What's new

Question - Sub-Zero How do I beat Sub Zero?

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
I've spent a good amount of time finding and playing Sub Zero players.
I've also tried every setup in training mode, trying to figure out what to do against him.

He has an absolute brickwall (ice clone) that no zoning goes through, that gives him a free combo the moment you touch it. This means that Sub Zero cannot be rushed down, he'll win that game.
He has an absolute projectile with it (ice ball), that wins every tade and gains him a combo every time he wins that trade.
Coupled up with Ice Clone, this means that Sub Zero cannot be zoned. He'll win the zoning game unless you can teleport. Even then, there are no safe teleports and he can just move past his clone on reaction. So he wins that game.

Cannot be zoned. Cannot be rushed down. Overhead, low, both leading to pretty decent damage.
I find him really hard to beat. In MK9 you could hit him with projectiles through the clone at least.

So, the question stands.
How do I beat Sub Zero?

NB Semi Evil Ryu

Former Sub-Zero of the Midwest (2011 - 2015)
First thing I would do is learn the range where if Sub-Zero attempts a clone, nothing comes out. Learn that range and make that your new home.

And then go from there.

Or pick a ground zoner like Quan Chi. The kind of zoning that Sub will be forced to block and thus: making the clone go away.

LaidbackOne

Scrubby nice guy
Of course Sub can be rushed down or zoned (tho its kinda dangerous). Imo patience and timing is the key here. If it comes to GM mixups, you should guard low and react to b2, its punishable by some characters (not all from what I know).

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
Cassie, Hollywood
Kitana, RoyalTrash
Sonya, CombatStanceKickYoFaceIn
Raiden, Whenever I'm done with exams I'll pick him up.

Blade4693

VIVIVI
Well I have not come across a high level Grandmaster player like Tom Brady yet but the ones I have come across always use that set up (Ice clone, stand behind it, throw ice balls, etc.) and I usually win by not jumping in and rushing down if he manages to gains that distance. I just chill and wait, maybe throw some machetes and get ready to block (since I know either slide or ice ball is coming) eventually he will try to throw the ice clone or slide in once he realizes im not going to fall for the trap and that's where I usually turn things around by staying in his face and not letting him regain that distance. Some times they wont come in at all but ex machete toss and ex charge usually can let me close the distance if it comes down to that.

Its not fool proof, but it works for me most of the time, or at least against the Grandmaster players I have come across so far lol.

SaJa

FH_FenriR
I have hard time with Erron Black so I pick Ferra Torr in vicious. His projectiles (db2, bf4) breaks clones + iceball + subzero. It's godlike, you can easily outzone the pussy.

His neutral is also pretty good when sub is rushing you. You have Ferra slide vs his slide, and a charge armor + overhead for the corner. ;)

exflyingbooty

This dream has a sad ending
Kitana, RoyalTrash
  • ex fan raise will catch him goes full screen and evades ice clone
  • stay full distance away and fan into tk fan
I really how in order to beat this mu with kitana it's so meter dependent besides i'm going to pick up takeda just to deal with this mu

Noserfatu

My eyes! The goggles do nothing!
I was about to post this exact same thread, so thanks for saving me the time. I face way more cryomancer than grandmaster, and I can't even beat cryomancer.

I play cassie and sonya and I like to poke a lot. I can't poke fucking shit against sub zero because his overhead is amazing. I'm the type of player that likes to spend a lot of time on the ground spacing with my strings, and poking. Can I not do this against sub zero? it sure seems like I can't.

It seems like his moves have great hurt boxes, but I can't hit him. His overhead (obviously), slide is amazing, way better than MK9, and his low string is good.

He rushes me down. Fucking Sub Zero, a character that is designed to turtle with iceball trades, rushes me down and I always seem to guess wrong against his moves.

It kinda sucks when online Scorpions and Sub Zeroes are the most popular characters, and they also seem to be the cheesiest.

pick goro and punchwalk him and his stupid clone at the same time
Play Kuatan, and Ground Pound anytime he goes behind a clone in GM. In unbreakable, Ground Pound every time the Ice shield goes up. Hell, if you're full screen, you even stuff EX slide with the two hits of Ground Pound. Dare I say Kuatan Goro can outzone Sub Zero? I've played both ends of the matchup, and even though Goro is not the scariest character to deal with, he seems to have more options fighting Sub than some of the cast.

Scott The Scot

Where there is smoke, there is cancer.
He likes to throw out Ice Clones and hide behind them, eh? Easy. Walk him towards the corner and once he's there and his clone expires - rek his noob butt. Normally they get offensive when they have their back to the corner and jump, so if you read that just walk back and trip guard or prepare to anti-air. Patience is the key, remember Subs ice ball does 0 chip so don't be scared about that. He has to come out and fight eventually.

Braindead

I want Kronika to step on my face
He likes to throw out Ice Clones and hide behind them, eh? Easy. Walk him towards the corner and once he's there and his clone expires - rek his noob butt. Normally they get offensive when they have their back to the corner and jump, so if you read that just walk back and trip guard or prepare to anti-air. Patience is the key, remember Subs ice ball does 0 chip so don't be scared about that. He has to come out and fight eventually.
What kind of scrubby-ass Sub-Zeros have you been playing? Lol. A smart Sub-Zero would walk himself into a corner just to do an ex slide and it's good night and good luck.

So yeah, you shouldn't be very happy about cornering Sub-Zero.