What's new

Her Majesty's Kouncil Episode 5 W/ ENDeverMORE & Thegabstandard.

SneakyTortoise

Official Master of Salt
@JTB123 hey man, I think it was you talking about the arcade in Nottingham. If more comes of that could you let me know please? Would be up for travelling from Sheffield for that

JTB123

>>R2 - BF4 = Unblockable.
@JTB123 hey man, I think it was you talking about the arcade in Nottingham. If more comes of that could you let me know please? Would be up for travelling from Sheffield for that
Yeah that was me, unfortunately after looking into it more that place seems to be more of a centre/museum type deal as opposed to an actual arcade. Going by what it looks like they should be not be using "arcade" to describe it, sucks as it would have been awesome to have something based in Nottingham.

SneakyTortoise

Official Master of Salt
Yeah that was me, unfortunately after looking into it more that place seems to be more of a centre/museum type deal as opposed to an actual arcade. Going by what it looks like they should be not be using "arcade" to describe it, sucks as it would have been awesome to have something based in Nottingham.
Ahh that is disappointing! Got quite excited by that prospect

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
Exactly what I said, when she touches you in tournament it means far more than casuals because nothing is on the line. Keeping your cool is very difficult, yes it is on the player but that does not make Batgirl any less dangerous. There simply isn't a character that gets the reward she gets when she hits you in terms of potential and her raw damage is still great.

And if you're happy with her being 4th that's fine, once you get into top 5 discussion I don't think there's much of a difference. We're talking about characters that are head and shoulders above the rest and Batgirl fits that description.
Her touching you in tournament doesn't mean more because nothing in the game changes. She gets the same damage, she does the same combos. It's nothing to do with the character, it's the player. If they're freaking out then that's on them, no matter how difficult (and yes I know it's difficult) it is. Batgirl is without a doubt dangerous but you're making it sound like she's this powerhouse that dominates the rest of the cast when that just isn't true.

Batgirl is not "head and shoulders" above the rest. If that were true then she'd be the best character in the game and her matchups would look a lot better than mostly 6-4s and 5-5s. Zod and Martian have an arguable 9-1. Aquaman has arguable 8-2s. Batgirl has one 7-3. If her tools were that amazing she would be the best character in the game, but they're just high risk high reward and she's not the best in the game. It's not my fault people aren't taking advantage of the little things.

JTB123

Her touching you in tournament doesn't mean more because nothing in the game changes. She gets the same damage, she does the same combos. It's nothing to do with the character, it's the player. If they're freaking out then that's on them, no matter how difficult (and yes I know it's difficult) it is. Batgirl is without a doubt dangerous but you're making it sound like she's this powerhouse that dominates the rest of the cast when that just isn't true.

Batgirl is not "head and shoulders" above the rest. If that were true then she'd be the best character in the game and her matchups would look a lot better than mostly 6-4s and 5-5s. Zod and Martian have an arguable 9-1. Aquaman has arguable 8-2s. Batgirl has one 7-3. If her tools were that amazing she would be the best character in the game, but they're just high risk high reward and she's not the best in the game. It's not my fault people aren't taking advantage of the little things.
Seems as though we'll just have to agree to disagree here then and where have I said she dominates the entire cast? I'm not "making out" anything, I'm simply saying that in tournament she is extremely dangerous due to how momentum bases this game is.

One thing though, what is high risk about Batgirl? I know the overhead option on her cartwheel can be punished but other than that she is pretty safe from what I know.

Youphemism

Seems as though we'll just have to agree to disagree here then and where have I said she dominates the entire cast? I'm not "making out" anything, I'm simply saying that in tournament she is extremely dangerous due to how momentum bases this game is.

One thing though, what is high risk about Batgirl? I know the overhead option on her cartwheel can be punished but other than that she is pretty safe from what I know.
Agreeing to disagree is the most humane option I think lol :)

Woah. There's a lot high risk about Batgirl... On block flying bat is full combo punishable, teleport is full combo punishable, all three options for cartwheel are full combo punishable (99% of the time anyway, I think CW has problems with the low option but she doesn't even need to respect it anyway because of the option select), anything she cancels into redemption that isn't B1 or 21 is full combo punishable and a third of the cast can punish her B2U3 just off the top of my head haha. That's what makes Martian, Aquaman and even Batman arguably losing matchups.

