What's new

Match-up Discussion How are you winning the Killer Frost matchup?

I main Green Lantern and play KF as a 3rd go to counter pick. Lantern's slow normals, bad wake up options, and predictable approach hurt him in this match up. 8-2

all you have to do is pick superman and jump in the air and do his braindead eye lasers
No, unless you Meter Burn the Laser Killer Frost can slide punish an air laser from about half screen. From full screen she can get closer for free, which you should not do.

You're right, it's just like KT Smith said, it's a 50/50 guessing game where she dictates it (YOLO Slide or F+3).

I know this kind of game sucks, but that's a NRS' fault. But, once you get the mind game of your opponent it makes it easier to win the game. You must be absolutely perfect on this match up, don't drop the combos and punish everything that is punishable, you need to take a lot of risks.

Once you start to get her game, you see the pattern in all the Killer Frost players, there's not many variations. I'm able to overmatch her by 7-3 most of the times.

I can tell you that I have much more problems playing against Aquaman than against Killer Frost.
Any matchup where you have to take constantly significant risks against a character who does more damage for less risk taking is quite bad. Congrats on being able to beat her 7-3, but an optimized Frost that utilizes all of her tools can lock a Lantern down with constant mixups and you are essentially forced to Pushblock her away.

That and she can essentially punish most of Lantern's tools hard (That Rocket he rides on gets him murdered in this matchup), and she is one of the best at getting out of trouble for cheap.

The KF match up is 8-2 in her favor. Green Lantern has to take high risk chances that get punished for high damage. Once people learn to fuzzy guard GL on wake up it might end up being 9-1...until she gets nerfed.
8-2 is crazy talk. Don't get me wrong, this matchup is very bad for Lantern, but not 8-2. More like a 6-4 leaning towards 7-3.

I do agree though Green Lantern is very easy to block in melee. One of the easiest in the game to block up close if you can react to an overhead.

Is this thread full of Green Lantern downplayers??? I main KF, but use GL as an alt and this is making me sick.
Admittedly I think Green Lantern is overrated, but still in the top half of the characters in this game. Once I spent some time to decipher him (by playing and by going in the lab). I quickly realized he wasn't anything special. Which is unfortunate because he is one of my favorite DC Characters and I was planning on using him on a regular basis.

Dizzy

False Information Police Officer
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
Probably a disadvantage MU for GL but 8-2 or 9-1 is a bit much, lol

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
I deal with it by staying the air with nightwing and using wing dings. Very helpful in this match.

I also Neutral jump a lot in situations where I read they are going to slide. When they go under me, they eat a full combo. I neutral jump her on every wakeup, if she don't slide, I meaty jump 3 with nightwing. I stay out of staff mode in this matchup.

RiBBz22

TYM's Confirmed Prophet/Time-Traveler
Air Oa rocket is really good in this MU against Frost especially after jumping daggers. I feel like GL has all the tools he needs in this MU to be quite honest. For me what I hate about playing Frost when I am using GL is when my b13 or b12 is interrupted by parry.

To deal with random slides I just air Oa rocket a lot and look for opportunities for a jump back punish if I am in the air with j3 into lift on hit. Blocking the slide obviously isn't the best strategy because of the parry. However, if she is not sitting on parry directly after a slide you should be able to b12 b13 into a combo.....If she is expecting that she can interrupt it after the b1 on block. It is a guessing game, but KF still has to make a good read and execute the parry correctly in both scenarios. If you feel like the KF player is adept at reading and parrying your b12/b13 then you can always throw out a b1 LM which obviously is extremely risky since it is punishable.

On the flip side when I play against Lantern with Frost I am almost always blocking low so I guess that is something to think about when trying to figure out how to take advantage of players favoring their guard stance.

Air Oa rocket is really good in this MU against Frost especially after jumping daggers. I feel like GL has all the tools he needs in this MU to be quite honest. For me what I hate about playing Frost when I am using GL is when my b13 or b12 is interrupted by parry.

To deal with random slides I just air Oa rocket a lot and look for opportunities for a jump back punish if I am in the air with j3 into lift on hit. Blocking the slide obviously isn't the best strategy because of the parry. However, if she is not sitting on parry directly after a slide you should be able to b12 b13 into a combo.....If she is expecting that she can interrupt it after the b1 on block. It is a guessing game, but KF still has to make a good read and execute the parry correctly in both scenarios. If you feel like the KF player is adept at reading and parrying your b12/b13 then you can always throw out a b1 LM which obviously is extremely risky since it is punishable.

On the flip side when I play against Lantern with Frost I am almost always blocking low so I guess that is something to think about when trying to figure out how to take advantage of players favoring their guard stance.
I agree with a lot of your post. But heaven forbid Lantern gets behind on life:(

And as always if you think she is going to go into this parry guessing game you can always just throw.
I REALLY wish teching throws wasn't so easy in this game, but might as well go for it. I am amazed at how bad players are at teching throws (at least from what I have seen).

Nolan1654

Green Lantern Corps
Lol I play against a really good frost and I have won 6-7 matches in a row and I've sometimes almost been 10-0ed but now we have been playing the mu for a while now KF easily has a 6-4 or 7-3 in this match up. It's a 50/50 guessing game every where and its in her favor since she does more damage lol. Before id punish slide with throw and I thought okay at least something punishes slide no slide is a 50/50 also since she can jump your grab it whiffs and you get comboed. Or you try to predict she will jump and go for LM and catch her for 32% but if she didn't you get punished for 39%. So basically she can pick what she wants to do and all she has to fear is a 11% grab punish or a 32% lm mb. While you gotta fear 39% in both areas plus a 50/50 reset. And mind you this is slide on block. You basically gotta hope you can stay mid range the whole game which is impossible with slide and also if you jump and do a air oa she can easily dash under you for an uppercut while your on your way down and punish you. And if she has full meter its a wrap since if you air oa she can just pop super and hit you full screen on your way down. All 50/50s are in favor of KF in this MU its insane, truly I believe probably the worst MU for GL.

What you can do in the killer frost matchup isn't as bad as what people make it seem. I play versus a killer frost almost everyday as my friend mains her. What i tend to do is wait for him to slide and after you block go into a grab. This gives you a chance to take the opportunity to atleast dash in, JUMP, and go for a mixup. You want to jump to avoid that wake up slide. Everyone usually does wake up slide. And if they going for slide almost full screen away, you have enough time (based on ur reactions) to LM. I have caught him a couple times doing this. Keep ur space against her and if you do get in "slide range" crouch block and go for grab. The opponent will eventually catch on so then they will back dash after the block and u should have enough time to b1.

What you can do in the killer frost matchup isn't as bad as what people make it seem. I play versus a killer frost almost everyday as my friend mains her. What i tend to do is wait for him to slide and after you block go into a grab. This gives you a chance to take the opportunity to atleast dash in, JUMP, and go for a mixup. You want to jump to avoid that wake up slide. Everyone usually does wake up slide. And if they going for slide almost full screen away, you have enough time (based on ur reactions) to LM. I have caught him a couple times doing this. Keep ur space against her and if you do get in "slide range" crouch block and go for grab. The opponent will eventually catch on so then they will back dash after the block and u should have enough time to b1.
Problem is if your buddy simply techs your grabs then you are both rather close in neutral, and against a good Killer Frost you do not want to let her close. She can go ham on Lantern with Trait Cancels Strings. I think a lot of people have the inclination of (I can punish a raw slide therefore Killer Frost is neutralized), but there is so much more to her than that. Her midscreen pressure imo is the best in the game once she gets in and Lantern is in big trouble. So basically going for grabs is actually setting your opponent up with they want to be assuming they can tech grabs. If you go for a pressure string after a slide anything after B1 that is a physical attack gets parried for full combo if she has meter. You could always go with the 223 string but if you get read for that really bad things begin happening to GL.

-LD50-

In a relationship with Killer Frost
Spare me because I am new to fighters entirely but I main KF and have plenty of trouble against GLs....

Pretty sure GL's air to air beats out KF.

KF can't raw slide to get in because you can just lift it.... thats definitely easy to do.

Zone her and she'll have a hard time getting in unless im doing something seriously wrong...

Cant jump-in and can't raw slide...
On a side note i really hope they dont nerf slide because her air to air is terrible and in a lot of matchups (including GL imo) she can't really jump much

feel free to reply and eat this post alive, im super new but these are my experiences from a more beginner level.

Orochi

Scorpion Scrub
Like the poster above said, Lantern's Might her slide for a free combo. Takes practice but doable at a good distance is safe on block, check this match at 4:27 on everything done wrong and then right vs Killer Frost

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
Like the poster above said, Lantern's Might her slide for a free combo. Takes practice but doable at a good distance is safe on block, check this match at 4:27 on everything done wrong and then right vs Killer Frost

That KF was garbage at 4:27

Pure garbage