What's new

Hoping they buff some generic mechanics

Basically the title. Generic mechanics affect the entire cast and can have major effects on how the game plays. The two I have in mind is the counterhit d2 meter burn combo and hitting your opponents kameo.

For the first, I think it'd give interesting routes and options to the cast. Probably just need to make it cost 1 meter instead of 2, or give it a serious damage buff or some other advantage(faster kameo recovery to give more nuance to goro/darrius? Or automatically put your opponents kameo in the hit state to get around breaker?) if its going to have the gall to cost 2.

For the second, I think kameo punishing is lackluster in this game. I like the idea that they can tank hits for you and you take extra damage for it, but unlike every other major tag fighter I've played, you don't have the beam or similar style moves that threaten to rip your assist in half for daring to call them (let alone how they're a second or third lifebar ready to be killed if you fuck up). So if you know your opponent is about to call stryker....you sit there and watch them call stryker, rather than punish it (mostly).

Its extra weird because there's a pretty cool mechanic in getting around breaker by hitting kameo's, and yet I can't think of the last time I saw it matter. It would probably help the game in the long run if there were a few more ways to actually punish kameos (quan and kenshi having some of the only good options I can think of atm).

A simple way to solve this might be giving "splash/cleave/aoe" damage to some moves (although I think almost all of these should cost meter). Moves that, on hit, or maybe even on block, do a little more damage behind the person you're hitting, as a way to start hitting and punishing those predictable kameo calls, and to put them on cd so you can open them up.

You could apply this all over the place, especially since a lot of MB options are lacking as hell in neutral right now. Not sure if it's worth doing, but it could also breathe life into moves like MB Spear/Freeze which are pretty lackluster due to all sorts of reasons, but especially because a kameo tanking the hit negates the entire point of the attack. Allowing MB spear to "pierce" a kameo or subs MB freeze to "splash" past (only a very small amount) might breathe some life into these iconic moves.