing offline with people.

I'd also say look for people on or just above your skill level so you can learn at a comfortable rate, best to learn the basics first

Rampage254

Ayy Lmao
Yea, just ask numerous people from TYM to play you until you find people you enjoy playing and feel pike they're helping you level up.

RYX

BIG PUSHER
It's also helpful to consult guides and videos to get an idea of what you can do with certain moves and how you can apply them to how you like to play.

gunterxc

WOOLAY
I have one or two people from here on my friends list, but our times don't seem to meet up very often. I never thought about asking because I feel like I'd just get players who fit into that "godlike" category.

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
You could play with other quan players so that you understand what is going on some more at first (@HGTV DrFlash44 is a great choice) and there are also players like myself who would be willing to tone it down and work on fundamentals with you.

gunterxc

WOOLAY
You could play with other quan players so that you understand what is going on some more at first (@HGTV DrFlash44 is a great choice) and there are also players like myself who would be willing to tone it down and work on fundamentals with you.
I've thought about that and I always felt like I would be a burden on someone because I'm making them play a certain way. I guess it helps that I actually posted and realized that I'm wrong, though.

I have a good grasp on combos and whatnot, it's just that my groundwork is sloppy. Poking, frame data, patience, all that stuff. I'm stuck in the mindset where "YOU MUST GET COMBOS TO WIN! THAT'S ALL YOU HAVE TO GO FOR!"

gunterxc

WOOLAY
This may seem discouraging at first, but these are the people you need to play.
True, because EVENTUALLY I'd have to pick up on what they're doing and figure out what to counter with, but I think it would make more sense to play with people around my skill level, right? Although that's a bit hard to find right now.

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
I've thought about that and I always felt like I would be a burden on someone because I'm making them play a certain way. I guess it helps that I actually posted and realized that I'm wrong, though.

I have a good grasp on combos and whatnot, it's just that my groundwork is sloppy. Poking, frame data, patience, all that stuff. I'm stuck in the mindset where "YOU MUST GET COMBOS TO WIN! THAT'S ALL YOU HAVE TO GO FOR!"
No, most players here would be glad to help. And yeah you really have to build up that patience and knowledge, it takes some time.

gunterxc

WOOLAY
Well, if that's the case I'll be on in a couple hours if anyone wants to help. Thanks for the advice so far.

What happens when I'm facing godlike people and getting destroyed is that I'm too concentrated (looking at one small thing) on gameplay and not focused (looking at the game as if I was a spectator). If you can, try recording your matches. When you face someone godlike, take a good long break that doesn't have anything to do with fighting games, and then watch. Study what you do wrong. Often times you'll keep trying the same things and you'll notice that habit when you see yourself playing. Another thing to do is read all the guides you can, and watch high level play with your character. When I'm feeling down about my gameplay, I watch tournament videos of xSmokex who's the most amazing Smoke. I see what he does and how he reacts and I do my best to emulate it.

gunterxc

WOOLAY
Well, I'm on now if, uh, anyone wants to.. "help" I guess. If not, I understand. Just send me a message or something.

Lulzlou

Noob
What I did was actively look for people to play with from here even if I got ignored. I got constantly ignored and barely found people to play with for a long time. There aren't many MK online streams now but those are one of the reasons I got better. The best thing to do is stop trying to win online. Focus on different mix ups and find your bad habits. Even if you get blown up pretty bad, always try to figure out what you are doing wrong. After I stopped blaming lagg for losing online and accepted losing to bullshit I became a lot better.

Also spend at least 20-30minutes a day on execution. Practice different block strings, combos and even scenarios. Lately I've been putting 2-3hours on and off daily for execution. It really depends on the character you play. Some can worry less about execution than others.

Don't rush yourself this late in the game. Have a good time while still trying to level up. If you are so obsessed with winning you'll end up getting too frustrated and probably quit. There is no easy way to level up. Its all based on your dedication and free time.

Johnny2d

Xbl: Johnny2Die
Embrace the godlike beatings. Seek out people that will go to work on you, the worse you get beat the more you can learn. The only thing is, you have to be able to see it from an outside perspective, so getting video will really help.

