What's new

Hidan vs Mustard

UsedForGlue

"Strength isn't everything"
You know...I'm seeing a lot of people simply saying that all one has to do against Quan is fuzzy guard and that's all. If you watch any of the matches Hidan was in, most of his opponents fuzzy guarded a few of his strings. Despite this, you have to let go of the block button sometime, and when you do, opportunities open. Very rarely, from what I've seen of these tournaments, do people sit back, hold block, fuzzy guard, and only react. They pursue their opponent and when they do, the opponent responds.

Maybe they didn't know the match-up. However, most players at that level can still read habits and patterns in what their opponents like to do, and those that adapt usually win. Simply because someone had never faced a Quan before doesn't mean that it was the sole reason they lost.

Also...while Quan's wake-ups are limited, his normals are slow...he has unique properties to him, specifically when it comes to Trance and the combo/meter building/draining opportunities it provides. If you block low often enough, as some people believe, you can always be hit next with an overhead, which would lead to another combo.

I suppose, in all of this, I am simply saying that one technique does not entire negate a character's usefulness. I'm of that mind that while some characters have better built-in strategies and properties to them that others do not...I believe that every character in this game is capable of beating every other character. It won't always be even or fair, but it can be done. I faintly recall seeing some videos where REO's Quan Chi did quite a number on Chris G's Reptile. Reptile, who is considered among one of the more high tier characters.
Quan chi used to have a safe jump after hitting a Sky Drop, but it was taken away as it was ''too strong'', yet Scorpion still has this exact same set up from his teleport punch.

Quan used to be able to get a free Skeletal Boost, if you won a trade with his Trance on lets say, Sektors missile. It was taken away also.

Quan was better than he used to be for these two reasons.

Metzos

You will BOW to me!
Quan chi used to have a safe jump after hitting a Sky Drop, but it was taken away as it was ''too strong'', yet Scorpion still has this exact same set up from his teleport punch.

Quan used to be able to get a free Skeletal Boost, if you won a trade with his Trance on lets say, Sektors missile. It was taken away also.

Quan was better than he used to be for these two reasons.
True.And the skeletal boost was almost everytime a dmg boost after the trance trade.

UsedForGlue

True.And the skeletal boost was almost everytime a dmg boost after the trance trade.
I thought i had a guaranteed boost set up in SVB, but Hidan was a buzz kill and proved it wrong in about 6 seconds :(

After a :l:bp:fp, :l:bp:fp - :d:bp, a good opponent will always tech roll and start assessing the fight again, and you can sneak a boost. I have got away with it a good few times.

Works best against characters that don't have teleport wake ups, and only knock back wake ups.

Cage will normally hit you with a wake up :en Shadow Kick, waste of his meter.
Sub Zero will clone, so if its a health boost, then score.
Cyrax players will never wake up teleport.
Baraka players will only full screen :en Blade charge.
Ermac players will not roll back into force push.

Basically, what I am saying is, chose the perfect moment to do the boost against certain characters after this combo and uppercut, and you might get away with it.

In a high level fight, that 10% health is allot.

I constantly search for moments in which the Skeletal Boost can be sneaked in.

Metzos

You will BOW to me!
I thought i had a guaranteed boost set up in SVB, but Hidan was a buzz kill and proved it wrong in about 6 seconds :(

After a :l:bp:fp, :l:bp:fp - :d:bp, a good opponent will always tech roll and start assessing the fight again, and you can sneak a boost. I have got away with it a good few times.

Works best against characters that don't have teleport wake ups, and only knock back wake ups.

Basically, what I am saying is, chose the perfect moment to do the boost against certain characters after this combo and uppercut, and you might get away with it.

Hmmm true.Didnt think about that.Good idea Glue.

Robotic

Gentleman.

Keep searching, keep posting :D Always appreciated.

Metzos

You will BOW to me!

Actually i thought about it vs Ermac.Well he can just TKP QC and even on block he ll lose the health boost or he can projectile him.

