What's new

Match-up Discussion Help Me | Fighting Against Johnny Cage with Rain

STB Bodam

"Game... Blouses."
Seriously,
It's not the F3-3~Forceball traps that kill me; it's pretty much everything else. I guess I would tell you I jump far too much in this match-up, but it's very difficult to beat out any of Cage's strings with my own. Obviously, armored Roundhouses are the relatively easy answer and I know some will tell me the shielded dash would be my best bet but it's a lot easier said than done especially with the threat of the fast advancing string of F3-3-B3.

General strategies? Strings to use? Anything at this point! I'm tired of losing to this son-of-a-bitch. I got blown up so badly by XBL Mind Gamez and Peckapowa 's Cages on stream this weekend that I really need to go back to the drawing board for this match-up and figure out what the hell I need to do.

Help!!
BookBurning --- Smarrgasm --- MK Kobra --- Brownie --- Abtin

Alright RyRy

Florida Kombat
Water Gun is your friend in this match-up. It AA's me and its pretty safe. Don't rush in. And Pray that you make a good read and EX Roundhouse my pressure. That is all i can think of right off the back.

PND i2 Gaug3

NERF Everything, LEAVE Nothing
4 rhc is Godlike and the 4 Ava's as well just get the range and timing down rain is anti rush down char he negates rushdown

Sent from the PND Haters Ball

PND i2 Gaug3

NERF Everything, LEAVE Nothing
4 rhc is Godlike and the 4 Ava's as well just get the range and timing down rain is anti rush down char he negates rushdown

Sent from the PND Haters Ball

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
i dont play rain but i believe ex rhc and it's portable armour should be pretty useful.

NkdSingularity

Truth and Ugly
d1/d3xxGeyser!
But seriously, squirt would be so useful in this MU if it had some fucking range :mad:.
It's tied for my first choice buff for Rain along with Lightnings hitbox and recovery on whiff.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
lol, I made a thread like this too after losing to mind gamez!

The only thing I could add to this conversation is... don't forget about Rain's D1, that's his best poke. 6 frames isn't it?

RTM2004

Revenant Jade
Seriously,
It's not the F3-3~Forceball traps that kill me; it's pretty much everything else.
General strategies? Strings to use? Anything at this point! I'm tired of losing to this son-of-a-bitch.
You should ask F0xy Grampa for Rain vs Cage advice, he uses both characters at his pro level so he knows the advantages and weaknesses both these characters have on each other. Everyone is sleeping on Rain, the character is ridiculously good, I would place him maybe #11-12.. it's like how everyone forgot about Cage saying he can be zoned out during the "zoning wins' days months back until Curbo brought him into the light, Kung Lao gets another mention as well. Really, everyone forgot about Rain it's only a matter of time he will resurface. Just like everyone forgot about Kenshi and Skarlet, only time will reveal. Rain is loaded with armor, too many safe strings on block, RH cancel pressure, high damage output along with his Damage Boost option, armored Ex Roundhouse Kick combo launcher 40% like Sonya's Ex Cartwheel, don't forget Ex Bubble that drains meter like no tomorrow you end up in long combos like Cyrax and Quan Chi loops.

BTW, Rain is VERY irritating playing footsies against.. that 4,3 and B2,1+2 is so annoying up close and he keeps you out.

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
i was playing SwiftTomHanks yesterday with cage against his rain. Basically what we found is that for rain to go toe to toe with cage, he definetly needs that armor just to make johnny respect it. If he didnt have any meter, cage can honestly run right over him if he is smart about it as besides armor, rain doesnt have the best options out of pressure. He was using a lot of b2 strings to try to get in. Once he got in, he would do a little bit of pressure, build some meter, and go back into footsies. Maybe he will come in and talk about the match from his point of view? It definetly seems extremely meter dependent though.

SwiftTomHanks

missiles are coming
i was playing SwiftTomHanks yesterday with cage against his rain. Basically what we found is that for rain to go toe to toe with cage, he definetly needs that armor just to make johnny respect it. If he didnt have any meter, cage can honestly run right over him if he is smart about it as besides armor, rain doesnt have the best options out of pressure. He was using a lot of b2 strings to try to get in. Once he got in, he would do a little bit of pressure, build some meter, and go back into footsies. Maybe he will come in and talk about the match from his point of view? It definetly seems extremely meter dependent though.
Yea, I mean.. I'm not a Rain mainer so I'm not sure how much validity my experience holds but Soapboxfan summed it up pretty well imo.

I was also playing Claude's Cage and he actually zoned Rain out from time to time. Rain seems so easy to lame out, the fact that Cage can even do it is quite the statement.

Up close though, if you have at least one bar Cage is going to have to be careful. Otherwise you wanna use d1 to get out of pressure like everyone else. Lighting gets punished on whiff or block from shadow kick except from full screen so that's out. Soapbox would catch me with f3 while I was coming in with b2 a lot so I started to make my way in with d4 towards the end of the day which seemed to work better.

Before yesterday I thought Rain was going to walk all over Cage; it's much harder than it looks on paper imo.

