What's new

HMK #24 With xZoro and UndeadJim

JTB123

>>R2 - BF4 = Unblockable.
We're ending 2015 with a brand new guest; xZoro from the UK joins us to discuss Kotal Kahn along with a healthy balance of juicy topics and good old MKX chatter.

Unfortunately Phosferrax couldn't join us this week, he was probably off being Judge Dredd somewhere.

Usual stuff is below, hope everyone enjoys :D

MP3 Version

Topics:

Start - xZoro player introduction along with Kotal Kahn discussion and thoughts.
20:00 - ESL Week 7 Review.
34:00 - NEC Review and thoughts.
1:07:00 - If a Top 10 EU vs Top 10 USA happened at Evo 2016, who makes the cut?
1:46:00 - Is ESL / online play colouring people's opinions of characters / tools because of how they appear in an online environment?
1:49:00 - ESL season 3; will it happen? What would it mean for MKX and the NRS scene.
2:00:00 - The case of pressing buttons while in negative frames, is it disrespectful or a legit tactic in this game.
2:10:00 - Can we agree on a top ten at this point in the game?

And for the people who want to skip their veggies and go straight for the juice, I've spoilered the decisions for the EU vs US 10 vs 10 and our agreed top ten so far in the game.

Here is the link for the tournament Gabe mentions at the end.

Eu vs USA 10 vs. 10 Players. The list does not correspond to match ups, this is simply the order in which we decided on. Canada is included as part of NA.

1. Foxy / Sonicfox
2. Madzin / Wound
3. Xarakamaka / DJT
4. mustard / MIT
5. kethcup / King
6. Jim / Honeybee
7. Storm / Slayer
8. axiy / REO
9. Crathen / cR Dragon
10. Phosferrax / Michaelangelo

Top ten as of this recording which we all could agree on: This is not in order! And obviously open for discussion. Let us know what you think.

1. Tremor
2. Jax
3. Sub Zero
4. Quan Chi
5. Shinnok
6. Cassie Cage
7. Kung Lao
8. Johnny Cage
9. Tanya
10. Liu Kang[spoiler/]

Last edited:

TheGabStandard

The anticipation is killing me
No usedforglue or nivek or gabstandard or aquary or taco for top 10 EU? I'm surprised not one of them made it :/ :eek: *gasps* picking that list is as difficult as picking top ten characters in mkx though tbh lol
It is a really long discussion lol, was very hard

rubmytaco

CarriedByClone
Good stuff as always. Too bad (although understandable) that the EU team is populated by mostly UK players and only a couple of others. There's other players who deserve a spot more, skill wise. I'd like to see players like Boba Grimes and Jupe get some love.

xZoro

War God.
Good stuff as always. Too bad (although understandable) that the EU team is populated by mostly UK players and only a couple of others. There's other players who deserve a spot more, skill wise. I'd like to see players like Boba Grimes and Jupe get some love.
I agree. Looking back it was very UK dominated, I guess lack of real significant EU majors clouds us over a bit you know.

IrishMantis

Most humble shit talker ever!!!
Wow thanks for Team EU shoutout I'm chuffed

But if you want count it Phas has beating more in the online environment

Wasn't expecting my name to come up at all.

Now I'm no longer the Underdog :(

I haven't played Aixy but I would put Taco there, but again I never played Aixy and I prolly get destroyed by Aixy if the day ever comes
Same reason a lot people wouldn't pick me because they never played me

Thank you guys even just for the mention it made my day for just being considered

If @1man3letters coukd travel out you would say he's also a sleeping giant once he's in the right mood

Really good show overall as usu good stuff lads

rubmytaco

CarriedByClone
I agree. Looking back it was very UK dominated, I guess lack of real significant EU majors clouds us over a bit you know.
I understand the bias, as you UK guys are obviously closer to each other than the rest of EU. I would have a hard time putting that list together too.

xZoro

War God.

