What's new

Guide - Hat Trick Hat Jus' Drippin in Swag - A guide to everything Hat Trick

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
You can officially change your damages sir!

29% 1-Bar - EX-Hatarang, RC, 44, B321xxSpin, JiKxDK, 21 [Full Screen Convertible]
26% 1-Bar - EX-Hatarang, RC, 1, B32xxSpin, JiKxDK, JiKxDK [Anti-Air Conversion]

Are now 36% and 31% respectively :D

I GOT HANDS

Official Infrared Scorp wid gapless Wi-Fi pressure

29% 1-Bar - EX-Hatarang, RC, 44, B321xxSpin, JiKxDK, 21 [Full Screen Convertible]

Oh wow nice! Updating it now, ignore my question in the other thread

I GOT HANDS

Can you please let me know what F21xxEX-Hatarang, 44, RC, B321xxSpin, JiKxxDK, 21 is?

Thanks btw

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist

FUCK!!!

HAT BLUFFS GOT BUFFED!

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Had to return to the Godlike Guide for more info. Having trouble sometimes after tossing the hat in the neutral though. I'm getting there little by little but its not a simple variation to pick up. I like it.

I GOT HANDS

Had to return to the Godlike Guide for more info. Having trouble sometimes after tossing the hat in the neutral though. I'm getting there little by little but its not a simple variation to pick up. I like it.
Sorry to hear about the Kano bait n switch bro. But yeah what you mentioned is the hardest thing to get the hang of about the character in my personal opinion. Everything else takes judgement but is still pretty straight forward, I mean with a bit of familiarity with the character you'll have no trouble getting hats out all the time, at the end of strings/combos/pressure and in the neutral. The real challenge is, making that Hat worthwhile while its there, and I think it's the least linear aspect of the character. It's something I'm always getting better at slowly myself.

A couple of words on making the traps worthwhile:

Make your opponent fear them. Be erratic with them. Put them out and call them straight back even if you KNOW they will block it. Let them know it's always a threat, and just the effect it can have on their playstyle alone can make your Hat's worthwhile alone. Even if they never get caught by the traps and their only effect is just making them block when they wouldn't otherwise be, abuse this by running in with our amazing pressure or throw. Also, don't get disheartened by getting poked out of your traps. It's all part of the neutral, and its fine, you lose nothing and immediately get your Spin, Overhead and other hat based moves back instantly.

I honestly find myself using EX-HCB the most, for counter poking into serious 112124 pressure, and also for long range punishes, the gravity on it is AMAZING seriously check that shit u can get like 8 jabs off it in the corner or some shit, other wise I use it for the mix-up game a low hat provides in the corner. The one thing I would say is don't expect it to be some super sweet combo device (although it can be, and it's flashy as hell when it is), I just use it more as a space control. On that note, another thing would be the fullscreen control it gives, the "roundtrip" (throwing it out and immediately calling it back) is deceptively safe, and the start-up animation is deceptively similar to our Mid hitting projectile. Just roundtrippin all day gets you meter, and can get your opponent make the wrong decision.

I always pick Lin Kuei Temple too btw. I feel that the leap interactables allow me to position my Hat call back arc really nicely around wherever the opponent may happen to be. The argument could be made that my opponent can use the leap interactables himself to just get right back out of it, however I feel like as Kung Lao, I really don't mind if my opponents want to be making big ass leaps through the air lol, even if they want to leap away from me and get safe fullscreen, this variation really isn't Tempest or Buzzsaw and doesn't mind it at all, it's basically free meter while threatening full combo off ex-projectile which just got buffed to 35% lol, or combo off teleport if they try an unsafe projectile and you will even have a hat set up midscreen to extend the combo, it's so freaking delicious that it's what I live for lol

I'm going to be updating the guide again sometime next week hopefully, got a bit of stuff I want to add

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Sorry to hear about the Kano bait n switch bro. But yeah what you mentioned is the hardest thing to get the hang of about the character in my personal opinion. Everything else takes judgement but is still pretty straight forward, I mean with a bit of familiarity with the character you'll have no trouble getting hats out all the time, at the end of strings/combos/pressure and in the neutral. The real challenge is, making that Hat worthwhile while its there, and I think it's the least linear aspect of the character. It's something I'm always getting better at slowly myself.

A couple of words on making the traps worthwhile:

Make your opponent fear them. Be erratic with them. Put them out and call them straight back even if you KNOW they will block it. Let them know it's always a threat, and just the effect it can have on their playstyle alone can make your Hat's worthwhile alone. Even if they never get caught by the traps and their only effect is just making them block when they wouldn't otherwise be, abuse this by running in with our amazing pressure or throw. Also, don't get disheartened by getting poked out of your traps. It's all part of the neutral, and its fine, you lose nothing and immediately get your Spin, Overhead and other hat based moves back instantly.

