What's new

General/Other Help me beat my roommate

So i play very casually bout 800 online games or so. My roommate hasn't taken mk out of his ps3 since it came out i dont think has like 7000 online games. My sub can go even/better with his 2nd and 3rd which is sub and smoke. He hasn't picked anyone else in a long time vs me so i dunno about his other chars but i can't beat his main for shit. Its like once in 10 trys, he mains kitana and i know the match up is bad. But he doesn't hit combo's hes terrible at it. He just runs, throws fans and ass across the screen jump back and keep going. I have started to get a lil better lately beat him 5-4 in a first to 5 a few nights ago, but still not consistent.

Was wondering if theres any general tips about the match up i can learn by asking.

Some things i have trouble with

-punishing the ass across the screen. I've tried air clones lately to some success but it seems risky. Also tried to dash to where she will land and try to hit the 22 string when he tries to jump away.

-she builds so much meter i dont know how to stop it. Everytime i catch him he has breaker its frustrating. I try to trade freeze against fans but again its so risky.

-like i said he isn't combo oriented at all, his biggest combo maybe 23% in a match if he hits it which isn't often. He just has 7k games of fundamentals that i don't. What can i do to improve just my general fundamentals? What should i be practicing in my online matches ?

If anyone would like to help me with the match up practice my psn is FReaKoNaLeaSH_C_

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
Input slide backwards as soon as you see him do the ass fly move. You'll catch him every time. Pressure him on wakeup with D4 b/c Kitana's wakeups all hit high. Don't try to trade with fans very often.

he has 7000 games and can't do more than 23% with kitana? daaaaaaaaaaammmmmmmmnnnnnnnnn wtf

if he's throwing fans all day, you can just get a life lead, hold neutral duck and let him throw them to his heart's content. learn how to dash -> neutral duck if you're trying to get in. you can try watching some of tom brady's sub vs kitana matches, there's some great stuff in there.

Dark_Rob

Noob
So i play very casually bout 800 online games or so. My roommate hasn't taken mk out of his ps3 since it came out i dont think has like 7000 online games. My sub can go even/better with his 2nd and 3rd which is sub and smoke. He hasn't picked anyone else in a long time vs me so i dunno about his other chars but i can't beat his main for shit. Its like once in 10 trys, he mains kitana and i know the match up is bad. But he doesn't hit combo's hes terrible at it. He just runs, throws fans and ass across the screen jump back and keep going. I have started to get a lil better lately beat him 5-4 in a first to 5 a few nights ago, but still not consistent.

Was wondering if theres any general tips about the match up i can learn by asking.

Some things i have trouble with

-punishing the ass across the screen. I've tried air clones lately to some success but it seems risky. Also tried to dash to where she will land and try to hit the 22 string when he tries to jump away.

-she builds so much meter i dont know how to stop it. Everytime i catch him he has breaker its frustrating. I try to trade freeze against fans but again its so risky.

-like i said he isn't combo oriented at all, his biggest combo maybe 23% in a match if he hits it which isn't often. He just has 7k games of fundamentals that i don't. What can i do to improve just my general fundamentals? What should i be practicing in my online matches ?

If anyone would like to help me with the match up practice my psn is FReaKoNaLeaSH_C_
Well first off, forget about her meter. Theres nothing you can do to stop her from building it so dont even worry about it. The Kitana match is very hard for Subzero, its one of his worst matchups. You have to play this match lame. The first thing you want to do is if you get the life lead shift your mentality from "I have to beat her" to "She has to beat me" You can duck any fan she throws at you,normal,air, or EX you can duck them all. Ice clone is a real danger for her when trying to attack because many of her strings move her foward, potentially right into the clone. You can punish ass by sliding it on reaction, you will catch her with it as she lands. A good setup is after knocking her down drop an ice clone. If she wakes up with ass you can EX slide her and she will land on the clone giving you a full combo. Ultimately your entire game should be about trying to make her come to you. She cant touch you with anything unless she does.
Its alot harder if she has the life lead because then she will just runaway and throw fans. You can walk foward and use D3/D4 to instantly duck fans. This will also keep her from approaching because your D4 will beat out alot of her "get in" strings because its faster. Try and slowly move her to the corner. Always keep an eye out for that ass away because its a free slide for you everytime. If you have her near the corner use EX slide to put her back in it.
Knocking her down is essential. Kitana is pretty free on wakeup. She has no armor on any wakeup moves except EX ass and that doesnt help her. Also if you knock her down and drop a clone it will catch all of her wakeup moves and you get a free punish. Once she stops doing that you can come in and pressure her on wakeup. This is why her wakeups arent good against Subzero because she never knows if your going to clone or attack. Its a straight guess on her part.
Hope some of this helps, this isnt everything there is but its a good starting point.

about the slide on reaction, when do i do it? as soon as she starts across the screen or when she passes over me? btw thanks for the tips, i think if i can punish that move everytime it will help alot.