I haven't played Aixy but I would put Taco there, but again I never played Aixy and I prolly get destroyed by Aixy if the day ever comes

Thank you guys even just for the mention it made my day for just being considered

If @1man3letters coukd travel out you would say he's also a sleeping giant once he's in the right mood

Honestly dude, you deserve it.

xZoro

War God.
I understand the bias, as you UK guys are obviously closer to each other than the rest of EU. I would have a hard time putting that list together too.
It for sure wasn't easy.
As one name was mentioned another cropped up and fucked us over.
But yeah, You were for sure our 11th man.
If madzin didnt play sub, and foxy wasnt the best lao in the world, you wouldve got my vote on pure result and reliability.
Youre one of the most successful players in europe.

IrishMantis

Controversial opinion
Taco might have the better Sub since Madzin put his time into Kotal I don't know I would have to see :D

Going by previous Tourney scores Taco came 2nd I came 3rd

Good discussion guys I would not have the balls to pick a team EU and I love All the brutal honesty on the podcast no one held back

IrishMantis

I don't disagree, but having one reprasentative for sub was enough for us.
Not necessarily that One os better than the other.
Yeah man I suppose

fair balls I couldn't name people :p

Hell I couldn't pick a tip 15 if I tried

rubmytaco

CarriedByClone
It for sure wasn't easy.
As one name was mentioned another cropped up and fucked us over.
But yeah, You were for sure our 11th man.
If madzin didnt play sub, and foxy wasnt the best lao in the world, you wouldve got my vote on pure result and reliability.
Youre one of the most successful players in europe.
Thanks man, but honestly this wasn't even about me :) I know there's a lot of really good players out there who might not be as well known, but are amazing. Boba Grimes, Jupe, and Irishmantis (firebreather) are just a few who come to mind.

JTB123

>>R2 - BF4 = Unblockable.
I agree and it's a shame we don't see more of the EU guys besides the obvious UK heavy hitters. It was a very tough list to do. Maybe we should do a 20 vs 20 instead :eek:

PunkMafia83

PSN: YaRnToNpUnKMAFIA

Shut up you are good.

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
I don't think Eu could survive a 10 vs 10 against USA, not that we don't have players on their level, it's just that lets say America has 10 good players, we'd have like 6-7 to match them, purely down to the fact that they have numbers.

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
Why is it when people mention my VSFighting popoff they always bring up that it was against a Goro player lol, if I go for X-ray against anyone, whether it be Kung Lao or Jason, and it kills, you're damn fuckin' straight I'm poppin off.

I'm not sure if Predator's armor problems are enough to outright shunt him out of the top 10. Lest we forget when he is able to use it and it hits, it absolutely huuuuuuurrrrts. Certainly still a lot better off than Quan outside of Warlock in that regard. If there's one thing that's taken it's toll on his fear factor, I'm more inclined to point to his standing 3 no longer being a true mid, at least in respect to an offense/defense ratio.

IrishMantis

I don't think Eu could survive a 10 vs 10 against USA, not that we don't have players on their level, it's just that lets say America has 10 good players, we'd have like 6-7 to match them, purely down to the fact that they have numbers.
Not with that attitude we won't :p

But yeah US is much bigger in numbers, maybe a 5v5 would make more sense

st9rm

viennality.com
good listen as always, also ty for the nomination :)

like taco mentioned, we do have a lot of heavy hitters who have gone unnoticed, @Jupe def being one of them
we just need a tournament to proof that i guess (viennality anyone ;) )

anyways, i think the EU vs US battle could take place, since a lot of ppl from europe are planning to go to evo anyway, right?

Phosferrax

Original Liu Kang cop.
Foxy and Madzin have proven themselves to be on a competing level with YOMI.

The rest of us haven't really. I know I'm definitely not on the same level as the top guys. I'm confident I wouldn't get run over by them, but I wouldn't beat them.