What's new

Help identifying game thread

Goofart

Mr. Sexy Pants
Looking for the name of an old arcade game back in the early to mid 90's. It was this little critter (not sure if my memory is correct but it was a mouse or rabbit resembling pokemon) running around a colorful backdrop throwing bubbles of water on enemies. I think if you held the attack button long enough the ball of water would grow larger so it was similar to bubble bobble however it was an adventure not a puzzle game. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Goofart said:
Looking for the name of an old arcade game back in the early to mid 90's. It was this little critter (not sure if my memory is correct but it was a mouse or rabbit resembling pokemon) running around a colorful backdrop throwing bubbles of water on enemies. I think if you held the attack button long enough the ball of water would grow larger so it was similar to bubble bobble however it was an adventure not a puzzle game. Does this sound familiar to anyone?
Yes it does, it was a great fucking game too. If you're talking about the same game as me. I couldn't find it for years and finally found it like last year.

Spanky's Quest.

I play it all the time on snes9x. It's so much better than it actually is for me because it's the first video game I ever played. Nostalgia FTW!

Goofart

Mr. Sexy Pants
Lol not spanky's quest man but that looks like fun so I'll have to check that out! The character I recall was blue or something and I think in one scene it walks over a tightrope spanning a waterfall. I can't remember if the bubble can turn into a balloon all I remember is that if you charge the bubble long enough, you can throw it kinda like a bowling ball. The graphics although simple, were pretty impressive for an arcade game of its time.

Goofart

Mr. Sexy Pants
it definitely was not bubble bobble lol. I wish I could give a better description but that's all I can really remember. I'm certain it was a japanese import game possibly made by the makers of bubble bobble.

I think the way the character threw the water balloons was similar to snow brothers. the overall colors of the game are along the lines of the second screen shot in vassago's post.

edit: FOUND IT! I think lol

I'm 99% sure it was this game Liquid Kids

AH!! you must be talking about (MIZUBAKU ADVENTURE) Originally released in the early 90's when I wasn't even born yet. but, In 1992 it became a port to the TG-16 and made its final release on the Sega Saturn in 1998. It is a Japanese import that was developed from TAITO the same producers of Bubble Bobble and Bubble Symphony. Extremely popular in Japan, however its success wasn't as big in North America. I went ahead and looked into it and it sounds and seems pretty damn fun. I hope that this is your game bro! this is the closest thing I could find to match the description you gave.

http://www.rvgfanatic.com/7506/416201.html

Goofart

Mr. Sexy Pants
biz> that's it! Pretty fun game for it's time (cheezy but fun lol) Can't believe it took almost 2 decades to find the name :) btw where you been man? you gotta fix your re5 disc!!

wazz> they sure do :)

Alright, looking for another game. It's an old action adventure arcade. Main character was some barbarian with a battle axe I beleive. It was platform 2-d so definitely not goldenaxe (which was also an awesome game). 'Possibly' made by tecmo and came out late 80's early 90s I'm not sure. I remember the cab title art was reddish. First stage there were some underground tunnels/caves sort of like pitfall. Sound familiar?

Goofart said:
Alright, looking for another game. It's an old action adventure arcade. Main character was some barbarian with a battle axe I beleive. It was platform 2-d so definitely not goldenaxe (which was also an awesome game). 'Possibly' made by tecmo and came out late 80's early 90s I'm not sure. I remember the cab title art was reddish. First stage there were some underground tunnels/caves sort of like pitfall. Sound familiar?
The only thing that comes to mind from Tecmo is Rygar, but he had like a yo-yo thing, not a battle axe.

Taito made a game kind of like that called Rastan, maybe it's that?

EDIT: here's a video of Rastan
http://www.youtube.com/v/tav0BgeKOlQ?fs=1&hl=en_US

Goofart

Mr. Sexy Pants
gremloc> lol. Not far off though! I thought it was conan for a while too!

Davey> that's IT man RASTAN! Awesome job thanks! They had it at a local pizzeria and I only got to play a quick couple of games before I had to jet. By the time I came back weeks later they replaced the game with another one. The rygar game's not bad either :)

My memory's a bit foggy but just googled and found a pic of the cab so i don't think my recollection was too far off http://farm1.static.flickr.com/41/86500485_d29d8ab8d3.jpg

scheiss> the controls were kinda sluggish so I don't blame them for the profanity :D I didn't even get past the first stage lol

Goofart said:
gremloc> lol. Not far off though! I thought it was conan for a while too!

Davey> that's IT man RASTAN! Awesome job thanks! They had it at a local pizzeria and I only got to play a quick couple of games before I had to jet. By the time I came back weeks later they replaced the game with another one. The rygar game's not bad either :)

My memory's a bit foggy but just googled and found a pic of the cab so i don't think my recollection was too far off http://farm1.static.flickr.com/41/86500485_d29d8ab8d3.jpg

scheiss> the controls were kinda sluggish so I don't blame them for the profanity :D I didn't even get past the first stage lol
No problem man. Old Taito arcade games were the shit. I played Operation Wolf so much when they had it in the mall near me.

i remember being so stoked when I was little playing Black Tiger, Golden Axe, and Altered Beast. Altered Beast had the most amazing graphics back then! Then when the guy said "Rise from Your Grave" I shit my pants cause I'd never heard a game talk before! Good times

I'm actually pretty excited to see some older style games hitting the PSN with Scott Pilgrim and Castle Crashers. I know they're the same style of gameplay but they're both offer very different gaming experiences. I'd like the see the return of 2d side scrollers like contra/castlevania too. The new R-Type they had on the PS2 was insane. Those games were sooooo farkin hard. I remember wasting quarter after quarter playing Life Force at the 7-11.