Also, starting a journal will help you develop good self analysis, not just for your mistakes, but for your good moves. When you win, list the reasons why you won. When you lose, write the reasons why you think you might have lost. Its hard to fix everything all at once after reading a guide but from a journal, you can recognize patterns, and you can decide one or two things to work on at a time.

Find small goals to focus on in every match... 'this match im not getting jumped in on', 'this match im using my anti air at least once', then later on, 'this time I want to use a tic throw at least once', then 'this time I want to land a counter poke', 'today I'm focusing on my sneaky new reset', 'staying out of the corner', 'working my opponent into the corner', 'whiff punishing'... etc. Every character has a hundred things you could choose from as a small goal on a given day. Walking in to a tourney and winning right away isnt likely, but meeting small goals is the road to improvement. Keep track of how you are doing with these, otherwise its easy to fall into old habits.

These are my two cents anyway. If you are on xbox you can add me for matches if you would like. Lastly, ask for feedback from players who are better than you, and take your medicine when they give it, no excuses, just soak it in and say thank you.

Sent from M-Class Star Freighter USCSS Nostromo

gunterxc

WOOLAY
Going off on a tangent after you mentioned streaming, I forgot what stream I was watching but I think I saw you play recently. I've also decided to start a new religion dedicated to xblade's Liu Kang.

I'm constantly practicing in training if I'm on Mortal Kombat because I never find anyone to play, but the online-offline difference always gets me. I whiff combos I should never whiff. Guess more experience will handle all of that in due time.

The journal sounds like an extremely good idea, notice patterns in your play and whatnot. I'm glad you suggested that, I think I'll do it. The small goals idea is helpful too. I'll add you tonight but I probably won't be on.

Johnny2d

Xbl: Johnny2Die
Yeah ive been journaling games since I was a kid. Any time I wanted to figure something out or beat a hard game I document what goes well or goes poorly so I can do better the next time.

I play in spurts. Somedays I'll be on all day, then I might not get many matches in for a while. Add lots of people that play and eventually your schedule has to align with someone lol.

Sent from M-Class Star Freighter USCSS Nostromo

Justice

Noob
Losing a lot is a learning experience but getting bodied is just frustrating. Don't be afraid to accept a challenge from anyone. When you get beat by someone who is markedly better than you, msg them and ask if they would be willing to help you out in any way; like asking if they could explain how they beat you to if they'd be willing to slow things down for you or run strings so you can learn how to deal with them. Also, try to have as long of sets as you can with anyone you play. This will help you learn by more exposure to higher-level players and improve your "battle execution" against weaker players.

In addition to working on execution in the Lab, also experiment with links and cancels and all around effed-up strategies. Doing things this way will make you remember them better as opposed to mimicing a video on youtube or something. Also, take the time in the Lab to learn the spacing of your moves. This will help you learn visually what space you control and show you what options you have at a given distance.

Coming into any game this late is always a frustrating experience since the majority of players still playing are the die-hards and hardcore players and you will always be in a position of catch-up. Don't let this dissuade you. Stick with it and before you know it, you'll be pwning all over the place :cool:

Hope this helps a little :D

gunterxc

WOOLAY
Well since trying to find people to play with is what I should be doing right now... if anyone who sees this post would be so kind as to play with me so I stop sucking, it would be nice.

Thanks for all the help and advice so far from everyone.

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Former Owner
Premium Supporter
this "late" into the game? This game is two years old now and I've actually had it for awhile, but am just starting to get into the "competitive" aspect. Basically, I was your usual newb crouch-uppercut guy. Over the past few weeks I've been lurking here and reading up on a lot of helpful topics, but they all mean nothing if I can never get the experience and chance to apply all these things. This is where I see is an issue.

The only way I can practice is by going online, but every time I go online I either face people who are too easy (somehow that's hard to believe with how much I suck) and offer no challenge, or your godlike (relative to my skill) players. Both of these groups I think offer me no benefit because one either is beaten too easy where I slack and don't even bother applying what I've learned, or they just destroy me instantly because I have no idea what's going on. What should I do?
It's been a little while since I've played, but I learned Jax pretty damn well before I went on hiatus. I only work at night on Mondays, Thursdays, and Fridays, so pretty much any time you want someone to do some friendly sparring with, just hit me up. I'd be happy to get back into the swing of things, and help you learn your characters in the process.

D

Deleted member 9158

Add me, I'll go a few with you once I'm back in town