What's new

Question - Kung Jin How do I deal with pressure?

Alright, so.

I'm playing Kung Jin. Now, when I face people who pressure like crazy - maybe in the corner - , and they're spamming combos at me and then in between them doing a d3/d1 before returning to combos, how do I stop that?

If I have no meter and all I can do is attack in between frames, I feel like it just doesn't work. Command list tells me that the fastest attack Kung Jin has is 7 frames, d1, so I figure I use that to poke in between where I can. But a lot of the times, I find that their attack connects first, and my d1 ends up getting punished.

What do you mountain do in the situation?

Dinosaur

Data Collecting
kung jin always jumps when i corner him and d2's i think thats it anyway whatever his overhead with the staff is. Then turns that into a 30-35% combo, its the bane of my existence.

Scott The Scot

Where there is smoke, there is cancer.
Once you block the opponents d1/d3, immediately press YOUR d1/d3 or whatever fast move you have because they're definitely not at an advantage (unless you're predator for some stupid reason lol :p). This is a called a counterpoke.

thlityoursloat

kick kick
'Spam combos'? Man, KJ players are the worst combo spammers ever. They always spam EX Bo Swing into the same boring combo over and over.
Don't be a Hippocrate.

Kingshootahz

Ain't nobody trilla than shootah.
#BuffTheNetcode
Lmao every salty or whining posit thread I see you,trying to give buffs to something:D

Oh yea and Op if you are in the corner you should basically know the match up and either grab, neutral jump or jump over your opponent. Or punish whatever unsafe things they are 'spamming' you with. kung jin isn't meter dependent you have a lot of tools,use them.

Last edited:

Asodimazze

https://twitter.com/AlfioZacco
Once you block the opponents d1/d3, immediately press YOUR d1/d3 or whatever fast move you have because they're definitely not at an advantage (unless you're predator for some stupid reason lol :p). This is a called a counterpoke.
Or Liu Kang

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
First off, welcome to Mortal Kombat, the most retarded fighting game ever. There is no spam, only pork.
Joking aside, everything in the game has a "counter". You just have to figure out what it is. Unfortunately the game is very unfriendly to people who are new to fighting games, but it's not hopeless.
The first thing is stop getting annoyed at losing. Play to learn, at first. Mashing out what seems like an iWin-Button tends to be the go-to strategy for inexperienced players but as a wiser man than I, said it once: in fighting games, not doing anything is often better than pressing buttons.
I will not be able to teach you fighting games because I'm not great at them either and it's not an overnight hand-in-lap ride, but I can tell you a couple things that will start you off in hopefully the right direction.

Alright, here's what you do.
1. Forget the term "spamming", it's not a fighting game term. If you lose to the same shit, you're probably doing the same shit but the wrong same shit.
To put it in perspective, if "That idiot always uppercuts me when I jump", the problem is not the uppercut, the problem is the jumping.
The sooner you adopt this mindset and start to figure out what you're doing wrong, the better.
2. Kung Jin has what I like to call an armoured normal. Bojutsu. He spins around and hits and if you meterburn it, it gains armour and it's even a combo starter. It's a ridiculously good move. That's a good way of breaking out of pressure.
Then he has his neutral jump punch which also launches and reaches all the way from here to the moon and back. Also a ridiculously good move.
But figuring out frame data and what your pokes are for is essential and that's what you need before you learn long combos and other junk that's mk-specific and has nothing to do with fighting game fundamentals in the end.