What's new

Hori FC4 or PDP Fightpad?

MadPropz101

"I still got it...but not much of it"
Hello everyone, i am new to this forum but i realize it is the go to place for anything involving fighting games, and i was wondering if you could help me out. I'm currently using a Ps4 controller, which is great imo, but for MK X i want something that might give me a slight edge. I'm definitely not a stick guy, so that's out of the question, but i am very interested in purchasing a fight pad for the first time.
I've done some research on both the Hori Fight Commander 4 and the PDP MK X fightpad, and i can't really decide which one is better. From the videos i saw, it seems to me like the FC4 has better build quality and a more responsive DPad, however i don't really care much about the extra trigger buttons. I also am not sure if the PS4 version of the PDP pad will work on PC, and i know Hori's does.
What fightpad do you think is a better purchase in terms of responsiveness and durability?

Fractured_Shadow

Really likes to throw things at you.
Cannot go wrong with the Hori. This is what I use, and I have not had a single problem and I love it. However, I have been told durability is an issue, particularly pertaining to the DPad rotation lock feature. For MK it should be ok because it is not primarily a full rotation game (like GG XRD) so it should be kinder to your pad. However ask our resident expert @C-Sword, he will be able to give you a much better breakdown than I can about all things controller related.

Last edited:

Linkuei82

Live by the sword, Die by the sword
Honestly I think both sounds solid from the reviews I read online from the Hori, and the reviews from Phil and Carl. I don't think we will truly know the durability of the PDP unitl months down the line however.

MadPropz101

Cannot go wrong with the Hori. This is what I use, and I have not had a single problem and I love it. However, I have been told durability is an issue, particularly pertaining to the DPad rotation lock feature. For MK it should be ok because it is not primarily a full rotation game (like GG XRD) so it should be kinder to your pad. However ask our resident expert @C-Sword, he will be able to give you a much better breakdown than I can about all things controller related.
The most important thing to me is that the d-pad is very responsive, i prefer a more rigid d-pad to a floaty one. I also won't be rotating the dpad as i prefer it on default. And also please tell me how do the buttons feel, does it have mechanical switches like the PDP or does it feel more like a PS4 controller?

Fractured_Shadow

Really likes to throw things at you.
The most important thing to me is that the d-pad is very responsive, i prefer a more rigid d-pad to a floaty one. I also won't be rotating the dpad as i prefer it on default. And also please tell me how do the buttons feel, does it have mechanical switches like the PDP or does it feel more like a PS4 controller?
The DPad is second only to the Sega Saturn IMO. Very responsive but not stiff. The buttons are not micro-switches like the PDP, that is like PDP's signature. The Hori buttons are larger than the PS4 (By a lot) and closer together to allow for easier "piano-ing." The ergonomics of the controller are great and the fact that you can switch all your buttons to one side are a HUGE plus.

Bildslash

Goro Lives 
I got a HFC4 about 1 month ago and so far it has proved its worth.

I've been using it to play GGXrd with great results so far. The pad is very responsive with several customization features for better usability; for instance, I use the dpad on the default position and the shoulder buttons like in a traditional Sony pad. Another neat feature is both the PS3 and the PS4 recognize the controller as soon as you plug it in; you don't have to turn it on or off.

I highly recommend the HFC4.

MadPropz101

I got a HFC4 about 1 month ago and so far it has proved its worth.

I've been using it to play GGXrd with great results so far. The pad is very responsive with several customization features for better usability; for instance, I use the dpad on the default position and the shoulder buttons like in a traditional Sony pad. Another neat feature is both the PS3 and the PS4 recognize the controller as soon as you plug it in; you don't have to turn it on or off.

I highly recommend the HFC4.
Awesome, thanks.

MadPropz101

Btw, i guess many of us would appreciate it if this thread stays up so that future owners of these pads can give us their opinion.
I live in Serbia and the fighting community isn't big here unfortunately, they don't even sell fightpads here so i can't try any out. I and a few of my friends intend to be very competitive, and i am glad that i found out about this forum and am looking forward to playing with you all.

C-Sword

Noob
FIGHTING COMMANDER 4

This is basically the Fighting Commander 3 Pro with added PS4 support. It retains the exact same design and features as before. The only difference being the Start and Select buttons getting replaced by Options and Share. Like most 3rd party controllers, it has no mic port and trackpad.

Despite being quite bulky, the controller is very lightweight, not because it was made with cheap parts, but because it has no internal battery and vibration. The left side of the controller is slightly longer than the right and it gives you a solid grip. As far as fight pads are concerned, this is by far the most comfortable one to hold.

It comes with a traditional cross shaped d-pad. It's very smooth, you shouldn't get any blister after long periods of gaming. However, it does feel a bit slippery when your thumb is sweating. The d-pad is ideal for fighting games that have special moves requiring simple inputs, it handles quarter circle motions and charge attacks very well. I found the d-pad not as effective for fighting games like Guilty Gear XRD and The King If Fighters XIII, games that have more half circle motions.

They made the d-pad adjustable, that might seems like a good thing at first, but it does lead to problems afterwards. Diagonals sensitivity is useless to me, there are 3 settings (Stiff, Normal and Loose). First off, the d-pad is unusable when sets on ''Stiff''. Set it on ''Normal'' if you need more precision or ''Loose'' if your prefer a floaty d-pad, mine is always on loose.

There's a switch allowing the d-pad to emulate the left analog stick if you need to do that for some reasons.

