What's new

Question How do I feel smart playing Doomsday?

I've been called braindead for playing this character. His execution requirements aren't too high but I personally think he's a blast.

So this is a thread for match moments that felt rewarding. Grabbing cross ups with DF1 feels nice.

Vilén

too smart to play MKX
Braindead Doomsdays get crushed, so this thread is basically just for people to tell everyone when they win a match.

VizNasty

Noob
Some of what people say about DD being for dummies is kind of true. Some higher level players use him, and they do things I can only dream of. They aren't dummies. I, on the other hand, stink at fighting games. Doomsday is a good way into this game, as relatively new players like me can use him with some ability and not just use basics and spamming one move over and over. Because I feel like I can use all of his main moves and some combos, I feel like he was the right choice.

I'm evidence for those saying he's simple to use. He's relatively simple to use, for sure. This still doesn't mean guys like OP can't do crazy high-level stuff with him. Especially now that every good opponent has a book (or 4) on him.

Lumpymoomilk

Online Punching Bag
Yeah doomsday is the dumb one when we have people like Black adam getting 19% damage for using meter with a special move fullscreen that hits low and is super fast plus a super safe dive kick. Grundy with unblockable armored grabs into unclashable throws for following a button sequence, Deathstroke shooting fullscreen like there's no tomorrow, Aquaman with a longer poke range than Doomsday but nobody calls him braindead because he can press an extra 2 buttons to make it look like a fancy combo. Superman with his string of wonder that beats everything into breath to push people away so he can laser blast you some more.
But doomsday's the dumbest. :rolleyes:

TheRFG

Noob
You can have reasonable success with DD just button mashing. It's kinda fun to be mindless with him, and burn a lot of meter

Sasarix

"Heaven Will Fall!"
The ones calling Doomsday a brain dead character are scrubs and you should laugh at their hate mail and forget you even played against them. They most likely got run over in a match and in true scrub fashion they call your character brain dead to help explain away their loss. Someone posted this before but I guess not enough people read it so here I will post it again....

http://www.sirlin.net/articles/playing-to-win-part-1.ht

Some people don't know how to lose so they have to come up with some reason that they lost the match that wasn't their fault. "Your character is brain dead", "The monitor was lagging", "It was the PS3" and so on and so on.

VizNasty

Noob
I don't see why having a range of skill-intensiveness is bad for a fighting game. DD isn't simple enough for a bad player to beat a good player maining a more skill-intensive character. Having a range of difficulties (in terms of using the character) seems like diversity required to attract many to games like this. Fighting games have a high barrier of entry, and most gamers are casual. Seems to me IGAU is appealing to both the skilled hardcore peeps and the casual newbs. Seems good to me.

G4S Ermacio

Orbs... Orbs everywhere
I just started playing him, and i will admit he is easy, but isnt that part of the fun? To be able to catch on to a character really fast at the intermediate level and be able to work on his higher level strategies faster, personally i really like him and im already having sooooo much fun making some crazy reads and wasting all of the meter haha. But in conclusion because i know that wasnt clear at all, doomsday is easy to catch on to, BUT requires just as much skill as anyone else to play

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

cyke_out

Noob
Doomsday is easy to control. But he is only easy to win versus idiots and scrubs. You want to feel smart using doomsday? Beat an opponent that knows how to avoid supernova, how to block earth shaker and strategies for getting around MB venom.

CamRac

Noob
Doomsday is easy to control. But he is only easy to win versus idiots and scrubs. You want to feel smart using doomsday? Beat an opponent that knows how to avoid supernova, how to block earth shaker and strategies for getting around MB venom.
This is actually something that is troubling me about DD... As games age, two classes tend to emerge as being the strongest: the zoner who is safe on everything with tons of options, and the rushdown character that has mixups for days, damage, and a solid way to deal with said uber zoner. After all, once you learn how to block things that seem strong in the beginning (i.e. supernova), what is left except for confusion/mixups and extreme keep out?

Point is, what will DD become? I feel like he may not be strong enough to stand the test of time. It's already hard to fight good players, since he doesn't really have a good high-low game and he doesn't do a ton of damage. His pressure is good and he can still crunch a ton of characters, but I just don't see him hanging around A-tier. Thoughts?

I started playing Doomsday for fun. I always liked him as a villian. I stick with him because he's still fun and I suck at stringed combos. I do get beat a lot because he has a big hurtbox--his super moves can get stuffed by a decent gadget player like Batman. He is easy to use but hard to master.

DuskAlloy

You don't got the cash, You don't get the ass
No character in this game is extremely hard to use offline, online might be different but what ever, so it really doesnt matter if he is braindead or not lol

volkmair

Noob
When playing against someone who knows how Doomsday rolls I actually feel like I've played pretty smart when beating them as the derpy stuff won't work on them.

I beat DD with Superman. Want to Supernova MB? you get F23 Breath or lasered back to your corner. Some DD are predictable but the good ones are nightmares.