What's new

Help needed with entering the "bios" in UMK3 machine

NinjaGrinder

A living, Breathing Piece of Defecating Meat
Hello, folks

I need a little help. Well, we bought some umk3 arcade machine and that's the one we use for the tournaments and such. When there are no tornies, we actually put coins on it and the 60% of that recauded money is for the winner of each umk3 tournament. The rest is for manteinance. When we run a tournament, the game is free, but I have to "simulate" the credits, because I don't know how to enter the menu, the bios or whatever that is called. I can do it on mame LOL, but how do I activate it on the machine? is there a switch? a button? can someone please tell me? thanks a lot. cya :)

YourMKArcadeSource

Your Source For All Things MK Arcade Related
What type of machine is it? Dedicated? Somewhere behind the coin door should be a row of momentary pushbuttons that are for volume control, credits, and menu intrusion. They are right next to the lock on the back side of the coin door. If this is not a dedicated machine, then they could be anywhere. If you can't find them, all you would need to do is use the picture ZAQ posted, take a wire, and ground pin 15 on the component side of the Jamma connector. That will take you into the service menu where you can use the joystick and buttons to make any adjustments you need. However, if your intent it to set the game to free play or change the cost of the game, you may need to change the dip switches to allow for pricing to be set by CMOS and not by dipswitch.

YourMKArcadeSource

Man. What a nightmare. I would suggest simply taking a wire and grounding pin 15 (component side of connector) to access the menu and change things from there. Seem the best way.

NinjaGrinder

Thanks a lot, guys! I'm so tired right now but I will look into the pics and info later and try to configure that shit. Really, thanks a lot for your help. And thanks, Tim for uploading the pictures. I know it looks broken but it's working perfectly. Maybe we need to do some maintenance, huh? lol

YourMKArcadeSource

NinjaGrinder said:
Thanks a lot, guys! I'm so tired right now but I will look into the pics and info later and try to configure that shit. Really, thanks a lot for your help. And thanks, Tim for uploading the pictures. I know it looks broken but it's working perfectly. Maybe we need to do some maintenance, huh? lol

Maintenance is an understatement. How did you adjust the volume before without being able to get into the service menu? Or has it always been at a level where you didn't need to adjust it? If I were near you, I'd build you an entire new dedicated cabinet for free. I have plenty of extra materials and the know-how. Totally serious. Too bad I'm working in Afghanistan..

NinjaGrinder

Well, I've never accessed the service menu before. And that's exactly what I need to do, so I can adjust the volume (when we're not running tornies, the other people at the hobby center complain about it -they're playing rol games and stuff) and we want to change the pricing to usa 1 (I think that's the one that needs 2 credits to play?)

So, I printed the manuals (thankz, Zaq!). I just need to know: do I have to turn the machine down while I move those buttons (the image you posted to put it in freeplay)?

And I don't know, maybe it's the language barrier, but I don't get that "I would suggest simply taking a wire and grounding pin 15 (component side of connector) to access the menu and change things from there."

A wire is something like a cable, right? or what? a metal clip?
What's "grounding"? like, inserting the metal clip into the pin?

I assume that need to be done while the machine is ON?
and once the service menu pops up, do I use the joistick and buttons to navigate through it? any button will do it?

Thanks again for all your help, guys. I just don't wanna break the game, so that's why I'm asking everything literally. Oh and thanks for the offer anyway, mk3fan, that would be great jeje.

YourMKArcadeSource

Ok, TECHNICALLY it doesn't matter which wire is on what contact, but the top contact in the picture above is actually the "Common/Ground" connection and the one below it is the "input/signal" wire.

It is completely safe to move the dipswitches while the machine is running. Nothing will change until you reset the game. You can do so by pressing the little white button right near the CMOS battery. You don't need to power the machine completely down.

Look at your Jamma connector. Each side has different wires/cables that do different things and go to different switches. There is a "Component Side" and a "Solder Side." The Component side is the side with the row of wires that is the same side as the top of the PCB (the side with the roms). The Solder side is the other side of the Jamma connector (the bottom of the PCB with all the solder pads). Looking at the connector, the end closest to the front of the cabinet should be your wires coming from the power supply for your 12vdc, 5vdc, -12vdc and -5vdc. Count 15 pins over starting from that end (component side) and when you get to the 15th pin/connection point, if there is no wire/cable, "simply get a wire and touch that pin/contact to the black grounds at the other end of the Jamma connector." That will trigger your entrance to the service menu.

I hope this makes sense. It's as simple as I can make it, but to the layman, it may sound dangerous and difficult. It is not. Wish I was home so I could show you.

