What's new

HORI Mini Gamepad for PS4

This just came out recently and I picked one up last night. I was pretty skeptical based on reviews that said it was shit for fighting games, but I’m happy to report that’s not the case.

There was a very short adjustment period (about an hour) and then it was totally fine. I was doing Scarecrow command grabs and all types of Atom shenanigans. Didn’t feel like the pad was at fault for any combo drops at all.

I picked it up because I keep wrecking DS4’s and the mini USB Has always sucked at staying in for wired mode. Definitely satisfied for 30 bucks and reccomended for NRS games at least.

JBeezYBabY

Mr. Righteous
This just came out recently and I picked one up last night. I was pretty skeptical based on reviews that said it was shit for fighting games, but I’m happy to report that’s not the case.

There was a very short adjustment period (about an hour) and then it was totally fine. I was doing Scarecrow command grabs and all types of Atom shenanigans. Didn’t feel like the pad was at fault for any combo drops at all.

I picked it up because I keep wrecking DS4’s and the mini USB Has always sucked at staying in for wired mode. Definitely satisfied for 30 bucks and reccomended for NRS games at least.
Is it the Hori Fighting Commander controller??

Wow that looks....hella weird. Whats the advantage of using this controller than a regular PS4 controller ?Question mark?
the ps4 pad is pure trash imo. i would use a ps1 pad or at least a ps3 pad lol
the thing with this hori pads or other 3rd party pads is, if they broke u r screwed

Yeah, DS4 is DualShock 4. No worries.

The only real downside is that’s its designed for smaller (younger) hands, so unless you have dainty elf hands like me, you probably won’t like it.

And I actually prefer it’s dpad over the DS4.

Linkuei82

Live by the sword, Die by the sword

Why not get the current Hori FC or the older model with the rotating pad? Was it the price?

Cobainevermind87

Mid-match beer sipper
Only thing I'd recommend is getting another one for backup at some point if you really like it. I had a fighting commander 4 and LOVED it up until the d-pad went out. It happened to be at the worst time. There were no more left anywhere except for amazon if you wanted to pay double/triple the price, and the new fighting commander wasn't available yet. Don't get caught in no man's land between a phase out and new release. Best believe I got myself 2 of the new FC's lol.

Linkuei82

Live by the sword, Die by the sword
Only thing I'd recommend is getting another one for backup at some point if you really like it. I had a fighting commander 4 and LOVED it up until the d-pad went out. It happened to be at the worst time. There were no more left anywhere except for amazon if you wanted to pay double/triple the price, and the new fighting commander wasn't available yet. Don't get caught in no man's land between a phase out and new release. Best believe I got myself 2 of the new FC's lol.
Lol same. I actually have the two black FC's and the BB Blue pad version. Which I hardly use now because I play mostly on the Hori Rap4 and the Hori RapN.

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
The only thing I use a ds4 pad for is to turn on the ps4.

I've been sold on the hori pads but I'm not sure this would work for me. I do have 2 fc4's and had one of the old rotating ones.
Going to need another. I wore out my bb version. Wish I could just buy replacement parts for them. Stupid contact pads tear and it's game over.

Why not get the current Hori FC or the older model with the rotating pad? Was it the price?
Just convenience and the price, really. My DS4 crapped out and I was out at Target about to get another one when I saw the HORI pad. Looked up some reviews which were meh - but for 30 bucks, I decided to check it out. Happy I did. And if it craps out, I can replace it easily and for half the price.

KingHippo

Alternative-Fact Checker
I had one preordered for months, was not disappointed. I have used Hori Fighting Commanders for a couple of years now, but I like this one mainly because there's a modicum of touchpad functionality, which makes it comfortable to reset training mode in a lot of fighters as well as play other games that use the touchpad for a few things.

I have small hands so I find it to be perfect for what I want to use, plus it's super easy to just slip into the pocket when doing casuals.

Cobainevermind87

Mid-match beer sipper
What's wrong with DS4? Ive never had any problems with it.
It's just preference, nothing wrong with it. Some people prefer solid, well, connected d-pads. Also, having L2 and R2 as buttons instead of triggers makes for better run cancels. Also can't tell you many times I've missed pokes because I didn't release the trigger enough to stop blocking.

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
I think of pads and sticks as "tools"... and no "tool" makes the artist. Like buying the best paints and brushes will not make you a better painter and buying a 500 bucks arcade stick will not suddenly make you a better player.

I think it is pretty clear that people can be good with anything. They just need to be comfortable with it and learn how to use it. I mean isn't snake eyes using a ps2 pad to play elite level street fighter? I remember someone was in evo sf4 2 years back if it was not him.

Anyway, I'm nearly 7foot and anything small sucks imo! lol... this is in no way for me.. I am constantly looking for BIGGER pads and sticks! haha, but if it works for you then awesome!

Can you snap a shot on your phone comparing it to other controllers you have? The link dosn't look so "mini" in those hands?

just_2swift

MK1 is the best MK period.
Why wouldn't Sony make a ps elite controller with a d pad like the ps2 or ps3. Hell my PS3 and 2 pads out lasted my ds4 I never replaced them and I was a wave dashing beast in them days in tekken and in mk I was kaballing. They went threw hell and still in good shape.