Dark_Rob

Noob
about the slide on reaction, when do i do it? as soon as she starts across the screen or when she passes over me? btw thanks for the tips, i think if i can punish that move everytime it will help alot.
Yea right as shes passing over you. And remember that clone set up, its good against her. When you get a knockdown, even off just a slide, dropping a clone right there as you recover from slide will stop all her wakeup attacks except ass away. But if she ass away's you can EX slide her right into the clone.

alright thats pretty nice stuff. haven't been able to land the clone/ ex slide thing yet but i like being able to stop kitana from using that move ever lol

BenGmanUk

Get staffed bro
Neutral duck all her fans and walk your way into her max f21 range. If she throws that out just walk back and 22~freeze her. As others have said just slide if she square waves and d4 her on wake up. Its not as hard as people make out if you're patient enough, though his 2 whiffing is a problem.

GamerBlake90

Blue Blurs for Life!
Well first off, forget about her meter. Theres nothing you can do to stop her from building it so dont even worry about it. The Kitana match is very hard for Subzero, its one of his worst matchups. You have to play this match lame. The first thing you want to do is if you get the life lead shift your mentality from "I have to beat her" to "She has to beat me" You can duck any fan she throws at you,normal,air, or EX you can duck them all. Ice clone is a real danger for her when trying to attack because many of her strings move her foward, potentially right into the clone. You can punish ass by sliding it on reaction, you will catch her with it as she lands. A good setup is after knocking her down drop an ice clone. If she wakes up with ass you can EX slide her and she will land on the clone giving you a full combo. Ultimately your entire game should be about trying to make her come to you. She cant touch you with anything unless she does.
Its alot harder if she has the life lead because then she will just runaway and throw fans. You can walk foward and use D3/D4 to instantly duck fans. This will also keep her from approaching because your D4 will beat out alot of her "get in" strings because its faster. Try and slowly move her to the corner. Always keep an eye out for that ass away because its a free slide for you everytime. If you have her near the corner use EX slide to put her back in it.
Knocking her down is essential. Kitana is pretty free on wakeup. She has no armor on any wakeup moves except EX ass and that doesnt help her. Also if you knock her down and drop a clone it will catch all of her wakeup moves and you get a free punish. Once she stops doing that you can come in and pressure her on wakeup. This is why her wakeups arent good against Subzero because she never knows if your going to clone or attack. Its a straight guess on her part.
Hope some of this helps, this isnt everything there is but its a good starting point.
I don't have much to add to this post, because Dark_Rob covered this match-up perfectly. Sub-Zero is usually on the rushdown side, but against someone like Kitana, he's forced to change his game completely.

Attempting to trade projectiles with Kitana is just asking to piss away your health, because Sub-Zero's Ice Ball has a slow start-up and Kitana can throw her fans in an instant-air style. Perhaps you could try EX Freeze, but if he's hit during the animation of the attack it will immediately lose its effect. Limit your use of the move when trying to force Kitana to approach you or when you're trying to approach her.

If you lose the life lead, back that Edenien bitch up against the wall, using the method that Rob described, and watch for her Square Wave dash. It can be punished by a slide. If Kitana is scared to risk it, you've got her right in the palm of your hand. Just be wary of that d1 of hers, she is hated quite a bit for it...with good reason.

Most importantly, don't try to approach her by jumping. Those fans are a good form of air control. Stay grounded and you can have a chance against Kitana. Likewise, if ever she's near you, she shouldn't approach you with jumping or you can anti-air away at her all day, which is one of Sub-Zero's strong points (damn that 2 2 anti-air!).

Keep the use of the clone limited to situations where Kitana is knocked down. Don't bother planting it from a distance, because Kitana has no need to go near it when she can just throw fans.

Good luck with your journey to conquer this match-up! :)

salvificblood

Worst Sub-Zero Ever
Try Putting ice clone in the air, so he will ass into it :p it could work.
It has too much recovery on it. Iaf's will catch you doing it and if kitana doesn't do anything,. she can watch you do it and then just chuck a grounded fan at you because of how long it takes you to recover after landing.

Squeaker101

Show me what you can do
...back that Edenien bitch up against the wall
Haha, I feel the exact same way.

I've never really had any trouble with Kitana (as Sub), I actually thought this was a bad MU for Kitana. (I suppose it's all luck) I usually make the trade. (Fan for Freeze? any day) Well this is online, so I can see why it'd be a bad MU for Sub offline. Just try get the life lead and make her come to you. Then she'll bow down. Sub is really good for controlling the pace of the match, take advantage of that.

Hope this helps.

xQUANTUMx

Twitter: @xxQUANTUM
Ya I've only air cloned a handful of times based on the kitana's patterns. Generally being airborne is a bad idea against her...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FrozenG3oX

<3 gimmicks
Lol, I have the same problem with a friend of mine...he always gets me with kung lao with that 112 lox string that i dont know how ti get out of...for some reason sub zero eems to get stuck and when i try to do a move or jump, lao hits me.
At least I always beat him with subby and reptile, but still that string is hard for me...

xQUANTUMx

Twitter: @xxQUANTUM
maybe your timing is off....also if your friend low hat's upclose and you block it, I believe you can full punish with a 2,2 freeze combo of choice.

Haha, I feel the exact same way.

I've never really had any trouble with Kitana (as Sub), I actually thought this was a bad MU for Kitana. (I suppose it's all luck) I usually make the trade. (Fan for Freeze? any day) Well this is online, so I can see why it'd be a bad MU for Sub offline. Just try get the life lead and make her come to you. Then she'll bow down. Sub is really good for controlling the pace of the match, take advantage of that.

Hope this helps.
I don't think you are playing the right Kitana players......or you probably are......