What's new

Question - Mileena How are we opening opponents up?

Game Scavenger

Rage is true power!
Mileena was my first character in MKX.

If her roll was a low she would be a fantastic 50/50 character. Since it's not, you have to rely on her zoning/stage control and unsafe teleport. If you want rushdown 50/50 there are plenty of other characters that do it much better for less work.
Fantastic no but it's a step in the right direction however. I want Tele-kick to be overhead as well why it's a mid is beyond me.

diamond

Became a tier whore out of frustration
Same here. Unless something changes idk my game will be collecting dust which sucks cause I was going to sign up for CEO tournament this year too sigh.....
Whoa whoa don't go quitting the game over 1 character! There are a bunch more to choose from :D

Game Scavenger

Rage is true power!
Whoa whoa don't go quitting the game over 1 character! There are a bunch more to choose from :D
I'm just taking a break for now. The only reason I have MKX is because I wanted to do competitive using only Mileena. I tried the other characters and personally I find them boring so unless Skarlet or Frost get announced idk. No reason to have fighting game if I'm not investing time into it.

Last edited:

Game Scavenger

Rage is true power!
Do you guys only play characters who revolve around 50/50 blockstrings?
No. I've played a variety of characters in many different fighting games. MK wise Mileena, Skarlet, Kitana, Jade, and Frost. As long as a character has a good risk and reward I'm good.

diamond

Became a tier whore out of frustration
Do you guys only play characters who revolve around 50/50 blockstrings?
I don't mind a high risk character as long as the reward is high. Mileena right now is high risk, low reward which is a bad combination IMO.

I am trying to get better in the competitive scene and there would be no reason for me to play a character with average tools.

Johnny San

Shazzy's Biggest Fan
I don't mind a high risk character as long as the reward is high. Mileena right now is high risk, low reward which is a bad combination IMO.

I am trying to get better in the competitive scene and there would be no reason for me to play a character with average tools.
The problem I'm seeing is that players want to force risk into her playstyle. Forcing lows and overheads everywhere. She's not that kind of character.

Footsies?
I already made a lengthy post in another thread, (in which the author of the thread just copied and pasted all of my work and put it in the OP lol)

But Mr Claude isn't trolling here.

Mileena has a great whiff punishing move, B12 in piercing, which she can make the opponent play her game (for the most part, unlike gmaster sub ugh)
Mileena is also very powerful when she gets a knock down. She has many strings that are multi hitting, as well as safe mixups.
F1, standing 3, are great.

Off a d3, you can do 21u4, and play around with mabe doing 2 ex roll since the 1 is a low, etc.

But yes, footsies is an incredibly viable option when she basically stole kitana's f21, has a 7 frame roll to punish strict moves with low recov frames on whiff or block, as well as it serves as a great anti air.

Decent zoning.

Last edited:

BillStickers

Do not touch me again.
IMO you're not playing Mileena correctly if you're trying to play her safely. You need to make your opponent fear the roll. You need to train your opponent to block her mixups correctly, then blow them up with EX roll. You need to stop going for max damage and start going for knockdown setups. The trick is to stay out of neutral as much as humanly possible. If you're not poking or baiting, you're throwing and rolling. Keep at least 2 of your tools on the backburner at all times and pull them out at the last possible second to get the win. I see a lot of people hoping to play Mileena as an honest character but that's really not how she's meant to be played. Contrary to other posters, I think her risks reap a good reward relative to other characters in this game. Most of the problems I've had so far with her have been due to me not knowing how to block other characters, so obviously learning the roster's tools is essential for squeezing out every possible advantage. Play her like MK9 Kung Lao and I think you'll have a much easier time.

Swindle

Philanthropist & Asshole
I already made a lengthy post in another thread, (in which the author of the thread just copied and pasted all of my work and put it in the OP lol)

But Mr Claude isn't trolling here.

Mileena has a great whiff punishing move, B12 in piercing, which she can make the opponent player her game (for the most part, unlike gmaster sub ugh)
Mileena is also very powerful when she gets a knock down. She has many strings that are multi hitting, as well as safe mixups.
F1, standing 3, are great.

Off a d3, you can do 21u4, and play around with mabe doing 2 ex roll since the 1 is a low, etc.

But yes, footsies is an incredibly viable option when she basically stole kitana's f21, has a 7 frame roll to punish strict moves with low recov frames on whiff or block, as well as it serves as a great anti air.

Decent zoning.
This. I've found her to be one of the best bait/punish characters in the game. Too many trying to turn her into a rushdown monster. Make the opponent fear the knockdowns, that's where she shines. And save that meter for breakers... I've been playing her similarly to the way I play Kitana, and have been very successful. Oh, and as Mr. Stickers mentioned - Throw is your new best friend.

Last edited:

Game Scavenger

Rage is true power!

I agree.

EternityInBlack

Milly Vanilli
Save for some of the concerns in her forum (i.e. X-rays and D+1s whiffing at times), I think Mileena still has a lot of tools that she has that make her more formidable than her MK9 version in my opinion. This opinion is coming from the fact that she has to be played in a particular play style, like what many are saying here.

Personally, I try to train my opponent by alternating using the EX roll, 21(U)4, and F44. On wake up, that's when I'll try to throw in the F3 overhead if I read that they'll block low (thanks to the last two strings I mentioned) or, if they're almost to the brink, hit them with a EX roll if they're going to try and armor their wakeup.

Obviously I'm a filthy casual (hadn't been back here since 2011), but I'm open to seeing other people's setups with Mileena and I've already learned a lot by reading through this and many of the threads here.

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
Speaking of opening up. Something you guys probably know, but just felt like pointing this out. So, in Ravenous you get ghetto special overhead... I've tested it with 4 Mileena strings that have lows in them and the only one where you can mix them up is 24 or w/e it is. Pounce will whiff on the rest.

Guess that variation still doesn't change Mileena's gameplan that much.

Demoth

Noob
I get really annoyed when people say that Mileena's strengths are her neutral game / baiting attacks and punishing whiffs... that's everyone's strengths.

Almost all of Mileena's moves have horrible start up times and take forever to recover from. All you have to do is block low and it's pretty much a wrap, since her F3 is the slowest move in the game, and her two combo ending overheads can't be cancelled into anything.

Mileena is a high risk, low reward character. Her damage is great if you pull her combos off, but they require a lot of timing and for the enemy to make some pretty outrageous mistakes.

You can't open up someone who blocks low because your overheards give plenty of time for them to react, and when they do block it and they're someone like Erron Black / Kung Jin / Scorpion, be prepared to lose a third of your life bar and then be in prime position for them to start a 50/50 that will beat your wakeups, and if you guess wrong standing up, you lose another third of your life.

If it weren't for how strong certain characters have in their 50/50 game, Mileena might not feel so horribly lacking. Considering the power that people have found in Kung Jin and Erron Black, and why they're like 90% of everyone I fight, the game is just making me really sad.

TheGabStandard

The anticipation is killing me
I get really annoyed when people say that Mileena's strengths are her neutral game / baiting attacks and punishing whiffs... that's everyone's strengths.

Almost all of Mileena's moves have horrible start up times and take forever to recover from. All you have to do is block low and it's pretty much a wrap, since her F3 is the slowest move in the game, and her two combo ending overheads can't be cancelled into anything.

Mileena is a high risk, low reward character. Her damage is great if you pull her combos off, but they require a lot of timing and for the enemy to make some pretty outrageous mistakes.

You can't open up someone who blocks low because your overheards give plenty of time for them to react, and when they do block it and they're someone like Erron Black / Kung Jin / Scorpion, be prepared to lose a third of your life bar and then be in prime position for them to start a 50/50 that will beat your wakeups, and if you guess wrong standing up, you lose another third of your life.

If it weren't for how strong certain characters have in their 50/50 game, Mileena might not feel so horribly lacking. Considering the power that people have found in Kung Jin and Erron Black, and why they're like 90% of everyone I fight, the game is just making me really sad.
The points raised about Mileena's strength is on bait and whiff punishing is due to the fact that is how the character plays which is pretty much alien to everyone else who lives in 50/50 town.

Quite a few people say just block low and that's it but I feel it's the predictability of her offence is both a strength and a her weakness. Quite a few of her strings can be cancelled to EX Roll creating a 50/50 scenario mid-blockstring which is a risky but a good way to open people up.

I don't think she's low reward as her damage output is pretty good. Consistently dealing 30-36% meterless from almost every starter is good.

I feel Mileena is a fair character that is meter dependent to make herself really dangerous. Is she lacking compared to other characters? Sure she is and she has to earn all of her wins but I feel when played smartly she can be hard to deal with. Then again maybe I'm just seeing her through rose-tinted glasses and upplaying her :D

Demoth

Noob
The points raised about Mileena's strength is on bait and whiff punishing is due to the fact that is how the character plays which is pretty much alien to everyone else who lives in 50/50 town.

Quite a few people say just block low and that's it but I feel it's the predictability of her offence is both a strength and a her weakness. Quite a few of her strings can be cancelled to EX Roll creating a 50/50 scenario mid-blockstring which is a risky but a good way to open people up.

I don't think she's low reward as her damage output is pretty good. Consistently dealing 30-36% meterless from almost every starter is good.

I feel Mileena is a fair character that is meter dependent to make herself really dangerous. Is she lacking compared to other characters? Sure she is and she has to earn all of her wins but I feel when played smartly she can be hard to deal with. Then again maybe I'm just seeing her through rose-tinted glasses and upplaying her :D

I think it's moreso the fact that she has to burn meter to do what other characters can normally do that makes her so lacking.

And for a character that is meant to punish people, they made a lot of her moves really slow on start up, comparatively to a lot of other characters (other than ball roll).

The biggest issue, however, is the lag in this game; it's really hard for most people to understand what is and isn't viable when input lag screws up the timing of retaliation. Because Mileena's speed is so poor with normal moves, trying to punish moves you successfully blocked may worn offline, but not online, making her seem even worse than she actually is.

That said, I don't know of any pro players who have expressed interest in her. SonicFox dropped her because she is too unsafe and slow with a terrible pressure game.

TheGabStandard

I think it's moreso the fact that she has to burn meter to do what other characters can normally do that makes her so lacking.

And for a character that is meant to punish people, they made a lot of her moves really slow on start up, comparatively to a lot of other characters (other than ball roll).

The biggest issue, however, is the lag in this game; it's really hard for most people to understand what is and isn't viable when input lag screws up the timing of retaliation. Because Mileena's speed is so poor with normal moves, trying to punish moves you successfully blocked may worn offline, but not online, making her seem even worse than she actually is.

That said, I don't know of any pro players who have expressed interest in her. SonicFox dropped her because she is too unsafe and slow with a terrible pressure game.
I agree with all of this. So has SonicFox dropped her for good then?

Demoth

Noob
I agree with all of this. So has SonicFox dropped her for good then?
I'm pretty sure. He was discussing that she really doesn't bring anything to the table that other characters can't do better.

Who knows though, maybe he'll surprise us, or maybe someone else will.

TheGabStandard

I'm pretty sure. He was discussing that she really doesn't bring anything to the table that other characters can't do better.

Who knows though, maybe he'll surprise us, or maybe someone else will.
That's fair, its a shame as his knowledge would be welcomed but understandable.