What's new

History of Mortal Kombat Ep. 8 "A Deadly Alliance"

K7L33THA

Grapple > Footsies
ded continues his awesome history of MK series. This one dealing with the 5th game and its development and the transition from arcades to home consoles and new 3d mechanics after a 5 year hiatus of Mortal Kombat.

Just finished watching this, it was great. Deserves a front page.

STORMS

TaffyMeat

Infinite Meter Kombos
Wasn't there a thread about Sareena where it was mentioned that she was in MKDA Tournament edition before MKA? This proves it.

Reactions: ded

EdFig81

Original OBS mbr/VSM/G4S
The WWE game that Studio Gigante made that was their 2nd game was terrible. I bought it for xbox because i was a wrestling fan at loved the games during those yrs. Once your character was put on the mat I remember not being able to do proper reversals until i was pinned.
It was the worst Wrestling game I played since WCW Nitro or WWF Warzone.

Under_The_Mayo

Master of Quanculations
I remember taking DA back the day I bought it. Hated the style. But then I loved the shit out of Deception. I think it was the combo breakers.

K7L33THA

Grapple > Footsies
I wonder if John Tobias is bitter as hell? Why did he leave?
I always wondered what the story was with the split. All thats been said was "creative issues". Tobias really was a huge part of MK, from what I understood he hand drew all of the characters up until MK4.

RunwayMafia

Shoot them. Shoot them all.
I always wondered what the story was with the split. All thats been said was "creative issues". Tobias really was a huge part of MK, from what I understood he hand drew all of the characters up until MK4.
Its gotta be scandelous...Ed is like a multimillionaire now...John is prob broke...its sad.

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
Cool watch

I remember all this happening 10 years ago. Crazy

I was one who didn't like mkda but still played it

Loved MKD though. I played it an ridiculous amount

Rathalos

Play Monster Hunter!
I didn't even know this game was being made until about a week after it came out.

I was a huge MK fan when I was kid, MK2 was one of my first video game experiences, and I just loved the hell out of it. The games, the music, the movie, it was just the coolest thing ever to me at the time.

I liked 3, but it just wasn't the same, UMK3 was better, but still didn't have the spark.
Mk4 I liked a lot more then 3, it had a lot of problems, but the base game felt solid, and overall just the most fluid and natural MK has ever been, and I liked the characters.

So my friend told me he got the game, so I went over to his house all super excited ready to see what the game was going to be like, expecting a follow up to MK4 that hopefully fixed the problems I had with it, some new characters, better graphics, deeper gameplay.

Then I played it.... and it was just felt like someone kicked me in the stomach.
I hated everything about it, the way the characters moved and animated, everything about how it felt, even the artstyle was disgusting. One of the worst fighting games I have ever played.

I didn't touch the series again until MK9(which well a million times better still has the 3D stench all over it).

I did eventually go back last year and played Armageddon on the Wii, I couldn't stomach more then a couple days with it and returned it to gamestop.

Ok, negativity done, that was a neat video.