What's new

Help: How do I Neutralize fast opponents and Jump punchers?

DanableLector

UPR DanableLector
I play Raiden and I typically struggle against fast opponents that rely on heavy rushes. I cant seem to escape consistently. (especially online) Smart jump punchers that cross me over from time to time give me fits, because of Raidens lack of quick anti air and mediocre upper cut, and teleports will move your directly in front of the jump punch. Sometimes I get stuck in fast strings, and throws too. How do i create some space? I need advice from some of you awesome Raiden players on how to handle very quick characters that rely on rush tactics.

DanableLector

UPR DanableLector
teleport isn't always the answer. Against good players, i get caught by throws before i can teleport on occasion or I get low poked out of the advantage I once had post teleport. (damn Kitana)

DanableLector

UPR DanableLector
It does work more often than not, I just don't want to rely on teleport. It becomes predictable, and contrary to popular belief can be punished.

King

Sig Maker
If you can predict an opponent is about to jump punch you, go for a neutral jump punch. Most of the time, it'll beat their jump-in and give you a free combo. Also, neutral jump punch also works against players who are constantly abusing the jump over cross-up punch.

DanableLector

UPR DanableLector
If you can predict an opponent is about to jump punch you, go for a neutral jump punch. Most of the time, it'll beat their jump-in and give you a free combo. Also, neutral jump punch also works against players who are constantly abusing the jump over cross-up punch.
I rarely have used the ngp, with the exception of during combos. Good stuff. Thanks

JrK

Probably Drunk
This is very good general advice as well. Anytime I predict a cross over (often) you can stuff them.

Raiden's teleport is more punishable than many give it credit for. That said, you (generally) don't want to be throwing it out there at random. The whole idea is to throw it out AS your opponent does something, so that they won't recover from what they were doing in time to respond to it.

I know exactly what he is talking about. You Raiden haters are just to blind to see this is one of his weaknesses. Anyway, you can't actually counter this strategy effectively especially with a NJP because they will simply hit you out of it at times. Believe me I've tried.

So this is what you should try to do as Raiden. If they cross you up constantly, jump left or right. This way when they hit you, you will fly off in an unfamiliar juggle state, get a recovery roll, then you can choose to wake up attack or not.

The second thing you can do is use a well timed d3 or d4. These lower Raiden's hitbox. If the cross punch wiffs you can pretty much open them up with whatever you like. So spam d3 or d4 to try to throw off their jip timing.

3rd and last, Go for a reckless superman. Just throw one out in either or direction you either Hit or miss and get some space. Also if you really wanna be the big Raiden on campus. Pop their ass with an EX electric grab. It has armor so it will suck up the jip and give you a full combo.

The d3 and ex shocker are both good options that weren't mentioned. That said, Raiden's my main so I'm definitely not a hater. I was just pointing out that a lot of Raiden players get too comfortable with the speed of his teleport, and then they can't adapt when they run into someone who knows its limitations. Smart use of the teleport involves knowing how to throw it out at times when it will be safe.

King

Sig Maker
Jump back kick is also a good alternative to NJP. It can also be hit confirmed into superman as well.

DanableLector

UPR DanableLector
I know exactly what he is talking about. You Raiden haters are just to blind to see this is one of his weaknesses. Anyway, you can't actually counter this strategy effectively especially with a NJP because they will simply hit you out of it at times. Believe me I've tried.

So this is what you should try to do as Raiden. If they cross you up constantly, jump left or right. This way when they hit you, you will fly off in an unfamiliar juggle state, get a recovery roll, then you can choose to wake up attack or not.

The second thing you can do is use a well timed d3 or d4. These lower Raiden's hitbox. If the cross punch wiffs you can pretty much open them up with whatever you like. So spam d3 or d4 to try to throw off their jip timing.

3rd and last, Go for a reckless superman. Just throw one out in either or direction you either Hit or miss and get some space. Also if you really wanna be the big Raiden on campus. Pop their ass with an EX electric grab. It has armor so it will suck up the jip and give you a full combo.
Thank you, this was very informative! Im glad you understand my issues with Raiden.. He gets way to much chit for being cheap, but using him at a high level is harder than it seems! I will try out the d3, d4, njp, and the ex electric grab. Thanks again.

DanableLector

UPR DanableLector
And thanks to everyone else, I was hesitant to post much because i was worried i would sound a little noobish, and get ridiculed. Im glad i did though, TYM has the best community. Thanks guys.

Theme

Noob
This thread is good. I'm having some trouble with this as well. Never would have thought about the EX Electric grab :p

DanableLector

UPR DanableLector
Nice sigs by king btw. Ive been a lurker for a little bit and have always respected your work. Id be down to spar a bit if anyone is down, I have a few things Id like to try out. Add me on psn. DanableLector (obviously.)

This thread is good. I'm having some trouble with this as well. Never would have thought about the EX Electric grab :p
Yup, it's good, but you've gotta be sure it's gonna hit, because your opponent has about a week to punish if it's blocked. If it does hit (regular or ex), my BnB follow-up is: f2~Vicinity Blast, dash, 334, superman = 30%. It's pretty easy once you get the timing down, and good damage off an armored anti-air.

DanableLector

UPR DanableLector
Yup, it's good, but you've gotta be sure it's gonna hit, because your opponent has about a week to punish if it's blocked. If it does hit (regular or ex), my BnB follow-up is: f2~Vicinity Blast, dash, 334, superman = 30%. It's pretty easy once you get the timing down, and good damage off an armored anti-air.
Good stuff, thanks. Ive been messing around in practice a bit trying to find a good combo out of electric grab. Its a big part of my game. After a blocked B312 i often will throw in an electric grab on aggressive players, i just haven't gotten a consistent combo to punish them with after the grab. Ill see if i can become accustomed to this one.. If so, they will rue the day! RUE IT!