What's new

Help with U3

Hello fellow Quan Chiers.
I am having a little trouble doing a U3 after a skydrop. So I just wanted to know, should I do dash, U3 or just U3 after the skydrop? I usually end up jumping or end up just doing a 3.
Also if any high level Quan Chi players would like to play me online(PSN) that would be great, maybe I could learn a thing or two.

AU_SUCK

MEOW
After a sky drop its much better to go into B3 1+2 or F1 2 for mixups. U3 is slow and can be fuzzy guarded/ blocked on reaction. so your better off doing something else. i like to go into what looks like a rune trap but then stop mid string and either throw or B3. i guess its all personal opinions but i think U3 is trash.

After a sky drop its much better to go into B3 1+2 or F1 2 for mixups. U3 is slow and can be fuzzy guarded/ blocked on reaction. so your better off doing something else. i like to go into what looks like a rune trap but then stop mid string and either throw or B3. i guess its all personal opinions but i think U3 is trash.
I disagree with this. I find U3 harder to fuzzy guard then B3 1+2 or F1 2. You should always be blocking low; you see that B3 and you know to block high; see that F1 and you know to stay low. Random U3 totally screws me over. Absolutely nothing wrong with an over head starter.

AU_SUCK

MEOW
I play Quan-Chi online everyday and even online i get U3 fuzzy guarded all day long. Not to mention I would rather get punished off a blocked B3 12 or F12 than be punished off a missed U3 trance or just U3 for that matter.

AU_SUCK

MEOW
no your at the right distance after a sky drop. just U3. but they can jump out and get a free jump in punch full combo on you.

eskuAdradit0

"Thanks" button abuser.
Quan Chi is soo easily fuzzy guarded. I used to like his mixups, but then I realized all they have to do is block low until they see the slow-ass overheads come in play.

myth

Noob
So much salt in this thread.

Yes u3 is too slow (needs less frames) and easy to read but, it is a match winner when used properly.

You want to rely on your rune trap and only use u3 if you NEED to gain more damage/meter to finish you're rune trap FTW.

Basically you're (most likely) trying to use it too soon after skydrop. Give u3 the amount of time a dash-in takes before you try it (or just practice).

A great way to train you opponent to receive the u3 ~trance is to make them focus on blocking low with b3,1+2 (or f1,2) exGB a few times.

But yes grabs are good too

u3xtrance can be very good after 212exrune but i dont like it after skydrop.

as for getting a jump or standing 3 after skydrop i would assume you are inputting the u3 too soon and before you have recovered from the skydrop. if you are consistently inputting the u3 correctly after other strings or on its own then its probably just a timing issue and not an execution problem.

Thank you all for the replies.
But I have a question about the rune trap. Recently I fought some guy who was able to jump out of it almost every single time I attempted a second 212 EXrune, which I would normally never ever have a problem with. I know u can just cancel into trance, but is it that I was just doing it too slow? Or is rune trap escapable with a jump? I just find it weird that ONLY this one guy was able to do it to me.

Pagan

Noob
U3 is for online only.

Offline it can easily be blocked ON REACTION by someone who is used to playing against Quan Chi.

[MENTION=10794]Quan_Cheese[/MENTION]

If he's getting out it's probably lag. Try doing 112 and hit confirm into trance to make him stop that.

U3 is for online only.

Offline it can easily be blocked ON REACTION by someone who is used to playing against Quan Chi.

If he's getting out it's probably lag. Try doing 112 and hit confirm into trance to make him stop that.
alright thank you.

U3 is for online only.

Ive seen Shujinkydink, arguably the best offline Quan use U3xtrance quite a bit actually. Alot more than the known online quans use it. I think its probably a safer bet that we are underusing it than he is overusing it as he has had quite a bit of success with it, most recently after a 212exrune. Alot of players will just sit in crouch block while in stun from an ex rune.

If hes jumping out of 212exrune before you can start another then youre not starting the next series of 212s soon enough as the rune trap is a "trap" that can not be jumped out of if done correctly. Any match where the lag is so bad that you cant achieve this is not worth playing as the rune trap is EVERYTHING to this character and the timing and execution has to be learned to make it inescapable (though against someone who is always trying to jump out 212 or 112 trance is even better). If they have the time to jump out then its likely they have the time to poke or ex out also.

Metzos

You will BOW to me!
U3 can be jumped after skydrop hits. Slow startup. Better use it when you are pressuring, but not all the time cause its very punishable on block.

Pagan

Noob
Ive seen Shujinkydink, arguably the best offline Quan use U3xtrance quite a bit actually. Alot more than the known online quans use it. I think its probably a safer bet that we are underusing it than he is overusing it as he has had quite a bit of success with it, most recently after a 212exrune. Alot of players will just sit in crouch block while in stun from an ex rune.
26f startup. In comparison Raiden's teleport is 28f. If he's landing it sweet but people who are use to playing against quan rarely let this land just like people who play against Raiden are conditioned to his teleport.

If hes jumping out of 212exrune before you can start another then youre not starting the next series of 212s soon enough as the rune trap is a "trap" that can not be jumped out of if done correctly. Any match where the lag is so bad that you cant achieve this is not worth playing as the rune trap is EVERYTHING to this character and the timing and execution has to be learned to make it inescapable (though against someone who is always trying to jump out 212 or 112 trance is even better). If they have the time to jump out then its likely they have the time to poke or ex out also.
With that said though, he might not have the opportunity to play offline.

26f startup. In comparison Raiden's teleport is 28f. If he's landing it sweet but people who are use to playing against quan rarely let this land just like people who play against Raiden are conditioned to his teleport.

With that said though, he might not have the opportunity to play offline.
Yea unfortunately I don't really have any other way of playing other than online :( my only way of practicing is online, I have nobody to play offline with.

STB Shujinkydink

Burning down in flames for kicks
thanks for the mention gangsta! its cool to know someones watching my tournament footage lol.

u3 is my favorite trick. I spend prolly the whole first round setting it up. If the opponent is consistently blocking low, I will train him to block low by doing d3's, b3,1+2 etc...then throw out the u3 in a clutch situation. everyone says u3 is so easy to fuzzy guard but no one does it as easy as you'd think. the important thing is not to abuse it, its a game changer, not a technique really. in a close match throw it out to get the final bit of damage.

as far as the rune trap goes, 212 ex rune is not guaranteed online. most players dont know this tho. armored moves and pokes can get out of it. if the opponent tries to jump out, you will still hit him with the 212 while hes airborne. if this happens hit confirm into trance, meter build, skydrop and start again. if he jumps out again, rinse repeat. He'll stop evenutally lol

If hes blasting through with armor, switch to 21 ex rune. its guaranteed online. yes you give up building back a bit of meter, but for the guaranteed damage its worth it.

if theres anything else I can help with please let me know and happy quaning :)

thanks for the mention gangsta! its cool to know someones watching my tournament footage lol.

u3 is my favorite trick. I spend prolly the whole first round setting it up. If the opponent is consistently blocking low, I will train him to block low by doing d3's, b3,1+2 etc...then throw out the u3 in a clutch situation. everyone says u3 is so easy to fuzzy guard but no one does it as easy as you'd think. the important thing is not to abuse it, its a game changer, not a technique really. in a close match throw it out to get the final bit of damage.

as far as the rune trap goes, 212 ex rune is not guaranteed online. most players dont know this tho. armored moves and pokes can get out of it. if the opponent tries to jump out, you will still hit him with the 212 while hes airborne. if this happens hit confirm into trance, meter build, skydrop and start again. if he jumps out again, rinse repeat. He'll stop evenutally lol

If hes blasting through with armor, switch to 21 ex rune. its guaranteed online. yes you give up building back a bit of meter, but for the guaranteed damage its worth it.

Thank you, very helpful info.

I agree with shujinkydink, quan chi's rush down game is not like scorpion's vortex. You should always be blocking low against QC and the U3 will be blocked on reaction if you're always fishing for combos. If you can condition your opponent to always expect a low hit, then that U3 can be huge pain.

Skkra

PSN: Skkra
Could someone please enlighten me as to how to fuzzy guard in this game? I understand the concept, I believe - you want to block low and high at the same time? - but I don't understand how the game engine can be abused to negate a low/mid mixup. Can someone explain how you perform a fuzzy guard in this game? People talk about it a lot but I feel lost.

Roko1985

Put down the controller and run!

Good info! You are my favorite Quan player. I am an online player and sometimes after rune trap when i am out of meter i do 21,112(hit confirm)trance/db1/db1+BLK. I can be poked out after the 21, but most of the times they are witing for 212 and they let the block after i stop to 21 and then 112 catches them. What is your opinion? Is there better mixups or preassure? Thanks in advance.

Lord Beef

Death Metal and Trance
Could someone please enlighten me as to how to fuzzy guard in this game? I understand the concept, I believe - you want to block low and high at the same time? - but I don't understand how the game engine can be abused to negate a low/mid mixup. Can someone explain how you perform a fuzzy guard in this game? People talk about it a lot but I feel lost.
Using quans b3 1+2 string as an example, you would be crouch blocking the low kick, then release down as the overhead comes. Done properly you will look like youre blocking the OH crouching. You're not really blocking high and low at the same time, the game still registers a high block, but there aren't enough frames to get into the standing animation, so you appear to be crouching. Hope this helped ..

Sent from Somewhere to Somewhere Else

Skkra

PSN: Skkra
Using quans b3 1+2 string as an example, you would be crouch blocking the low kick, then release down as the overhead comes. Done properly you will look like youre blocking the OH crouching. You're not really blocking high and low at the same time, the game still registers a high block, but there aren't enough frames to get into the standing animation, so you appear to be crouching. Hope this helped ..
Ah. Thank you. When people talk about it in this game, they speak of it like its some kind of game-breaking tactic that is abusing the engine mechanics. I don't get the big deal then. It sounds like its just a visual thing, but the person is blocking correctly, and the game knows how they're blocking. Sounds fine to me.

So when people say "its so easy to fuzzy guard" they simply mean "its so easy to block by releasing crouch."

Lord Beef

Death Metal and Trance
Ah. Thank you. When people talk about it in this game, they speak of it like its some kind of game-breaking tactic that is abusing the engine mechanics. I don't get the big deal then. It sounds like its just a visual thing, but the person is blocking correctly, and the game knows how they're blocking. Sounds fine to me.

So when people say "its so easy to fuzzy guard" they simply mean "its so easy to block by releasing crouch."
That's exactly what it is