What's new

Help me lvl up - How to train/lab?

sealt

Noob
Hey, I am an okayish MK11 player that really wants to levelup.
But I quite do not know how and in whichorder/priorities.

my throw/tech throw game is very weak
I'm bad at hitconforming
my spacing needs work
my pokegamesucks (loose a lot to d1, d1, throw)
my antiairs need work
my defense is shit
movement/dashing/dashcanncles needs work

Basically, I need to up my game in every aspect of the game lol.

I uploaded 2 example Sets from KL and maybe some of you might wanna look at them and tell me, whichaspect is the most important one I need to work on and how I can train/lab that efficient.

Could Uploade more footage if needed.

Thanks everyone in advance for the time and help.

DDutchguy

Stand 4'ing airplanes out of the sky
Something that worked wonders for me is to play one or several matches where you're 100% on defense. With your mind being off of your offensive gameplan, you can consciously look for throws and when your opponent likes to use them. This alone helped me tremendously when it came to teching throws.

I'm bad at hitconforming
Go to the lab and set your opponent to blocking a random combo (I think this blocking option is called 'Random Kombo'). Then, start doing whatever it is you're trying to hit confirm. Due to the AI blocking randomly, you'll have to constantly pay attention to whether you should or should not convert into the rest of your combo.

my spacing needs work
Go to the lab and check the maximum range of your buttons. This is kind of tough to lab because having the right spacing there is different from having the right spacing in a real match. Still, knowing your max range by heart is still a massive help.

Depends on the situation what you should do here. If you keep getting poked out of your stuff, for instance after you hit a D1 and then go for a high, force them to block by going for a mid instead. Doing D1 on hit into a fast mid forces your opponent to respect you, especially if you can hit confirm said mid into a full combo.

If instead they do the D1 D1 throw stuff you mentioned, you have to learn to counterpoke with your own poke very quickly after you block one of theirs. This is kind of tough to lab and from my experience you can only get down through experience in real matches.

my antiairs need work
Go to the lab and record your opponent to do a jump kick, both from jump distance and after they knock you down and do a crossup jump. Find out what your best anti-air is in either situation. Maybe you can also play around with random playbacks here to train your AAs to be on reaction.

my defense is shit
Try and go the 100% defense matches I mentioned. You might take a few losses but it'll be good in the long term if it does indeed help your defense.

Go to the lab and practice wave dashing, all you can do really. It's hard so it just requires practice practice and more practice.

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
First off you’re much better than most average players, but here’s what I could see from your matches:

You’re jumping too much. I know jump kicks are safe, but once you’ll meet a player who constantly anti-airs you, it’ll be a hard habit to get rid of. If you jump go into air bullet barrage, especially if your opponent jumps a lot too. And Cassie has great anti airs ( B3, S1, S3), so no need to actually be in the air all that much except for combos. You’re good at whiff punishing, enforce that more instead of jumping.

To interrupt strings use D1 so you can start offense right away or throw them (tho hers is not good as others) so be careful.

Hit confirming with Cassie especially is crucial to her gameplan. I am able to do it now more than ever because of reaction times and practicing, a lot. And a bulk of what you listed comes from just grinding this stuff with one character.

Also, if you’re playing on a TV check your settings make sure it’s on game mode if not of you have a computer monitor they have way less input lag and can make a huge difference, especially for Cassie since her combos are wack.

My advice is to keep grinding and play long sets with good players.

Last edited:

sealt

Noob
Thank you for all youre input!
@Vslayer
Funfact is a couple days ago i would nearly never ever jump, then i found out a late jk4 often guarantees a f4 and often is not blocked. I stop Jumping as soon my opponent is good at anti airing me.

Im still not sure whats the most important thing to improve. But i hit the lab today a little bit to practice hitconforming as @DDutchguy mentioned.

Phr4nk

2021 Ash Main
my spacing needs work
A trick I picked up from Street Fighter players:

Go into the lab and hit the opponent with a standing 1 at max range. Then walk back, and walk up to your opponent and do it again. Do it 10 times in a row and if you miss start over. Once you're done with s1, repeat for the rest of your normals.

Pick characters that you think are outspacing you, and run the exercise for them too.

Whiff punishes are an important part of MK11. It's important to know exactly how far you can be and still land normals. If you do this exercise a few times you should find yourself whiffing a lot less, and punishing your opponents whiffs more.

LawAbidingCitizen

Bomb Setups & Ball Rolls(Mileena/Cyrax)
Hey, I am an okayish MK11 player that really wants to levelup.
But I quite do not know how and in whichorder/priorities.

I'm bad at hitconforming
my spacing needs work
my antiairs need work
my defense is shit

Basically, I need to up my game in every aspect of the game lol.

I uploaded 2 example Sets from KL and maybe some of you might wanna look at them and tell me, whichaspect is the most important one I need to work on and how I can train/lab that efficient.

Could Uploade more footage if needed.

Thanks everyone in advance for the time and help.
I commend you for asking for help. Something I don't see often even though its the best way to improve yourself no matter the level of skill you posses.

I'll do my best to help you in all the areas you said you are lacking in:

Counterpoking, Hit confirming, teching/punishing throws, spacing/footsie, movement, dashing and AA's are all perfectable in practice mode. With that said you simply utilize the options in practice to develop muscle memory so you can quickly and consistently do all of the above in matches.

Counter Poking:
most pokes are -2 to -5 on block, this allows you to return fire with a poke of your own. On hit its your turn, go through your characters moveslist and find the hit adv of your pokes and find moves that are no more than 5 frames more startup than your pokes hit adv. For example if I'm plus 10 on my D1 on hit I want to find a string that starts up in 15 or less frames to follow up with on hit. This guarantees they can't interrupt with anything (it jails) they have to block or get combo. Go in practice and set AI to record doing D1 multiple times as fast as you can and block the poke and counter with a poke. Eventually you will get it perfect.

Hit confirming strings:
Tag the moves you want to see if they are hit confirmable in practice and set AI to block random combo. Generally hitconfirmable normals are two hits or more and have about 25 frames with first and second hit combined. Almost every 3 hit string is hit confirm able. You have AI set to Block Random Combo and try the string as many times as you need. Try doing the move into a special move that is unsafe but starts combo only when you hit opponent but don't do the special when the AI blocks. Do this hundreds of times until you can do it easily without even focusing on it..

Teching Throws:
Set AI to Record Slot 1 and have the AI throw backwards. Set AI to record slot 2 have it Forward Throw. Set Playback to Random Hidden Select where the number is. This will set the AI to randomly do the two types of throws on you over and over. Go to Practice Options and set reset position to Close so the AI is right next to you to throw you. (Makes things faster) when the AI dummy throws you you press 1/3(Back Throw) or 2/4(Forward Throw) depending on type of throw.
Do this hundreds of times until you tech them every time, if yoU aRe doing it right you will tech the throw or get Escape Failed on screen when you guess wrong but still pressed in time. You have to let go of block before you can tech.
After doing that record 4 different things like string or poke into throw and normal on another slot so you have to be on your toes and guess multiple things. This increases reaction speed and that's how you tech throws.

Anti Airs:
Same thing as before record AI to jump in kick and go through your normals and find the best option for your character to AA them and find follow ups to get optimal damage To discouraged your opponent from jumping again. Like before practice and repetition makes perfect. Same for Spacing, Dashes and all fundamentals.

You will need to work on your Reaction timing the most, punishers, wiff punishing(footsie), character specific matchups: their gaps, weaknesses, range of moves, negative and safe moves, what moves end in highs, what staggers or plus frames they have etc.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
So, Joe Munday has this series/book called Gief's Gym, which is a guide to a bunch of drills you can do in practice mode to help work on fundamentals. It's obviously done from a Street Fighter perspective, but almost all of the drills can be modded for pretty much any other fighting game, such as MK11.