What's new

Hori Fighting Commander 3 Pro *or* Fighting Stick V3

SilverKeyMan

Dropping Combos like a MotherFucker!
I'm planning on picking up a new controller for MK on the PS3. My controller experience is limited to:
1 - Arcade joystick for the original MK1.
2 - Sega genesis controller for MK2.
3 - XBox controller for MK:DA, MK:D, and MK:A.
4 - PS3 controller for MK (2011).

Since I've heard people speaking so highly about Hori, I've decided on one of the two following controllers:

Hori Fighting Commander 3 Pro: http://www.amazon.ca/PS3-Fighting-Commander-3-Pro/dp/B0057WDD6O/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1312515383&sr=8-9

Hori Fighting Stick V3: http://www.amazon.ca/Hori-HP3-59U-PS3-Fighting-Stick/dp/B0057WDBHA/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1312515383&sr=8-4

Now I know for sure that the Fighting Commander 3 Pro will be a huge improvement over the PS3 controller for me, since I often accidentally hit the joystick with my left thumb while inputting df commands. But the Fighting Stick V3 looks like it could be fun... I'm just not sure I would be good at using it.

Does Hori have a good reputation for both pads and joysticks? Are joysticks easy to use in Mortal Kombat, or do most people prefer pads? Which would you purchase, if given the chance?

TeaBag

Jack Daniel's Supporter
I used the FC3 for evo and only had 2 days to get used to it. It didn't fail me or fucked me over ONCE, and I'm extremely happy with it. I only had trouble adjusting to characters like Kabal, who I would say is one of, if not the hardest character to play on a pad. The few other people who got to try it out all agreed on what a great controller it is.

GNG Iniquity

#bufftaquito #punchwalk #whiffycage
Just got mine, this thing rules. Seriously this is the best pad I've had in a long long time. It's improved my game considerably. You can also rest it on your lap and play it stick style, which works surprisingly well, I was pulling off all my bnbs without any trouble.

edit: I forgot to mention that mine is magically imbued with the power of STATIC! +20 to FGs

Matix218

Get over here!
Just got mine, this thing rules. Seriously this is the best pad I've had in a long long time. It's improved my game considerably. You can also rest it on your lap and play it stick style, which works surprisingly well, I was pulling off all my bnbs without any trouble.

edit: I forgot to mention that mine is magically imbued with the power of STATIC! +20 to FGs
I've been using it since a little before salty battles 5 and I freaking LOVE it. I actually bought a second one just to have in reserve if my original gets beat up. At $35 bucks you really can not beat it

Tim Static

Adminerator
HORI has the best d-pads you'll find thats not on a Nintendo product. The 360 pads (EX2 and EX Turbo) along with the PS3 FC3 Pro are simply godlike.

Matix218

Get over here!
HORI has the best d-pads you'll find thats not on a Nintendo product. The 360 pads (EX2 and EX Turbo) along with the PS3 FC3 Pro are simply godlike.
Given the price (only 35 bucks) and how nice of a pad it is (and that it is wired which is a plus for tournaments) I am very surprised we don't see more people using this pad.

I know I love mine.

Tim Static

Adminerator
Given the price (only 35 bucks) and how nice of a pad it is (and that it is wired which is a plus for tournaments) I am very surprised we don't see more people using this pad.

I know I love mine.
it is relatively new as well, but the thing i didnt like about it was its bulk.

Im not a pad player in fighting games, but i usually buy and try out every single one made so I can have a true opinion on it. (sticks too)

Just wish they'd make this pad and the 360 HORI pads for both consoles.

GNG Iniquity

it is relatively new as well, but the thing i didnt like about it was its bulk.

Im not a pad player in fighting games, but i usually buy and try out every single one made so I can have a true opinion on it. (sticks too)

Just wish they'd make this pad and the 360 HORI pads for both consoles.
Honestly, it felt bulky for about half an hour, after that though I really started to notice the significance of the ergonomic design. It actually weighs less than the dualshock 3 too, which surprised me. It's a little deceptive by the looks alone. The plastic is sturdy, but it's light weight none the less. Personally, I prefer that as opposed to the dualshock 3's cheap plastic. I mean, I can drop this Hori or step on it by accident (which I did with a dualshock 3) and not manage to snap it. I mean, if you dropped this thing out of your car heading to some locals or a tournament, I think it'd be okay.

