What's new

HELP! How do you play Lobo?

Hey guys,

I picked up Lobo on day 1 of his release and spent a fair few hours in practice getting some of his combos down (ive pretty much given up trying to get dbf2 into combos though, i cant get it reliably so i go for less damaging options instead). But playing online or against others is just hell. I cant seem to do anything or get in without being blown up hard.

Ive had a look through the forums and a quick glance on youtube but theres next to no videos about how to play Lobo against people, they are all either combo videos or story mode videos.

So long story short. How do i play this guy?!

Red Reaper

The Hyrax Whisperer
REO might be willing to help.

It would help more if you gave specifics. Like maybe a specified a match up...

He mentioned that you have to rush down and force opponents to block then go for kommand grabs. I haven't downloaded him yet so I haven't been able to test him for myself.

SaJa

FH_FenriR
Hey guys,

I picked up Lobo on day 1 of his release and spent a fair few hours in practice getting some of his combos down (ive pretty much given up trying to get dbf2 into combos though, i cant get it reliably so i go for less damaging options instead). But playing online or against others is just hell. I cant seem to do anything or get in without being blown up hard.

Ive had a look through the forums and a quick glance on youtube but theres next to no videos about how to play Lobo against people, they are all either combo videos or story mode videos.

Look at the front page of TYM..

wow.... how did i miss all those Reo vids?! Thanks SaJa :D and REO ofcourse!

Need to get a Lobo video thread going me thinks ;)

dookieagain

Last Bastion of Arcades
Hey guys,

Frankly to be successful with him you'll need dbf2. Basically you want to bully your opponent at midrange with 2,1 and 3 cancel both into shotgun for some pressure and if you can confirm the 2,1 you can cancel to a db3 to setup a free command grab or 2,1 on their wake up.

If you have nuke shell loaded go for the 50-50 into low shotgun. You can setup a nasty mixup off either 2,1 df1d or 2 df1d. Off the low shotgun you can do a 2,1 db2 for some damage but the optimal combo is b1, dbf2 although that's an execution nightmare.

Don't forget that mid shotgun gives stagger and only has six frame startup it's also great off of d1. If you know you'll hit a d1 cancel it to a db3 for hard knockdown but don't forget that's unsafe. The other option is instant air db3. Also don't forget that you can do b1,2,4 for a safe shotgun load also off a b3 you can do j2 jd3 4 for a safe shotgun load and bait.

You can punish close stuff with 113 dbf2 which is crazy damage and from long range you can whiff punish with bf3. Also if your opponent isn't throwing out zoning you can bulldog in with bf3 mb.

For opponents jumping in on you do 3 bf3 for hard knockdown/ambiguous mixup. Do d2 2,1 db3 for hard knockdown and closer/cross up anti air.

Off the knockdown close you get guaranteed command grab (unless they reversal) which the threat of will less to punishable wake ups which give you 113 dbf2 which can end in another bait with j2 jd3 or another command grab attempt with j3 2,1 db3. If they like to backdash on wake up check them with 2,1 low gunshot or if you have meter 2,1 bf3 mb. Both are safe.

dookieagain

Last Bastion of Arcades
wow.... how did i miss all those Reo vids?! Thanks SaJa :D and REO ofcourse!

Need to get a Lobo video thread going me thinks ;)
Btw although REO has great movement and play with that Lobo he's using some early tactics that are unsafe and will eat a lot of damage from good players in particular the d1,db3 and 2,1 db3 are full combo punished on block and probably should both end in low gunshot.

Db3 is good at midrange as a situational poke but if they like to jump it is a free combo when they predict or jump unexpectedly.

So while he was doing a great job I'd suggest saving db3 a little bit more. He has great spacing with his standing 3 and 2,1 chains though.

yeah there are some aspects of Lobo that are great, and a few small moments tha keep me comign back to him. Giving the finger and getting the win against a gun spamming DS for example lol.

Its a little depressing of just how... BAD Lobo feels.

At the mo it really does seem they are callin him the main man for nothin :-\ but big props to REO for a least giving him a shot and doing a good thread about his problems, even is some on the community seems intent on shouting him down.