NinjaGrinder

Yeah you're right. It sounds dangerous and difficult to me jajajaja but I'll try and see what I can do. It would be so much easier for me in spanish LOL

Really, thanks a lot guys. I'm gonna do that shit tonight with a friend, so hopefully everything comes out right and we can play tomorrow with lower volume and knowing how to put the game in freeplay. I'll keep you guys posted :p

YourMKArcadeSource

MK3fan said:
Ok, TECHNICALLY it doesn't matter which wire is on what contact, but the top contact in the picture above is actually the "Common/Ground" connection and the one below it is the "input/signal" wire.

It is completely safe to move the dipswitches while the machine is running. Nothing will change until you reset the game. You can do so by pressing the little white button right near the CMOS battery. You don't need to power the machine completely down.

Look at your Jamma connector. Each side has different wires/cables that do different things and go to different switches. There is a "Component Side" and a "Solder Side." The Component side is the side with the row of wires that is the same side as the top of the PCB (the side with the roms). The Solder side is the other side of the Jamma connector (the bottom of the PCB with all the solder pads). Looking at the connector, the end closest to the front of the cabinet should be your wires coming from the power supply for your 12vdc, 5vdc, -12vdc and -5vdc. Count 15 pins over starting from that end (component side) and when you get to the 15th pin/connection point, if there is no wire/cable, "simply get a wire and touch that pin/contact to the black grounds at the other end of the Jamma connector." That will trigger your entrance to the service menu.

I hope this makes sense. It's as simple as I can make it, but to the layman, it may sound dangerous and difficult. It is not. Wish I was home so I could show you.

Bueno, técnicamente no importa qué cable está en lo que el contacto, pero el contacto superior de la imagen de arriba es en realidad el "Common / Tierra" de conexión y la de abajo es la "entrada / señal" de alambre.

Es completamente seguro para mover los interruptores DIP, mientras que la máquina está funcionando. Nada cambiará hasta que vuelva el juego. Puede hacerlo pulsando el botón de la derecha poco blanco cerca de la batería CMOS. No es necesario para alimentar la máquina completamente.

Mire a su conector Jamma. Cada lado tiene diferentes cables / cables que hacen cosas diferentes e ir a los diferentes interruptores. Hay un "lado de los componentes" y un "lado de la soldadura". El lado de los componentes es la parte con la fila de alambres que es el mismo lado de la parte superior de la PCB (del lado de la ROM). El lado de la soldadura es el otro lado del conector Jamma (la parte inferior de la placa con todos los puntos de soldadura). Mirando el conector, el extremo más cercano al frente del gabinete deben ser los cables procedentes de la fuente de alimentación para su 12vdc, 5V,-12vdc y 5vdc. Contar con más de 15 pines a partir de ese extremo (lado del componente) y al llegar al 15 pines / punto de conexión, si no hay un hilo / cable, "simplemente obtener un alambre y toque que el pin / contacto con el terreno negro en el otro extremo del conector Jamma ". Que dará lugar a su entrada al menú de servicio.

Espero que esto tenga sentido. Es tan simple como lo puedo hacer, pero para el profano, puede parecer peligroso y difícil. No lo es. Ojalá estuviera en casa para que yo pudiera mostrar.

BeRB

Noob
MK3fan said:
Maintenance is an understatement. How did you adjust the volume before without being able to get into the service menu? Or has it always been at a level where you didn't need to adjust it? If I were near you, I'd build you an entire new dedicated cabinet for free. I have plenty of extra materials and the know-how. Totally serious. Too bad I'm working in Afghanistan..
Id make sweet love to you for that ;) Ninja use a translator.
I think google has a translator that you can just copy our text into.

NinjaGrinder

Thanks a lot for taking the time to translate it, but its not that I don't understand the words or their meaning. Its just it would be easier if I knew a person with the knowledge of you guys, but that speak spanish :p
And those translators kinda suck jaja it looks hella wierd in that way. But really, thanks a lot for taking the time to do it, man.

I couldn't go to the hobbie center but surely we'll do that by this weekend, if not earlier. I printed the images, manuals and useful posts and I'm sure everything will come out just fine. Thanks again and I'll let you know.

NinjaGrinder

Hi there

Thanks a lot to all of you guys who helped me in any way. I managed to enter the menu and now everytime I want to turn the volume down or put the game on freeplay is not a problem. I honestly don't know what would I have done without your kind and quick help.

I did it through the dip swtich # 1, moving pin number 1 to ON. I do the changes, exit the test menu and then move the pin to OFF and that's it. Thanks ZAQ for the manual! and MK3fan for all your help. btw, I did it several weeks ago but I coulnd't find the time to come in here and tell you guys.

cya!