TheGabStandard

The anticipation is killing me

Not sure if all characters can punish these options but as WoWo you can full combo punish:

All cartwheels: regular and low variant are minus. The sidekick is plus on block but if you read the sidekick you can block the first two hits and duck the third to make the kick whiff.

B2U3 string
B2D3 string

Edit: Youph beat me to it. Not taking sides here as find this debate interesting. just answering the question you posed regarding the risks of Batgirl

JTB123

Agreeing to disagree is the most humane option I think lol :)

Woah. There's a lot high risk about Batgirl... On block flying bat is full combo punishable, teleport is full combo punishable, all three options for cartwheel are full combo punishable (99% of the time anyway, I think CW has problems with the low option but she doesn't even need to respect it anyway because of the option select), anything she cancels into redemption that isn't B1 or 21 is full combo punishable and a third of the cast can punish her B2U3 just off the top of my head haha. That's what makes Martian, Aquaman and even Batman arguably losing matchups.
I knew about flying bat and tele but the cartwheel ones are quite interesting, the high kick is obviously the weaker option as it can be ducked but it's still a good mind game regardless the way I see it. Also B2U3 is her overhead into uppercut isn't it? Shouldn't that only be used as a punish or for combos, you could use B2D3 which is only -6 and the better choice off a vortex into jump in.

Youphemism

I knew about flying bat and tele but the cartwheel ones are quite interesting, the high kick is obviously the weaker option as it can be ducked but it's still a good mind game regardless the way I see it. Also B2U3 is her overhead into uppercut isn't it? Shouldn't that only be used as a punish or for combos, you could use B2D3 which is only -6 and the better choice off a vortex into jump in.
Cartwheel being a mindgame is a bill. You can option select it so you don't have to get hit by any of the options. The only "mindgame" that comes with it is throwing it out midscreen at some point since it's 12 frames but if you block it she can't do much except get punished. Either that or if you use the OS she's back at jump/dash distance and has to take risks to get back in again.

B2 is overhead but is 15 frames with little range, I wouldn't really be using that as a punisher lol. B2U3 is her launcher and it's -7 but leads to vortex meterless, the second hit of B2D3 is a low but the string requires meter to launch by cancelling it into Redemption or Flying Bat (or teleport but yeah right). Most of the time you see it being cancelled into cartwheel on block for the mixup (which BGs get away with because noone uses the option select) and there's really no point in doing just B2D3 since she's left at -6 and can't continue any sort of pressure. At that point SHE has to guess. You even see her get away with B2D3~Redemption which has a gap in it!

But this is the point I make: people are STILL, TWO YEARS after the game and the character have been released, not fully informed about the character. This is not only shockingly bad in my opinion but also one of the reasons why she still dominates. People are still doing the obvious things but with the lack of tournament Batgirls for constant practice and updates on how to fight her they don't learn how to take advantage of the little things.

Klesk_1

RIP Grundy
Because she has simply the best tools in the game, used correctly, her 50/50 mixups mid game, corner game, instant air tracking teleport, vortex, crazy j2, put her the top of the list. You can whine and complain all your like about how it's the players fault etc but the reality is, if you're constantly guessing, you will eventually guess wrong in any 50/50 vortex. Over any extended set, you're going to lose. It doesn't need to be anymore complicated than that. she has tools for escaping difficult situations, tools for zoners and tools for rushdown. She's easily the most versatile character in the cast. What makes her a bigger nightmare is her damage, she's got extremely good damage for someone with all those tools.

All i see in your comments in a sh1t load of theory fighting tbh. I think JT's comments about things in tournament are valid, because the reality is, we only ever see her in tournament when it's coming from the states ala SonicF. I think its safe to say SF is the best in class with the character. That means when we see her in tournament its being played by the best person, using the best character,.... which is why he always wins. To say that the other tournament players in the US just haven't learnt her after 2 years is total bollocks. To say that it's their fault they have tournament nerves and don't react 100% right every time is also bollocks, 'its on the player' - really? We're not machines, we're humans. Seems like a hell of a thing to say to me.

Thats my /2p

Youphemism

Because she has simply the best tools in the game, used correctly, her 50/50 mixups mid game, corner game, instant air tracking teleport, vortex, crazy j2, put her the top of the list. You can whine and complain all your like about how it's the players fault etc but the reality is, if you're constantly guessing, you will eventually guess wrong in any 50/50 vortex. Over any extended set, you're going to lose. It doesn't need to be anymore complicated than that. she has tools for escaping difficult situations, tools for zoners and tools for rushdown. She's easily the most versatile character in the cast. What makes her a bigger nightmare is her damage, she's got extremely good damage for someone with all those tools.

All i see in your comments in a sh1t load of theory fighting tbh. I think JT's comments about things in tournament are valid, because the reality is, we only ever see her in tournament when it's coming from the states ala SonicF. I think its safe to say SF is the best in class with the character. That means when we see her in tournament its being played by the best person, using the best character,.... which is why he always wins. To say that the other tournament players in the US just haven't learnt her after 2 years is total bollocks. To say that it's their fault they have tournament nerves and don't react 100% right every time is also bollocks, 'its on the player' - really? We're not machines, we're humans. Seems like a hell of a thing to say to me.

Thats my /2p
If she really had the best tools in the game then she'd be the best character and have the best matchup chart and dominate characters worse than 7-3, but she doesn't. Her 50/50 mixup is unique but isn't the only unreactable 50/50. Most of the cast have a stupidly good corner game. Her teleport isn't "instant", it takes 30 frames to hit. Her j2 isn't "crazy", come on. Bola is what leads to making it ambiguous so bola is the broken move here, and you don't have to respect any vortex followups to it on block. You of all people should know since you kept interrupting me after it! :D Over any extended set you're bound to lose to any character, what's your point? She has tools, but only one or two of those multitude of tools aren't punishable or even plus. If they were all safe and/or all plus then I'd see your point but she has to take huge risks to get in in the first place. Either she gets a full combo into vortex or she gets full combo punished.

A shit load of theory fighting? Even though there have been front paged threads covering these, completely valid by the way, pieces of useful matchup-specific tech that noone in tournament except maybe Honeybee takes advantage of? I'm not saying Sonic isn't the best Batgirl, but even top players like King have admitted that the top players probably don't know the matchup as much as they should. And he's right. Sorry if you don't believe that but if you knew Batgirls holes/weaknesses/frame data like the Batgirl players do then you'd see Kings point.
Batgirl is not the best character in the game, and the fact you think she is when there are characters with 9-1s in the game and tools that prevent other characters from playing footsies with them (ie Martian and Zods traits) means you're missing something.

No, the idea that people haven't learned the matchup completely properly after two years is not so farfetched considering there's only one BG in America that people really get any sort of chance to play against for matchup experience. I've explained some of the things that people aren't doing that would help in the matchup, and if you go and test them yourself you might find that they do work or else I wouldn't mention them.
Sonic doesn't fail and make mistakes under pressure, in fact he comes back from losers regularly, so why should anyone else? It's the mindset of the player. And don't put words in my mouth, I hate when people on TYM do that, I didn't say anything about reacting 100% right all the time.

ENDeverMORE

The incredible introvert
This argument boils down to both of your perceptions of how good any character can be played (could be wrong though). Batgirls pressure does have a lot of coin flips in it, and each option may be punishable by most of the cast. But since you're only going to fight humans and there are no injustice amiibos (thank god) how many people are always 100% on point? And can play at 100% all the time? I can't remember that tournament name with the amazing GF with sonicfox and honeybee, but honeybee was just drained by the very last game it looked. It wasn't his fault that he had nothing left (or... Looked like he had nothing left)
In my eyes, yeah batgirl has no guaranteed ways to get in/keep block pressure, but with so many options she's good at making people work really hard, and how long can humans work hard for?

Youphemism

This argument boils down to both of your perceptions of how good any character can be played (could be wrong though). Batgirls pressure does have a lot of coin flips in it, and each option may be punishable by most of the cast. But since you're only going to fight humans and there are no injustice amiibos (thank god) how many people are always 100% on point? And can play at 100% all the time? I can't remember that tournament name with the amazing GF with sonicfox and honeybee, but honeybee was just drained by the very last game it looked. It wasn't his fault that he had nothing left (or... Looked like he had nothing left)
In my eyes, yeah batgirl has no guaranteed ways to get in/keep block pressure, but with so many options she's good at making people work really hard, and how long can humans work hard for?
I'm not saying anything about being 100% on point all the time...

ENDeverMORE

The incredible introvert
My perception of tier lists and matchup numbers are, yes, based on the highest level of play, with no human error.
There will very very rarely be no human error, so I treat them more as a rough estimate, that's how some top players make some matchups look even or unfair.

Youphemism

I think it's probably way too late for any of this to be of any help or relevance now anyway. Hopefully MKX will be hype and diverse and awesome and good luck to all of you going to the MKX Cup qulaifiers :)

Klesk_1

RIP Grundy
Uhm.... She is the best character in the game, (thats my point.. and JT's from what i can see)..i thought that was what you have been whining about?

Frankly a lot of what you said doesn't really make sense to me. You're arguing with JTB because he said there is a difference between tournament matches and a casual... your argument is that it's not to do with the character, it's the player. So thats where i made the point that nerves come into tournaments and expecting people to get things right 100% of the times it's stupid... thats not putting words in your mouth.... uhm... thats just deduction mate. The point being that in a stressful environment, getting every reaction right is very difficult. Thats the only point there is to make... there is nothing to argue with here? Knowing how to react to BG is one thing but doing it consistently can be pretty tough and tournament settings make it tougher.

My point about extended sets isn't that you might lose eventually its more suggesting that over time a good BG player will win the majority of games against the majority of the cast because she has the tools to so.- that makes her the best character in the game.

If batgirl isn't as good as what i and others have said, then it stands to reason that eventually she would be beaten/figured out due to the 'weaknesses' that you keep talking about. But, that of course hasn't happened... so you're point is sort of null. How many times did jupiter nearly seal the deal and lose to BG? If MMH or zod are better characters why haven't they won as many tournies as BG?

You then move on to say that yes, no one has learnt that matchup right... (except you of course)... because they haven't got the MU expereince? are you for real? Seems like a pretty stupid statement to me... you don't think that any of these players hasn't done their homework on BG weaknesses...reading the very threads your talking about...did it matter? no... are you sort of saying you would do better? i don't get your point. because either way, the facts speak for themselves. Thats why you're not really going to win the argument, it's all theory fighting, in real life, there is a reason why fighting BG with pretty much any character is hard as nails.

But hey what do i know, you seem pretty sure of yourself - maybe it's time for you to go to EVO and show sonic what you've got and prove everyone wrong.

Good luck.