SatsuiYesHadou

Yung Kneecaps
I'm not sure but I think the 33 string is good in this match for you. Idk how but sometimes rain players hit me in between my strings with it and then I eat a combo. But like I said I'm not too sure about this but I think it could help out

STB Bodam

"Game... Blouses."
I'm not sure but I think the 33 string is good in this match for you. Idk how but sometimes rain players hit me in between my strings with it and then I eat a combo. But like I said I'm not too sure about this but I think it could help out
It does help quite a bit, the only problem is if you whiff it; you're in a lot of trouble and it's also so easy to poke out of. If Rain could follow up his pokes a little better, this thread wouldn't exist but it's so difficult to just rely on B+2, D+4 and standing 3~RH/RHc to win in this match-up.

I'm going to keep trying to learn this match-up. Thanks everyone for yours posts!

SaJa

FH_FenriR
Make a ex-RH as soon as you see a hit which won't be hit confirmed. JC is a good match up for Rain coz both have shit zoning and Rain is the king of armors in close fight.

There are some more Rain vs JC offline on my channel if you want to have a look but albritz isn't as good as matteo.

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
Play footsies with 4 RH and keep the threat of lightning there, you cant lose.

If they jump from fullscreen expecting a lightning AA them for 40% and drain their meter

UsedForGlue

"Strength isn't everything"
Make a ex-RH as soon as you see a hit which won't be hit confirmed. JC is a good match up for Rain coz both have shit zoning and Rain is the king of armors in close fight.

There are some more Rain vs JC offline on my channel if you want to have a look but albritz isn't as good as matteo.
Sorry man, But Matteo doesn't know what he is doing, he is just pressing random buttons, such as, 11, 11F1...B3? He doesn't know what reaction state the opponent is in on block...Also, his idea of a good ''tactic'' is Jump forward, then random NJP...

Sometimes I have even known him to do D3 Flipkick on occasions, then mash D1.

But, because he is wreck less and lacks any footsie game, you can turtle him into stupidity, then expect all sorts of passive aggressive instant messages like:

''I can't beat your back away style, gg''
''I don't like your style, but gg''
''It's hard to beat someone who doesn't attack, gg''
''You just wait for me to make a mistake, and never make the first move, gg''
''I don't play this game as much as you anymore, gg''
''I just play for fun, so I won't wait as much as you, gg''
''All you do is clone or counter pick, gg''

The answer is simple, if your going to make the first move, then don't get it wrong.

UsedForGlue

Once Cage players try to get ''smart'' (or what they believe smart to be) with Crossovers afters block strings to bait :ex RH, just wait for them to do it, and then armour up after the crossover.

Then wait with a smirk at their new intelligence to rear it's stupid fucking head.

UsedForGlue

Yea that is what started happening with me and swift.
The problem with most Rush down players, is that they are dumb and ignorant, but the flip side is, the zoners are soft and won't react to anything quick enough, in fear or respect of something.

So, there.

SaJa

FH_FenriR
Matteo isn't that for sure, but he is a very decent JC on psn(asodimaz stopped playing, madzin don't main him), also, if matteo is doing b+3 after some d3 or rdm block strings, it's because in online he knows that most of people will jump punch as soon as they have a chance to get out to counter a JC. And btw, I'm not expert either ^^

P.S : I also know matteo is a kid, one of the worse badmanner I've meet so far (and he is very polite with you lol)

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
I mean... exRH parry into 45% seems pretty legit. makes 11f1 obsolete if you have a single bar.

f0xy knows whats up. I think online is just a bitch when it comes to fighting Johnny Cage as well. Just part of the experience. Keep that in mind.

Rain is so fun.

STB Bodam

"Game... Blouses."
I mean... exRH parry into 45% seems pretty legit. makes 11f1 obsolete if you have a single bar.

f0xy knows whats up. I think online is just a bitch when it comes to fighting Johnny Cage as well. Just part of the experience. Keep that in mind.

Rain is so fun.
Very true, man.
I swear...
I can get my pokes to come out offline but online, it's pretty much suicide trying to poke Johnny Cage before he throws out his F3. That shit always has more priority -- it seems. It's frickin' ridiculous. Also, as for Armored Dashes, that's a lot easier said than done online, as well. Don't get me wrong, you can land the occasional one but I've been knocked out of it so many times by Cages who make great reads and they just F3-3-B3 and then I lost a bar of meter just to glow pink momentarily.

Online is so frustrating... I'm scared to go to an offline tournament, I'll never look at MK9: Online the same way again.
-_-

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
Very true, man.
I swear...
I can get my pokes to come out offline but online, it's pretty much suicide trying to poke Johnny Cage before he throws out his F3. That shit always has more priority -- it seems. It's frickin' ridiculous. Also, as for Armored Dashes, that's a lot easier said than done online, as well. Don't get me wrong, you can land the occasional one but I've been knocked out of it so many times by Cages who make great reads and they just F3-3-B3 and then I lost a bar of meter just to glow pink momentarily.

Online is so frustrating... I'm scared to go to an offline tournament, I'll never look at MK9: Online the same way again.
-_-
lol yeah you'll learn to shrug off the online crap. Trust me :)