What's new

Question - Raiden Help with combo preparation

GAINS

Noob
Disclaimer - this is my first fighting game and I don't know some of the terminology.

So im having trouble phrasing this, and thats why im scared it may have been asked already but i cant find so ill ask anyway. Im play raiden at the moment, and ive pretty much got a combo down : 214 enhanced electrocute B11 grab. It does a lot of damage and im quite proud of it. The problem i have is I cant seem to actually use it in fights: with sub-zero, my other character, i could start my combo if i freeze the enemy. Raiden doesnt have a freeze/stun, so whats to prevent my opponent from blocking and then uppercutting me? Every time i do this combo, it just gets blocked. Is there any way to ensure the combo will go off? thanks for any replies

Vilén

too smart to play MKX
Combos starting with 214 are for when you block a move that has enough negative frames on block your opponent can't defend in time before the string connects. This is called a punish. The combo you've got listed here is fine for when you're just starting out but there are much much much better ones in the combo thread for that situation that you should learn sooner rather than later.

Since most opponents don't generally just let themselves get hit, you should learn combos off of b33 and b2. b33 needs to be blocked low and b2 needs to be blocked standing. They'll have to guess. But don't go fishing with these because you'll get punished fairly bad as they're unsafe. Hit up the vortex thread and learn that so you'll have something in your arsenal that allows you to keep your opponent locked into guessing on the 50/50 until they get it right.

What's really key to remember here though is combos aren't the end all be all of fighting games. A huge chunk of your damage comes from plain, boring old chip damage, pokes and small conversions. Patience is the ultimate virtue in damn near every fighting game, And Raiden requires maybe a little bit more on top of what's already necessary.

Also, I don't know what variation you're using, but since Thunder God is the staple at this stage, you should check out the Thunder God string analysis thread. The strings are unsafe, but they're DEFINITELY not easily punished and the chip damage there adds waaaaaay the fuck up. Ignore this if you're a Displacer rebel or one of the two guys on the Master of Storms motorcycle.

Watch some tournament footage too. The game is like a week old so everyone is playing kind of like shit but you can see lots of fundamentals in play. And every once in a while the commentary is even relevant and informative. Mostly pay close attention to the moves they use and the moves they don't use and when they're applying said moves or not.

Sorry if this is a bubbleburster but there is absolutely no such thing as a user friendly fighting game. The whole experience is basically Dark Souls with new every title. Bugs, glitches, impossible nonsense and rage. Eventually you'll get fucked hard enough you start enjoying yourself. Or not.

Last edited: