AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
I made this thread because I love grapplers. My personal favorites are:

1) Soloman Grundy
2)Chief Thunder
3)E-Honda
4)El Fuerte
5)Hakan

EDIT: I was wrong. The "Back breaker move was first introduced in MK deadly alliance with Hsu Hao. Although much like Cyrax in MK9 I don't know if I would call him a grappler.

The first "True" Grappler NRS ever made in my eyes was MEAT.

He a "Back Breaker" at a decent 24% damage
A blockable low throw that led to a juggle
He also had clevars (Shades of Grundy)

Next up was Sheeva who was the only REAL grappler in MK9.

She had a low unblockable that led to huge damage
Blockable but advantage on block mid throw
And a regular throw that did more damage than all other throws in the game

This should have never happened but NRS thought it was smart to give Cyrax in MK9 a command throw.

Not only did he have a command throw that hit both standing and crouching opponents and led to a safe jump, but he had an air throw and a regular throw...and 100% combos. lol

this first round...WOW command throw at the end of first round if you want to see it.

Then Injustice game out and their character variety was the best I have seen from them.

Soloman Grundy

I think this was the BEST grappler ever created that made sense. He has all the tools but in this game the keep away can be strong and makes his life tough. Great design and characters overall. "Slow Clap"

Unblockable Trait grab with different trait options for buffs
-health
-chip
-damage

blockable juggle grab
very fast air grab
Walking Corpse grab with three hits of armor and is cancelable. Makes getting in much easier.
regular throw
Grave rot is a nice addition because it automatically buffs his throw damage output.

Most famous Grundy match of all time

Bane needs no introduction. He has been breaking backs for a while and is a broken beast. His trait lets him armor through anything with a special move. He has a throw like Meat that does varied damage dependent on meter and venom. He has better directional throw ability for maintaining position on a stage and never lets you get up.

Shazam is the most mobile grappler in Injustice (debatable with how stupid bane is) with a few really good moves.

Low unblockable
high unblockable
regular throw

Lobo is still up and coming but has some of the best damage and mobility.

Mid hitting command throw
regular throw
and many of his strings set you up for very hard to react to tic throw setups.
His trait loads nuclear shells and can add massive damage to both his throws and his combos.

Killer Frost believe it or not has a very good command throw that allows her to play in this realm. Its her go to tool for setting up her vortex and leads to a full combo with meter.

Cyborg? Yes Cyborg has a command throw but nobody uses it. No point. Terrible move but it is an unblockable high attack that can be meter burned for extra damage.

This is only video I could find of it...LOL

I made this thread to show the community how NRS has evolved their grappler style and they did really well with Injustice. I hope the next MK does a good job of defining styles with characters and perhaps even a better job. What Characters in MK10 do you want to see as a Grappler?

THANKS FOR READING!

"runs back to NW forum drama"

Last edited:

ChaosTheory

A fat woman came into the shoe store today...
How does throw immunity work in Injustice? Like Grundy armors through a move but the throw whiffs?

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
How does throw immunity work in Injustice? Like Grundy armors through a move but the throw whiffs?
yes...every character has throw immune moves. I think it has more to do with a character being considered airborne or if 1 or more foot leaves the ground during the animation.

There is no video for it but I will make one.

Its like...you made the right read but your fucked because they can't be grabbed during certain strings.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
yes...every character has throw immune moves. I think it has more to do with a character being considered airborne or if 1 or more foot leaves the ground during the animation.

Its like...you made the right read but your fucked because they can't be grabbed during certain strings.
I like to think of it like Thunder's command grab being throw immune.

For some reason or another... the "throw" hitbox just vanishes and command throws just whiff.

uggh.
just.... uggh.

Rathalos

Play Monster Hunter!
I think throw immunity as a property has it's place in the game, but there is just too much of it in Injustice.

It also shouldn't last for an entire string, just the start up of the first hit.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Hehe, imo having a command grab isn't what makes you a grappler. Like for example, I'd probably describe Bane more as a 'bruiser' type character than a grappler, since most of his damage comes from just bashing through people with roided-up normals and specials. The command grab is just a helpful extra.

Whereas with true grapplers, your goal in every match is to land the grapple, because it's the big win that's going to give you most of your damage.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
Hehe, imo having a command grab isn't what makes you a grappler. Like for example, I'd probably describe Bane more as a 'bruiser' type character than a grappler, since most of his damage comes from just bashing through people with roided-up normals and specials. The command grab is just a helpful extra.

Whereas with true grapplers, your goal in every match is to land the grapple, because it's the big win that's going to give you most of your damage.
...... he's a grappler
If he didn't have the command throw..... he wouldn't be nearly as stupid.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game

I agree. With NRS games though you don't usually see this so I just made a comparison to those who had a throw

ChaosTheory

A fat woman came into the shoe store today...

But does it only apply to his armored trait grab? I only played like a week and I used Grundy. I'm trying to picture how else immunity would apply.

Like if he didn't armor through a move; wouldn't the move just hit him out of his throw attempt? ExplainSoFly.

I think throw immunity as a property has it's place in the game, but there is just too much of it in Injustice.

It also shouldn't last for an entire string, just the start up of the first hit.
I don't. If your poke is faster than the throw you win if it's not you lose. nothing should be throw immune on whiff.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
But does it only apply to his armored trait grab? I only played like a week and I used Grundy. I'm trying to picture how else immunity would apply.

Like if he didn't armor through a move; wouldn't the move just hit him out of his throw attempt? ExplainSoFly.
no it applies to all grabs in the game. Its more annoying though when you use his armored walking corpse. The only move to ever exist like it in the fg world and if whiffs on random strings because their foot is off the ground when it should connect.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
no it applies to all grabs in the game. Its more annoying though when you use his armored walking corpse. The only move to ever exist like it in the fg world and if whiffs on random strings because their foot is off the ground when it should connect.
I think you and I would both love if there was a tiny box that was on the middle of everyone's body. If a throw "hit" that box.... no matter airborne or ducking..... then the throw would connect.

At least give us that....... yeesh.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
This seems to come up a lot eh.. Characters with tools that seem really useful, until everyone fleshes out the hitbox issues. I can see it being used to some degree as a balance tool, but it seems like there are multiple characters in MK9 and IGAU who are relegated down a tier simply because they can't rely on their moves to actually connect.

Seems like it makes more sense to have a character like MMH have hitbox issues than one like Shazam, Nightwing, Ermac, Jax or whoever.