What's new

Question - Noxious Hey Reptile Boards.

Hey guys, I'm McWaffles and I am very new to the MK community. Before buying XL on Monday, the only experience I had in the game was in MK9 when I played Scorpion and only used one combo that I found on youtube like 2 years after the game came out. Long after that, I kinda quit MK for a bit, and moved onto Smash Bros, and I've been playing that ever since, but I just picked up MKXL for my Xbox One and chose Reptile as my character, and Noxious because of the extra % you could dish out while doing combos. But, that's not why I'm here. I'm just wondering how to play Noxious Reptile in general, like I don't really know anything besides the basic stuff (1234, NJP, FJP, EX, etc.) basically the same basic stuff from Street Fighter. But, I really also need help on what to do defensively because I find myself to be outplayed whenever I play a character with a teleport / block pressure, such as Scorpion or Takeda, etc. Yeah, I'd really love to learn the game competitively because I'm also going to EVO next month and yeah. Thanks everyone.

DDutchguy

Stand 4'ing airplanes out of the sky
A very important thing in MKX is making good use of your hit advantage and thus knowing your down pokes. Reptile has a really good D3, which you should use often to get out of pressure. However, against characters like Hellfire Scorpion and Takeda, you'll have to use probably ever character's best defensive tool which is armor. Reptile has EX-db2 which launches for a full combo and EX-slide which is fast enough to not get armor broken easily. You should definitely keep those moves in mind when it comes to your defense: EX-db2 for exploiting gaps and both for wakeups, depending on the situation.

I'm not a Reptile expert by any means, but I do know his BnBs. I could post a couple here if you'd like.

A very important thing in MKX is making good use of your hit advantage and thus knowing your down pokes. Reptile has a really good D3, which you should use often to get out of pressure. However, against characters like Hellfire Scorpion and Takeda, you'll have to use probably ever character's best defensive tool which is armor. Reptile has EX-db2 which launches for a full combo and EX-slide which is fast enough to not get armor broken easily. You should definitely keep those moves in mind when it comes to your defense: EX-db2 for exploiting gaps and both for wakeups, depending on the situation.

I'm not a Reptile expert by any means, but I do know his BnBs. I could post a couple here if you'd like.
Thank you so much! This will help out a lot, and yeah I would love if you were to post a few BnBs here. I'm also looking to learn Leatherface, but I'm mainly focusing on Noxious Reptile. I don't know what to learn first, since it's all out here.

M.D.

Spammer. Crouch walk hater.
While Reptile is my main and I play Nimble most of the time, I have to admit I like Noxious a lot too.

My personal play style using that variation is to spam all the safe strings in the opponent's block to get meter and damage from the gas.

Things like doing plus or neutral strings to keep them guessing and chipping them, like 21 pause, f41, pause, b2, f21 claw, or f21 normal gas into ex db2 (since a lot of people will try to poke you out of the gas activation).

Since Noxious doesn't require meter you can keep it for ex db2 armor and forceball ex stop near the corner.
One of my favorite setups is doing f412 (on hit) slow ball ex stop near the corner, and then just go ham with strings and staggers. If they jump over you they fall in the ball, and if they punish you they usually advance to get hit by the ball giving you a way out.

Of course you should always mix it up, what I said are in no way top tier tools, but gimmicks that can work some of the time when you most need them. If you insist on them and repeat them everyone will catch on and destroy you.

Also, noxious can do big meterless damage using normal gas cancels from his strings, I suggest you practice that as well.

Punishing big - moves and teleports with let's say, 34 dd3 f412 etc usually leads to 38-40% meterless, which is great since you save the bar.

DDutchguy

Stand 4'ing airplanes out of the sky
Thank you so much! This will help out a lot, and yeah I would love if you were to post a few BnBs here. I'm also looking to learn Leatherface, but I'm mainly focusing on Noxious Reptile. I don't know what to learn first, since it's all out here.
xx means you're canceling a string into a special move.

Your general punisher: F412xxBF2, 21, F412xxSlide.

Noxious-specific punisher (hard): 34xxDD3, F412xxBF2, 21, F412xxSlide.

Overhead combo: B2, F211+3xxMB, F412xxSlide. You can also add an NJP after the F211+3 for slightly more damage.

Low combo: B3xxEX-db2, NJP, 21, F412xxSlide

Overhead corner combo: B2, run forward a bit, 141, D3, F412xxSlide.

Mixup in the neutral: B1D4xxDF3, NJP, 21, F412xxSlide.

With Reptile you'll want to condition the low quite often. Use things like D3 (that's down+X) on ps4 very regularly to start annoying the opponent. This eventually causes them to block low on the chance you will D3 or F4~Slide. You then change it up and do F412 more frequently, that is what gets you the most damage all around in a practical sense. B2 is also an unreactable overhead so this will commonly hit after pressure strings that you can stutter. A great example of what open's up 80% of players is just:

F41.. B2~Convert for damage or setup.