Also, I really like the fact that there's no little openings on the sides like the dualshock 3, I don't know about you guys but mine collects a lot of gunk and I have to clean that shit out once or twice a week; it's pretty disgusting. With the Hori, I can just go over it with some rubbing alcohol and easily clean it. But yeah, ultimately this thing is substantially better than the dualshock 3 and at the price it's a steal for the quality. I've heard that the 360 Hori pad isn't as nice though, merely by looking at it I wouldn't imagine it to be.

Doesn't have the rotating dpad, doesn't have the dpad settings(I like mine on wide), nor the ergonomic design. But yeah, I wish this specific pad was released for 360. The EX 2 just looks to me like a nice 2nd party 360 controller, but that's all it is. As far as I'm aware none of the 360 converters currently work for the FC3 Pro either. Though you can always have it dual modded, which is something I'm highly considering. Even if I get a hitbox in the future, I'll still use this thing as a backup because I can't go back to the dualshock 3 or the awful 360 pads. Every other 2nd party pad I've seen just looks like junk compared to this thing.

I believe that Gummo can dual mod this particular pad, he's dual modded an older variant of a Fighting Commander Pro, but I'm not sure if the 3 with the ergo design would be problematic; though I doubt it'd be an issue for him.

http://twitter.com/#!/@gummowned

GNG Iniquity

[MENTION=4991]gatesrex91[/MENTION]

Have you been having any issues with your R2 (default block) button? Mine's been squeaking quite a bit and the other day it managed to jam itself in the middle of a match. That was the catalyst for me to start thinking about using the face buttons solely, but I'm wondering how uncomfortable doing EXes is going to be...suppose I can use R1 as a substitute as well but those shoulder buttons are not constructed very well in comparison to the rest of the controller.

Still, a pretty minor fault for a $35 controller.

Matix218

Get over here!
[MENTION=4991]gatesrex91[/MENTION]

Have you been having any issues with your R2 (default block) button? Mine's been squeaking quite a bit and the other day it managed to jam itself in the middle of a match. That was the catalyst for me to start thinking about using the face buttons solely, but I'm wondering how uncomfortable doing EXes is going to be...suppose I can use R1 as a substitute as well but those shoulder buttons are not constructed very well in comparison to the rest of the controller.

Still, a pretty minor fault for a $35 controller.
Hey Iniquity, (BTW I think you sent me a game invite that I missed about a week or so ago, my bad, my game was just on and idle in the practice mode lol).

Anyway, I have not had trouble with my R2 getting stuck or jammed but mine does squeak sometimes. I had some gunk buildup on some of the face buttons a while back and I actually got a screwdriver and took the whole thing apart and cleaned out everything which helped a lot. I would not hesitate to try that if the button is squeaking or getting stuck, maybe something got shifted around in there that you could fix if you took it apart. It is not too bad to take apart and re-assemble the Hori pad. The squeaking I wouldn't worry too much about but if it is actually getting stuck or jammed I would at least try taking it apart to see if you can figure out what is causing it from the inside since it could be fixable.

I actually bought a spare Hori pad that I still have sitting in the box in my room just in case my original one ever craps out on me (since I like the pad so much) but other than some noise from the shoulder buttons here and there, I have not had any issues with it.

GNG Iniquity

Hey Iniquity, (BTW I think you sent me a game invite that I missed about a week or so ago, my bad, my game was just on and idle in the practice mode lol).

Anyway, I have not had trouble with my R2 getting stuck or jammed but mine does squeak sometimes. I had some gunk buildup on some of the face buttons a while back and I actually got a screwdriver and took the whole thing apart and cleaned out everything which helped a lot. I would not hesitate to try that if the button is squeaking or getting stuck, maybe something got shifted around in there that you could fix if you took it apart. It is not too bad to take apart and re-assemble the Hori pad. The squeaking I wouldn't worry too much about but if it is actually getting stuck or jammed I would at least try taking it apart to see if you can figure out what is causing it from the inside since it could be fixable.

I actually bought a spare Hori pad that I still have sitting in the box in my room just in case my original one ever craps out on me (since I like the pad so much) but other than some noise from the shoulder buttons here and there, I have not had any issues with it.
No worries! Yeah, I think I'll give that a try, that could very well be the culprit and it does look pretty easy to dis-assemble! I am contemplating getting a replacement in the near future though, mine's been dropped a few times due to having a toddler in the house, something's lose in there when I rattle it around lol. I don't think that's related to the R2 though, but I could be wrong.