What's new

Headaches.. Gaming glasses? Solutions?

EntropicByDesign

It's all so very confusing.
I have no idea if this is the right section for this, but we talk about peripherals and other aids here.. So, to the mods, sorry if this isnt the right spot.

Down to business:

I get headaches when I play for any length of time. This is true for almost any game I play, not just fighting games, but competitive games make it much much worse. Its actually becoming a problem because the headache I get usually wont break until I can take a nap or something. It also starts to sour my mood and after a longer set Im way more likely to get super salty and/or pissy towards the people Im playing against.. I dont mean to be a dick but after, say, a two hour set, the last hour of which Ive had a hammer thudding in my head, I start to lose will less and les grace.

I dont wear glasses or have any sight problems (other than whatever is causing this) and its to the point I thought I'd reach out to the community. Specifically, I see these gaming glasses being advertised and Id like to know if anyone has noticed any positive effects from them? not just that though, if you've had issues with headaches (or still do) please post up on what you do to combat them.

Its not super often, but there are times I want to sit down and play some, but just cant risk it because I have to work or something (I work nights) and Im afraid of generating a massive headache that i cant get rid of that follows me to work.

EntropicByDesign

It's all so very confusing.
Speak to an optometrist honestly

I did about a year ago, it was for unrelated issues granted, but I mentioned it and his answer was to look away occasionally and unfocus my eyes, then focus on things at different distances and occasionally change my distance from the monitor. I try to do those things (sometimes admittedly I forget in heated sets) but they don't seem to stop the headaches. My exam itself was fine. *shrug*

Tanno

The Fantasy is the Reality of the Mind
The problem is that you have the game's brightness too high or your eyes see anything too bright. That's the source of your headache. I have glaukoma, so I know the cause. Just go to a dark room and rest your eyes and head for some hours (sleep probably), and then come back. The bright white stuff, like the sun and the white background in the monitor, is what fucks the eyes and bring headaches. Just avoid them.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
I have no idea if this is the right section for this, but we talk about peripherals and other aids here.. So, to the mods, sorry if this isnt the right spot.

Down to business:

I get headaches when I play for any length of time. This is true for almost any game I play, not just fighting games, but competitive games make it much much worse. Its actually becoming a problem because the headache I get usually wont break until I can take a nap or something. It also starts to sour my mood and after a longer set Im way more likely to get super salty and/or pissy towards the people Im playing against.. I dont mean to be a dick but after, say, a two hour set, the last hour of which Ive had a hammer thudding in my head, I start to lose will less and les grace.

I dont wear glasses or have any sight problems (other than whatever is causing this) and its to the point I thought I'd reach out to the community. Specifically, I see these gaming glasses being advertised and Id like to know if anyone has noticed any positive effects from them? not just that though, if you've had issues with headaches (or still do) please post up on what you do to combat them.

Its not super often, but there are times I want to sit down and play some, but just cant risk it because I have to work or something (I work nights) and Im afraid of generating a massive headache that i cant get rid of that follows me to work.
I'll poke you on Steam and we can chat. I'll try to give you a few clues based on your answers to my questions but if it persists, getting your eyes and your blood tested and seeing if you need any medical help is a good idea.

DC4-3

Low tier button masher.
What @Tanno said. It's probably either the brightness setting is way too high, or you play in a poorly lit room. I used to get headaches all the time playing. But once I lowered the brightness and/or turned some lights on around me my headaches stopped popping up and have pretty much stopped all together.

God Confirm

We're all from Earthrealm. If not, cool pic brah.
What @Tanno said. It's probably either the brightness setting is way too high, or you play in a poorly lit room. I used to get headaches all the time playing. But once I lowered the brightness and/or turned some lights on around me my headaches stopped popping up and have pretty much stopped all together.
I too would like to say that this happened to me. However it may be completely unrelated to what you are experiencing OP

Tanno

Try playing less.
Playing more or less isn't the issue here. The more hours you play, the more another health problem will rise. I remember some cases from Korea and Italy for some people who died for playing for more than 1 day without eating or drinking something or sleeping.

Tanno

I too would like to say that this happened to me. However it may be completely unrelated to what you are experiencing OP
No, it's related as a solution, if you want to get rid of the headaches. You can't avoid the many causes that bring headaches. :/

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
IF I may, I know that with my astigmatism I get headaches during games sometimes because of the constant movement on screen and my eyes straining to adjust for hours straight.

Might I recommend taking occasional breaks to cool your eyes down, I find lying in a dark room or watching slow transition screens helps me with my headaches.

Might be an entirely different issue, but that's my personal suggestion

TotteryManx

cr. HP Master
Playing more or less isn't the issue here. The more hours you play, the more another health problem will rise. I remember some cases from Korea and Italy for some people who died for playing for more than 1 day without eating or drinking something or sleeping.
I know of those stories and it was longer than 1 day without eating, drinking, or sleeping. Can't get yourself wrapped up in video games so much you dismiss your health.

Tanno

IF I may, I know that with my astigmatism I get headaches during games sometimes because of the constant movement on screen and my eyes straining to adjust for hours straight.

Might I recommend taking occasional breaks to cool your eyes down, I find lying in a dark room or watching slow transition screens helps me with my headaches.

Might be an entirely different issue, but that's my personal suggestion
I feel you. I have astigmatism only at the bright stuff, like the sun rays at some stuff or the light bulbs, etc. I'm a glaukomatic person, and my eyes are a bit of a mess here. I can read most stuff at a certain distance, because the astigmatism fucks everything up. I don't have the astigmatism on other stuff, fortunately. Mine case is a bit weird.

This suggestion is what I told him earlier.

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
I feel you. I have astigmatism only at the bright stuff, like the sun rays at some stuff or the light bulbs, etc. I'm a glaukomatic person, and my eyes are a bit of a mess here. I can read most stuff at a certain distance, because the astigmatism fucks everything up. I don't have the astigmatism on other stuff, fortunately. Mine case is a bit weird.

This suggestion is what I told him earlier.
Yeah, I know. I figured I'd reinforce it with my own experiences