Youphemism

Uhm.... She is the best character in the game, (thats my point.. and JT's from what i can see)..i thought that was what you have been whining about?
Yeah that was his point, but he also thinks Batgirl isn't high risk so no wonder he thinks she's the best in the game. That's what I was explaining to him, that she is high risk. High risk, high reward. But not the best in the game.
Frankly a lot of what you said doesn't really make sense to me. You're arguing with JTB because he said there is a difference between tournament matches and a casual... your argument is that it's not to do with the character, it's the player. So thats where i made the point that nerves come into tournaments and expecting people to get things right 100% of the times it's stupid... thats not putting words in your mouth.... uhm... thats just deduction mate. The point being that in a stressful environment, getting every reaction right is very difficult. Thats the only point there is to make... there is nothing to argue with here? Knowing how to react to BG is one thing but doing it consistently can be pretty tough and tournament settings make it tougher.
No no no, you're misunderstanding. I'm saying that the character itself doesn't change between tournament sets and casuals but the mindset of the players do. Obviously when playing the matchup anywhere winning comes down to a mix of fundamentals and character knowledge. I've never said anyone is going to do everything right 100%, stop bringing that up or assuming that's what I'm saying. If I'm not saying people need to do everything 100% right all the time then there's no need for you to assume that I'm saying that.
My point about extended sets isn't that you might lose eventually its more suggesting that over time a good BG player will win the majority of games against the majority of the cast because she has the tools to so.- that makes her the best character in the game.
You would think that Batgirl would dominate with the tools that she has, but nope. She does well of course because she does have great tools, that's why she's top 5, but her tools aren't dominating enough to make her the best in the game or have the best matchup chart. Hell she can't even beat more than one character 7-3. She has a lot of even matchups and a lot of 6-4s because it's not as easy as read your opponent correctly all the time and make them guess wrong in the vortex the whole match or whatever people think.
If batgirl isn't as good as what i and others have said, then it stands to reason that eventually she would be beaten/figured out due to the 'weaknesses' that you keep talking about. But, that of course hasn't happened... so you're point is sort of null. How many times did jupiter nearly seal the deal and lose to BG? If MMH or zod are better characters why haven't they won as many tournies as BG?
Let me make it clear that I don't think Batgirl is bad, I know she has very powerful tools but these tools also have a risk to them that I feel is being ignored. My point isn't null, if anything it's more valid with each person that ignores all the tech that's right there in front of them and it's insane that people still aren't doing these little things. It's like if people still didn't know Grundy's tick throws, how astonished would you be that people didn't know that? It's something that Grundys do all the time but people still wouldn't do anything about them. That's my point with BG, not that the players are bad or Batgirl is bad. PL made a thread covering backdashing after a blocked jump 2 and REO made a thread about the cartwheel option select, both threads were front paged. Tell me, have you ever seen anyone use this cartwheel option select before? Or does Sonicfox get away with doing cartwheel after cartwheel all the time? Jupiter's also beaten Sonicfox and won tournaments before, and any set they have could go either way because it's a 5-5. MMH and Zod don't win as many tournaments because Jupiter and Pig don't come out to as many tournaments as Fox. How will they win if they don't go? Pig beat Fox at EVO and has admitted plenty of times that the reason he lost in GF was because he lost focus.
You then move on to say that yes, no one has learnt that matchup right... (except you of course)... because they haven't got the MU expereince? are you for real? Seems like a pretty stupid statement to me... you don't think that any of these players hasn't done their homework on BG weaknesses...reading the very threads your talking about...did it matter? no... are you sort of saying you would do better? i don't get your point. because either way, the facts speak for themselves. Thats why you're not really going to win the argument, it's all theory fighting, in real life, there is a reason why fighting BG with pretty much any character is hard as nails.

But hey what do i know, you seem pretty sure of yourself - maybe it's time for you to go to EVO and show sonic what you've got and prove everyone wrong.

Good luck.
No, I didn't say noone had learned the matchup right. Stop putting words in my mouth. I said that people aren't doing everything that they can do. Obviously they're playing right at the basic level but there are certain things that can be done that aren't being done that would help which people are ignoring for no good reason. If you think that me claiming that people aren't doing certain things is bogus then go tell that to Forever King, he made the point not that long ago that people might not be playing the matchup properly as well. You think Forever King is stupid too? Do you think that someone that plays against Fox in tournament doesn't know what he's talking about either? As I said, if you played the character and knew every weakness/punishable move/etc that she has then you'd see my point. But you don't, you think BG has no weaknesses and the most dominant tools and is the best character in the game.
I am by no means saying I would do better, what I'm saying is that although the top players are playing the matchup right at the basic level they're just missing out on some of the little things that could help them do better in the matchup. Things that other top players wouldn't have bothered exploring if they weren't of any use.

Oh please. Of course I'm not saying I'd beat Sonic, he plays in tournaments all the time and can get that experience. That's a stupid assumption to make.