You can also rotate the d-pad to either direction, up to 20°. There's a lock below the d-pad that keeps it in place after adjustments have been made, you do that by turning the lock all the way to the right. I've never used that feature, I like to have my d-pad properly centered. After a while, I started noticing that the d-pad was rotating a little bit to the right on its own and that used to bug me.

The rubber membrane under the d-pad breaks off after heavy use. I wouldn't suggest you this controller if you're not willing to buy another one after a few months. I went through 4 Fighting Commander Pro in 2 years.

http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/186826/suitable-conductive-contact-rubber-pad-replacement-on-the-hori-fighting-commander-pro-3-dpad

Mortal Kombat (2011) got me back into fighting games, I had not been so passionate about one since The King Of Fighters XI and Capcom VS SNK 2. In fact, it was the main reason why I finally bought a PS3. I didn't like playing with the DualShock 3, I thought the d-pad was too stiff and I just didn't like the trigger shaped shoulder buttons. Rain was my most played character at that time and I was having trouble doing his b2, 1+2 string constantly, because my thumb wasn't big enough to press 2 buttons simultaneously. I needed a controller that would fix those problems and the FC3 Pro did.

There are 6 large buttons on the face with just the right amount of space between them, I rarely found myself pressing the wrong ones. You can play using only your thumb or 3 fingers claw-style. I must point out that I don't always use the default controls in every game. For example, I like having the last 2 buttons on each row on the front as my main attacks buttons in MK9 and GG XRD, I do that with every 6 button controller though.

The shoulder buttons are square-ish, I'd compare them to those on a DualShock 2, maybe not as thick. There's a switch at the top allowing you to reverse the shoulder buttons, meaning that you can now have your L1 and L2 on the right instead, making it possible for your right hand to reach all the buttons.

The buttons may not be first party quality, but they held up pretty well. You have to be really rough with them to get them to stick. Turbo mode can be enabled for all the buttons.

The FC4 is a good alternative to the DualShock 4 if you're looking for a controller better suited for fighters. It does have its own set of problems. I felt like Hori went a bit too far with all the customizable features. At the end of the day, I just want something responsive, ergonomic and durable.

I will review the MKX PDP Pad when I get it. In the meantime, check out my other fightpads here
http://testyourmight.com/threads/my-fightpad-collection.45892/

MadPropz101

Wow, thank you for such a detailed review C-Sword! It definitely sounds like a hassle to change gamepads so often...i will be waiting on your review for the PDP Pad, as i am very interested in how that will turn out.

Bildslash

Goro Lives 
@C-Sword @MadPropz101

I might be wrong, but going through 2 pads a year is more of a player issue than a pad issue. If your handing of the pad is too aggresive and the motions too strong the pad will certainly wear out sooner. Personally, I only have had to change a pad after a couple years of use.

C-Sword

Noob
@C-Sword @MadPropz101

I might be wrong, but going through 2 pads a year is more of a player issue than a pad issue. If your handing of the pad is too aggresive and the motions too strong the pad will certainly wear out sooner. Personally, I only have had to change a pad after a couple years of use.
I have a collection of pads, take the saturn pad for example, it still works great even though I used it for all my fighting games, one of my HFC3 broke when I was practicing Ermac's jk/tp, jk/tp. It's a fightpad, as long as I don't throw it on the floor, it should last a while. Plus, I was not the only one having those issues with that controller.

Last edited:

Dahak

Noob
Thank you for the review c-sword was really hyped for this pad but definitely avoiding it now.After going through so many pads last gen by pdp and madcatz i think ill save up for a fight stick.

Alpha Centauri

The Machine
I was a dual shock 3 user for all of my mk9 time and like many others I was looked into different avenues for ps4 as the controller didnt sit right with me for fighting games. So i purchased the Hori Fc4. Like many i feel its good quality however maybe it's just me or that I havnt used it enough but I find it a bit awkward. I have been using it mostly for inj. until mk x comes out.
One issue I do foresee is the top buttons l1,l2,r1,r2 kind of wiggle and specifically for blocking (w/ r2) i could possibly see some issues if the button is not pressed properly as you can push down on it without the button "activating" unlike on the dualshock 4 where the r2 only goes down.

Take this with review with a grain of salt as i Have not used it very much but this is my first impression.

What pad then would you recommend c-sword that fits the bill of durable, ergonomic, responsive?

I'm going to be playing MKX on pc with an XB1 controller but the presumably best pads (like the Saturn, SNES, etc), seem hard to find online or sold out.

(I reside in Canada just to give context to online options).

C-Sword

Noob
What pad then would you recommend c-sword that fits the bill of durable, ergonomic, responsive?

I'm going to be playing MKX on pc with an XB1 controller but the presumably best pads (like the Saturn, SNES, etc), seem hard to find online or sold out.

(I reside in Canada just to give context to online options).
I reside in Canada too. If you want something durable, I'd suggest the DualShock 2 and the Inpin/Xtokki converter. I can't speak on the MKX PDP Fightpad, cause I haven't gotten mine yet, stupid delays.

NoobHunter420

Scrub God Lord
I will be making this decision tonight.
has any1 actually played with any of them?
I will mostly use it for guilty gear and mkx

I'm not sure what I was thinking but I ordered a DS2 (and converter), and Hori FC4 off of ebay.

I thought about returning the older pad, and keeping the Hori, but now I am contemplating keeping both.

Last edited: