What's new

Guide - Wrestler Help with a tanya mutch up

EmperorP

THE BRIGGZ
Hey guys am New to this site, I really really need help with a Tanya match up. I main jax in all three of his variations. I have had success in dominating other characters with jax but kobu jitsu Tanya gives me a lot of hell , so any help will be appreciated.

Kingshootahz

Ain't nobody trilla than shootah.
Bruh I'm sorry to tell you this but if you let tanya get started, all of your options are basically...nada so either as soon as the match starts you get as much advantage as possible I mean stay as fucking plus as possible, bait her air teleports then anti air as much as possible because to be honest you can't keep her in the corner for long you're gonna have to play a lot of neutral or you're just gonna lose...sorry

Tweedy

Noob
Hold on, isn't the downward punch 5 frames? You can literally do that raw through any gaps if so. Not to mention Jax has 6 and 7 frame buttons. He should be one of Tanya's harder match ups.

If Tanya does no gaps, full combo punish with F3 or F2.

Kingshootahz

Hold on, isn't the downward punch 5 frames? You can literally do that raw through any gaps if so. Not to mention Jax has 6 and 7 frame buttons. He should be one of Tanya's harder match ups.

Bruh she will stuff the fuck outta Jax then some

bdizzle2700

gotta stay sharp!
I know it's fun to hate on Tanya since she was once too strong, but Jax should be a losing match up for her, unless i'm wrong about that punch being 5 frames.
I *think* that's ex. And would be 6 frames. I could also be wrong. Bothing inthis game is 5 frames

Tweedy

Noob
I *think* that's ex. And would be 6 frames. I could also be wrong. Bothing inthis game is 5 frames
Quan Chi's NJP is definitely 5 frames, right?

But yeah, I raw spin through Tanya's gaps all the time with Kung Lao. I'd imagine Jax could get through with the downward punch, since it's a frame or two faster than spin.

Kingshootahz

I know it's fun to hate on Tanya since she was once too strong, but Jax should be a losing match up for her, unless i'm wrong about that punch being 5 frames.
I kinda gave up on the matchup a while ago but I guess I should relab this again

Tweedy

Noob
I kinda gave up on the matchup a while ago but I guess I should relab this again
If she delays the first or second rekka, or stops at them, you should always be able to punish with the EX downward punch or S1. If she finishes the rekkas without a delay, F2 or F3 for a full combo punish.

Just watch for her to stop the string at B1 2+4, B3, or B31. Dab did this to me like 50 times in the ESL top 8 lol. I was waiting to spin or punish, so he just had a field day with that.

She has 50/50 armored wake ups, forward advancing double hitting armor, etc, but you can mix up your offense with Jax's NJK or NJP. Those will stuff all of her wake ups, or at least make her whiff.

And anti air. Jax's D2 is nuts.

Edit: Edited since the downward dash isn't actually 5 frames.

Undeadjim

Green Lantern Corps.

The Downward dash is at least 10 frames, the game doesn't do a good example of explaining that you're canceling the dash punch animation to the overhead.

OP if you're playing Pumped Up which I recommend, you can reversal any gap in a rekka and punish regardless if the Tanya player was trying to bait a reversal given PU's EX GG is 7 frame start up. Other than that you can slowly advance and check her zoning if predictable with air GP and plasma better than the slower rocket in HW.

Tweedy

Noob
The Downward dash is at least 10 frames, the game doesn't do a good example of explaining that you're canceling the dash punch animation to the overhead.

OP if you're playing Pumped Up which I recommend, you can reversal any gap in a rekka and punish regardless if the Tanya player was trying to bait a reversal given PU's EX GG is 7 frame start up. Other than that you can slowly advance and check her zoning if predictable with air GP and plasma better than the slower rocket in HW.
Word. I'm assuming that his S1 would be good for getting through delays without meter?

bdizzle2700

gotta stay sharp!
Quan Chi's NJP is definitely 5 frames, right?

But yeah, I raw spin through Tanya's gaps all the time with Kung Lao. I'd imagine Jax could get through with the downward punch, since it's a frame or two faster than spin.
I guess thats true. I dont count that cause you have to jump first. So technically more.but you have a point

Undeadjim

Green Lantern Corps.
Word. I'm assuming that his S1 would be good for getting through delays without meter?
If the Tanya player is really delaying the gaps it is possible, however PU gives you 22% if they even Rekka on block unless they spend meter to make themselves safe. This is my go to tool in this MU.

EmperorP

THE BRIGGZ
I wil b attending a tournament this month end , so I wil try to upload the video so u guys can judge my gameplay against her

Undergroundepict

I am like the blue rose

DDP is not 5 frames. That is an error in the movelist. It is somewhere between 10-15.

It might be that it is 5 frames greater than the 10 frame dash punch, although I am not certain of this. It feels more like a 10 frame move.

Edit: Didn't see that the issue has been discussed already. My bad.

Last edited: