What's new

Help with frame traps

Hey guys.
Not exactly new to the website as i view it everyday but this is my first post. I normally main sektor or shang but after seeing JOP im thinking about maining johnny and would just like some advise on his frame traps.
Could someone please list them. Iv done my research and know aboit the nutpunch resets etc. and can nail them 90% of the time.Im just struggling on pressure play and understanding the traps which i know make johnny whoop!
So far all i that seems to be working is f3,2 d1, >> 11 grab.
Many thanks

leek

Noob
Hey guys.
Not exactly new to the website as i view it everyday but this is my first post. I normally main sektor or shang but after seeing JOP im thinking about maining johnny and would just like some advise on his frame traps.
Could someone please list them. Iv done my research and know aboit the nutpunch resets etc. and can nail them 90% of the time.Im just struggling on pressure play and understanding the traps which i know make johnny whoop!
So far all i that seems to be working is f3,2 d1, >> 11 grab.
Many thanks
What exactly are you asking?

Basically watching tournaments and from things that iv heard johnny has alot of frame advantage making it hard for the opponent to get out of block strings. Id just appreciate if someone could show the inputs for said combos.
F3 2 grab for example. But thats about all i know. The opponent cant get away from the grab....

leek

Noob
Basically watching tournaments and from things that iv heard johnny has alot of frame advantage making it hard for the opponent to get out of block strings. Id just appreciate if someone could show the inputs for said combos.
F3 2 grab for example. But thats about all i know. The opponent cant get away from the grab....
F+3,2 D+1 : opponent needs 6 frame or less attack to get out, other wise it keeps going until they eat a nut punch.

jump in punch, F+4 2,1 throw. (all on block.) if he is hit by F+4 do 2 dash 2 dash 2 44 nutpunch.. if you can't pull off the dashing 2's(it's tough for me on pad, so I understand.) then do 2 dash 2 dash 11 or just replace whatever 2 with 11 instead. Less damage but it's a lot easier to pull off.

11-F+3,2,D+1-F+3,3 ex forceball F+3,3 ex forceball F+3,2 and hit confirm a nut punch. that's what I use often.

Dat Al

Stay Frosty
Any tips on setting up the F3, 2 frame trap? I seem to get low poked out of the f3 before i can even get started by d3 or d4. I'm guessing go for a crossup, but I always seem to get punished. Answering back with my own d4 only creates more space for me to have to close.

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
Any tips on setting up the F3, 2 frame trap? I seem to get low poked out of the f3 before i can even get started by d3 or d4. I'm guessing go for a crossup, but I always seem to get punished. Answering back with my own d4 only creates more space for me to have to close.
D+1 can get you in, and D+4 on hit leaves you with advantage. You gotta be quick man. I also found out long ago not to just rush in and ALWAYS try for the frame trap. You just end up eating shit. You need to feel out when to start it up. Also, ALWAYS end combos with nut punch, then you're free to start up the trap.

Dat Al

Stay Frosty
Does adding a standing 1,1 after the d1 help to keep pressure up before going into the f3, 2 string? I think I might have seen JOP do this occasionally at EVO if im not mistaken.

leek

Noob
as far as low pokes go, just use 44 and whiff the first hit. you're legs will open up and the low poke will go under whiff hit, and second will knock out.

11 grants advantage on block so yeah you can try it and it will add pressure. i usually do 11 and begin doing whatever block strings/cross overs i can think of as he really doesn't have much to do against cage on block.

leek

Noob
don't know about 21 in that combo. never used.

I do know that a jump in punch into F+4 dash 2 dash 2 dash 2 dash 44 nutpunch is 8 hits at 37%, though.

and the dashing punching can be frustrating, a lot of the time if you're not precise enough the F+2 elbow will come out.

Tremloc

Noob
forget about jip's.

Looking at some other threads the 3 2's does 34 while the combo I listed does 32. I think the 21 dash 44~nut punch is easier to pull off though since you have to dash early enough that you can carry them for the 3rd 2.

Tremloc

Noob
Cage also moves forward considerably when doing the F+3, 2 string. Starting it outside of your opponents range can be a good surprise tactic.

Mikemetroid

Who hired this guy, WTF?
Does this do more damage than F+4, dash 2, dash 21, dash 44 ~ nut punch? cause it looks a little easier.
It doesn't and it also doesn't always connect after the 44 dick punch. Kind of like 2, 1 , f+2 dash 44 nut. It doesn't always connect.

Mikemetroid

Who hired this guy, WTF?
So you're saying stick with the dash 2, dash 2,1 right?
No use dash 2 dash 2 dash 2. everyone is only using two 2s. Its three 2s. it does more damage and in my opinion is a little easier to pull off then 2.
The dash 2 dash 21 does more than just dash 2 dash 2.

I'm sorry I tend to not read posts correctly.

Tremloc

Noob
No use dash 2 dash 2 dash 2. everyone is only using two 2s. Its three 2s. it does more damage and in my opinion is a little easier to pull off then 2.
The dash 2 dash 21 does more than just dash 2 dash 2.

I'm sorry I tend to not read posts correctly.
Cool, thanks for the response. Looks like I have a new combo to learn in training mode tonight!

sLeeK

Noob
F+3,2 D+1 : opponent needs 6 frame or less attack to get out, other wise it keeps going until they eat a nut punch.

jump in punch, F+4 2,1 throw. (all on block.) if he is hit by F+4 do 2 dash 2 dash 2 44 nutpunch.. if you can't pull off the dashing 2's(it's tough for me on pad, so I understand.) then do 2 dash 2 dash 11 or just replace whatever 2 with 11 instead. Less damage but it's a lot easier to pull off.

11-F+3,2,D+1-F+3,3 ex forceball F+3,3 ex forceball F+3,2 and hit confirm a nut punch. that's what I use often.
Epic pressure string ^ big thanks for this though, I was always curious on what people use for pressure strings. ahh I can envision the hate mail/0's in a koth match now :D

Also to add a combo JIP F+4, dash 2 1, dash 2 2, dash 4 4, nut punch I think its 9 hits for 35% and 37% if you use ex nut punch

Dat Al

Stay Frosty
Thanks for the clarification. Cage has been a really hard character for me to wrap my head around. I have no problems doing any combos or frame traps in a training setting, but once I play against a real opponent I fall apart under any pressure. So used to playing a more defensive style with Sub; having to constantly keep the pressure up is something that I struggle with and I guess being able to comes with experience. Just gotta keep at it, hopefully I'll get there eventually. Just feels so good to have an opponent totally locked down.

evansgambit

Guardian of Outworld
So you're saying stick with the dash 2, dash 2,1 right?
The problem with the 2,1 in those sorts of juggles is the opponents failing height. Using 2, 1, you can often whiff the 1. Whereas using dash, 2, dash, 2, dash, 2 xx nut punch avoids this.

I would say, unless you have the pattern down. 2, 1 is easilly to do, but you have to time it well.

leek

Noob
Epic pressure string ^ big thanks for this though, I was always curious on what people use for pressure strings. ahh I can envision the hate mail/0's in a koth match now :D

Also to add a combo JIP F+4, dash 2 1, dash 2 2, dash 4 4, nut punch I think its 9 hits for 35% and 37% if you use ex nut punch
Thanks brother ^^

This is all just based off of some casuals at an arcade I go to every few weeks, I've noticed that it usually is pretty easy to pull off that specific string and they won't try to react often. and, if you notice that they do try to interrupt you often, you can try to nut punch since it lowers your hitbox. Feel free to add me on PSN if you want me to show you in game you know? It translates a little better when you see it happening rather than on the computer. Other then that though I couldn't really show you much, it seems to me that everyone's got you covered in here as far as combos and etc go :D