What's new

Help - Looking for some good books to read this summer

Saboteur-6

Filthy Casual
So believe it or not I actually know how to read and even do so leisurely for fun. Problem is that I'm sort of at a loss right now in what to dive into next. I know it's tough to recommend stuff to people without having a sense of their preferences so I can tell you that:

-Horror / Supernatural genre (such as Stephen King)
- Action / Suspense (like Jonathan Maberry's "Joe Ledger" series)
- Weird sociopolitical novels (like Chuck Palahniuk)
- Western / Horror (like Rob DeBorde's "Portlandtown")

DISLIKES:
- Hunger games, Harry Potter, or anything else that's directed at teen readers.
- High Fantasy (Alright maybe not ALL High Fantasy but...I have a hard time reading Tolkien)

That's about it though. I'm pretty open.

juicepouch

blink-182 enthusiast
Have you read everything by stephen king? Because if you haven't read IT, read IT

The Stand
is really good too, so is Under the Dome

The Dark Tower
series is a favorite of mine too, after you get past the first book which is kinda slow.

I'm reading Insomnia right now, that's getting pretty interesting too.

The Tommyknockers has it's moments

Saboteur-6

Filthy Casual
Have you read everything by stephen king? Because if you haven't read IT, read IT

The Stand
is really good too, so is Under the Dome

The Dark Tower
series is a favorite of mine too, after you get past the first book which is kinda slow.
Yeah those are good. I read IT and The Stand forever ago but not Under the Dome.

juicepouch

blink-182 enthusiast
Yeah those are good. I read IT and The Stand forever ago but not Under the Dome.
If you like those 2 I have a feeling you'll like Under the Dome, they've got the same narrative style of flipping perspectives with each chapter

Also King's son writes under the name Joe Hill, I've read 2 of his books: Horns and Heart Shaped Box, both of which I thought were really good and they have the same supernatural sort of feel to them

Goldi

Noob
Have you read Geek Love by Katherine Dunn? It's easily Palanuik weird and creepy but very sweet. About a family who deliberately abused drugs during pregnancy to have freak children for their traveling carnival. There's conjoined twins, an albino dwarf (who narrates the story at a later date) a boy with flippers and one with some kind of telekinesis. Anyway, it's very dark and twisted but they genuinely love each other. Great read, it will mess with you!

Saboteur-6

Filthy Casual
So...

1. Under the Dome (I've read all the others mentioned minus Tommyknockers)
2. Sirens of Titan
3. GeeK Love

Awesome! Keep 'em coming. Downloading as we speak.

Hellbringer

1 2 3 drink
DMT the spirit molecule
Its about the most powerfull psychedelic drug in the world that is highly illegal but is produced in our brain and in most plants and animals.

Reactions: TKB

TKB

Noob
I suggest The Way of the Peaceful Warrior and Journeys of Socrates both by Dan Millman.

The Alchemist is also a very good book.

Maybe some Neil Gaiman? Sandman, American Gods, Anansi Boys, etc.

LaidbackOne

Scrubby nice guy
The Road - Amazing and pretty unique post apo vision
American Psycho - If u didnt read it already u just have to, asap
Running Man - imo one of King's best ones

Fuck it, since im a McCarthy fanboy u should also try No Country for Old Men

Last edited:

Hades

Noob
If you haven't read them yet give the girl with dragon tattoo series a crack by stieg larsson. My uncle suggested it and man is it a brilliant read. It is so gutting that he died before he could write more books :(

Name of the wind was awesome. I can't wait for the third book. I highly recommend this to anyone who enjoys fantasy.
I know right! I've been waiting years for the third book. Thinking of reading the first two books again beacause I forgot everybody all ready lol

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
Stephen Kings new book Doctor Sleep is really good.

Also recommend the Bachman books by Stephen King, The Regulators/Desperation, and Anthem by Ayn Rand. Some of my favorites =)

BTW yes Watchmen is a graphic novel but it's a fantastic read even if you're not into comics.
Anthem is an amazing read.

Skkra

PSN: Skkra
@Saboteur-6, you should absolutely check out Joe Hill (Stephen King's son, like @juicepouch mentioned). There is a spectacular novel called NOS4A2 that I couldn't put down - I couldn't wait to get out of the office every day and get to read another 100 pages.

If you enjoy graphic novels, Joe Hill wrote a series called Locke & Key which is also amazing... some of the best comic writing I've ever read. The series is concluded now, and all of the paperback collections are out so you can pick up the whole series.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
I know you said no high fantasy, but The Sword of Truth series is more down to Earth than any other fantasy book I've read. Start with Wizards First Rule and never look back.