You know...I'm seeing a lot of people simply saying that all one has to do against Quan is fuzzy guard and that's all. If you watch any of the matches Hidan was in, most of his opponents fuzzy guarded a few of his strings. Despite this, you have to let go of the block button sometime, and when you do, opportunities open. Very rarely, from what I've seen of these tournaments, do people sit back, hold block, fuzzy guard, and only react. They pursue their opponent and when they do, the opponent responds.

Maybe they didn't know the match-up. However, most players at that level can still read habits and patterns in what their opponents like to do, and those that adapt usually win. Simply because someone had never faced a Quan before doesn't mean that it was the sole reason they lost.

Also...while Quan's wake-ups are limited, his normals are slow...he has unique properties to him, specifically when it comes to Trance and the combo/meter building/draining opportunities it provides. If you block low often enough, as some people believe, you can always be hit next with an overhead, which would lead to another combo.

I suppose, in all of this, I am simply saying that one technique does not entire negate a character's usefulness. I'm of that mind that while some characters have better built-in strategies and properties to them that others do not...I believe that every character in this game is capable of beating every other character. It won't always be even or fair, but it can be done. I faintly recall seeing some videos where REO's Quan Chi did quite a number on Chris G's Reptile. Reptile, who is considered among one of the more high tier characters.
fuzzy guarding can not shut down the whole character, but his rushdown, which is the core of his gameplay. also trance can be easily avoided and telestomp can always be punished hard, no matter if blocked or whiffed. i have a buddy who plays quan chi on the same level and i know the matchup like my pocket. recently he had to start mixing up with throws because he couldnt get through with his mixups anymore and always had a high risk of getting punished, no matter how much he used variations. but from what i see throwing is a huge problem for quan chis whole oki/pressure game.

Hmmm true.Didnt think about that.Good idea Glue.
Theres actually a better way to make it work. Whenever I trance an opponent who has enough meter to break my combo, I jump over them, wait a bit and throw out an enhanced skull, I immediately use the boost as they stagger towards the end of the screen. Despite this being practially safe against many characters, there is an issue, to make this work with any boost, specifically the damage version, you have to wait and delay the input for the boost or it will deplete. When doing this you'll always want the health boost because you can do it the very moment they get hit by the skull, but the special's content is random sadly. Sacrificing a bar on this can be pretty steep, unless you add wiffing trance to build meter in your game often.
In here I delay it to get the damage increase.

fuzzy guarding can not shut down the whole character, but his rushdown, which is the core of his gameplay. also trance can be easily avoided and telestomp can always be punished hard, no matter if blocked or whiffed. i have a buddy who plays quan chi on the same level and i know the matchup like my pocket. recently he had to start mixing up with throws because he couldnt get through with his mixups anymore and always had a high risk of getting punished, no matter how much he used variations. but from what i see throwing is a huge problem for quan chis whole oki/pressure game.
I've been doin the same as him lately, people been blocking f1,2 much better lately lol, mixups just aren't good enough anymore, but Hidan knows what he's doing, I'm sure he doesn't abuse the unsafe ones.

UsedForGlue

Actually i thought about it vs Ermac.Well he can just TKP QC and even on block he ll lose the health boost or he can projectile him.
If Quan gets a health boost and runs away out of choke distance, he might get away with it. Nothing seems to absolutely work with his boost, but I keep trying to make something work.

Primal Raptor

Quan-Cheesy
Theres actually a better way to make it work. Whenever I trance an opponent who has enough meter to break my combo, I jump over them, wait a bit and throw out an enhanced skull, I immediately use the boost as they stagger towards the end of the screen. Despite this being practially safe against many characters, there is an issue, to make this work with any boost, specifically the damage version, you have to wait and delay the input for the boost or it will deplete. When doing this you'll always want the health boost because you can do it the very moment they get hit by the skull, but the special's content is random sadly. Sacrificing a bar on this can be pretty steep, unless you add wiffing trance to build meter in your game often.
In here I delay it to get the damage increase.
i like where ur going with this but the meter management should be considered. an ex skull to an ex ground burst trap? consider a mix up in place of the trap.