Since you're new ill give you can easy convert:

B2 F211+3* step forward njp then you finish the rest :)

M.D.

Also, don't forget that if you don't want to burn meter when you whack them with B2, you can do

B2 *run* f412 db4f or spit

which nails you a pretty big chunk of damage, I think the biggest possible meterless midscreen from B2.

xx means you're canceling a string into a special move.

Your general punisher: F412xxBF2, 21, F412xxSlide.

Noxious-specific punisher (hard): 34xxDD3, F412xxBF2, 21, F412xxSlide.

Overhead combo: B2, F211+3xxMB, F412xxSlide. You can also add an NJP after the F211+3 for slightly more damage.

Low combo: B3xxEX-db2, NJP, 21, F412xxSlide

Overhead corner combo: B2, run forward a bit, 141, D3, F412xxSlide.

Mixup in the neutral: B1D4xxDF3, NJP, 21, F412xxSlide.
Thanks for these. I'll write these down haha.

While Reptile is my main and I play Nimble most of the time, I have to admit I like Noxious a lot too.

My personal play style using that variation is to spam all the safe strings in the opponent's block to get meter and damage from the gas.

Things like doing plus or neutral strings to keep them guessing and chipping them, like 21 pause, f41, pause, b2, f21 claw, or f21 normal gas into ex db2 (since a lot of people will try to poke you out of the gas activation).

Since Noxious doesn't require meter you can keep it for ex db2 armor and forceball ex stop near the corner.
One of my favorite setups is doing f412 (on hit) slow ball ex stop near the corner, and then just go ham with strings and staggers. If they jump over you they fall in the ball, and if they punish you they usually advance to get hit by the ball giving you a way out.

Of course you should always mix it up, what I said are in no way top tier tools, but gimmicks that can work some of the time when you most need them. If you insist on them and repeat them everyone will catch on and destroy you.

Also, noxious can do big meterless damage using normal gas cancels from his strings, I suggest you practice that as well.

Punishing big - moves and teleports with let's say, 34 dd3 f412 etc usually leads to 38-40% meterless, which is great since you save the bar.
thank you so so much. Is there a chance any of you could play me on XB1 with a mic?

With Reptile you'll want to condition the low quite often. Use things like D3 (that's down+X) on ps4 very regularly to start annoying the opponent. This eventually causes them to block low on the chance you will D3 or F4~Slide. You then change it up and do F412 more frequently, that is what gets you the most damage all around in a practical sense. B2 is also an unreactable overhead so this will commonly hit after pressure strings that you can stutter. A great example of what open's up 80% of players is just:

F41.. B2~Convert for damage or setup.

Since you're new ill give you can easy convert:

B2 F211+3* step forward njp then you finish the rest :)
For all of this, Slide is bf+4 right?

M.D.

Slide is bf4 yes.
Also if you look back in the main Reptile forum there's a thread by OFIDYAN with a combo compilation which you can use.

However I'd advise you stay away from the double slide combos for now as they're not easy and you will probably end up breaking your fingers in the controller.

Slide is bf4 yes.
Also if you look back in the main Reptile forum there's a thread by OFIDYAN with a combo compilation which you can use.

However I'd advise you stay away from the double slide combos for now as they're not easy and you will probably end up breaking your fingers in the controller.
yeah, I'm just looking to learn all the basic stuff right now. I'm still getting used to the terminology lol I'm more used to QCF+LP and stuff like that but I'm used to 1234 now and such.

I'm gonna be at Evo next month too, just message me here and I can give you a rundown there.
Sounds great! Finally I can have somebody to play with there lol. I need to invest in a stick or something, as I don't own a PS4 or a PS4 controller. I hope they sell some there, as I play on XB1

Cossner

King of the Jobbers 2015
Administrator
Sounds great! Finally I can have somebody to play with there lol. I need to invest in a stick or something, as I don't own a PS4 or a PS4 controller. I hope they sell some there, as I play on XB1
Hmm I recommend buying one on amazon asap lol its a big difference

PlatypusVortex

15 time Evo champion
Another thing to remember with rep is to try to get forceballs on screen as much as possible. They can really control the screen as most characters only have a few options to deal with them (jumping them, blocking or armour). It's important to figure when you can get them out and also to pay attention to how your opponent reacts to them. If they jump them than you can use a jump kick to kick them into it for a 30% combo. you can also spend a bar to stop them underneath them while they're jumping which is good against characters with good jump attacks that might beat your jump kick such as kotal. If they block them alot you can try to run in and go for a mixup or if they stand block a well timed slide can knock them into the ball.

Some characters like scorpion you're going to want to use forceballs more sparingly because he can teleport and punish you but if instead of ending combos with f412 slide you end with f412 slow forceball you just block right after with enough time to block a wakeup teleport and punish. So in matchups like that it's less about trying to get them to land on the forceball and more about baiting them to do something unsafe.