I honestly find myself using EX-HCB the most, for counter poking into serious 112124 pressure, and also for long range punishes, the gravity on it is AMAZING seriously check that shit u can get like 8 jabs off it in the corner or some shit, other wise I use it for the mix-up game a low hat provides in the corner. The one thing I would say is don't expect it to be some super sweet combo device (although it can be, and it's flashy as hell when it is), I just use it more as a space control. On that note, another thing would be the fullscreen control it gives, the "roundtrip" (throwing it out and immediately calling it back) is deceptively safe, and the start-up animation is deceptively similar to our Mid hitting projectile. Just roundtrippin all day gets you meter, and can get your opponent make the wrong decision.

I always pick Lin Kuei Temple too btw. I feel that the leap interactables allow me to position my Hat call back arc really nicely around wherever the opponent may happen to be. The argument could be made that my opponent can use the leap interactables himself to just get right back out of it, however I feel like as Kung Lao, I really don't mind if my opponents want to be making big ass leaps through the air lol, even if they want to leap away from me and get safe fullscreen, this variation really isn't Tempest or Buzzsaw and doesn't mind it at all, it's basically free meter while threatening full combo off ex-projectile which just got buffed to 35% lol, or combo off teleport if they try an unsafe projectile and you will even have a hat set up midscreen to extend the combo, it's so freaking delicious that it's what I live for lol

I'm going to be updating the guide again sometime next week hopefully, got a bit of stuff I want to add
Yea you hit it right on the head with the problem I was having. That's exactly what's been going on.

I definitely think maybe I need to be more aggressive with the hat tosses and call backs so I'll try that. Like you said make them respect it more, and I think I need to use EX HCB a little more than I do. I'll start there and a little more Lao spice and see if it helps the neutral. Thanks for the good advice!

And yea, they did my man dirty. I woke up angry because of it lol.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Round Trips and Hat Bluffs are the primary key to master and be creative with Hat Trick, the Roundtrip is how i test behaviours of my opponents before i design my plan of attack, also if i don't have an oki game planned and decide to sit on life lead, you can do 2-3 round trips after any combo into 2,1 string ender midscreen, with the last one hitting meaty on wakeup forcing them to block, which gives you more meter.

Other thing that you guys should try to incorporate in the hat game is the teabag threat, since teleport is DU, and HCB is DD+2 both share the initial input, there is not telling which one you'll go for without guessing, you can actually condition your opponents to do one or another if you're good at recognizing patterns of behavious after you test them with a round trip, and you can react to the opponent's options instead of going in advance, the more complicated the better, because the more doubts you place the more they will become imobile for a while, which should allow Hat Trick to hit them when they decide to do something.

Also, Angola has been calling Hat Trick by "Bluff Lao"

I don't feel like I'm utilizing my meter to the full extent that I could be. Normally I use it on EX spins, when I'm in a tough situation, or full screen hat-a-rangs. The only time I enhance the HCB is in using B22 so I can keep the combo moving and press them in the corner and go ape shit.

I GOT HANDS

I don't feel like I'm utilizing my meter to the full extent that I could be. Normally I use it on EX spins, when I'm in a tough situation, or full screen hat-a-rangs. The only time I enhance the HCB is in using B22 so I can keep the combo moving and press them in the corner and go ape shit.
B22 can be made consistent without meter. It's one of the harder links but I think important to learn, I'm always throwing out B22 its one our better way of opening them up, I'd hate to be spending a bar everytime I want to combo off it.

I use meter now on EX-HCB including pressure strings, F21 hitconfirmed into Hatarang, making reads with Spin/using armor as a risky footsies tool, and breaking gaps with Spin. If you feel like you have too much meter, I just do random shit like jump backs, bait out a projectile then EX-Tele into EX-grab through into at least 40%. Simple version of spending meter would just be, throwing out more Hatarangs after any knockdown - they are 35% each now and are easy to bait with Roundtrips

I GOT HANDS

Ok, I've tidied the shit outta the combo section, cut what I thought was less relevant, and (hopefully) delivered it in a much more intuitive way. The Corner BnB's especially. Added more to the Neutral Game section. Also, edited in a mention that Cassie's Flipkick can punish B22 Hat (thanks Youph). I've also updated since the patch.

BigMacMcLovin

B2s and Birdarangs
Hey Hands, this is a wicked guide man. I've picked up Hat Trick Lao since I saw Eddy's set-up video and am determined to get good with this variation. So far I'm having a difficult time though your guide has definitely helped.

I've mained Cassie for a while now and I think it's turned me into a bit of a mix-up fiend I think. The hardest parts of playing Lao so far for me is initiating pressure, making good use of the hat and trying not be poked out of all my set ups. I guess it's all footsie based stuff I'm having problems with, have you or anyone got any tips to help with developing this side of my game?

GamerBlake90

Blue Blurs for Life!
I don't play Hat Trick Lao, but reading through your guide has provided me with inspiration to make a similar walk through for my Shirai Ryu brethren (I use Ninjutsu, BTW), so I wanted to drop in and give you props. If Hat Trick ever gets my interest, this thread is my first source to refer to.

Keep up the good work.

I GOT HANDS

Hey Hands, this is a wicked guide man. I've picked up Hat Trick Lao since I saw Eddy's set-up video and am determined to get good with this variation. So far I'm having a difficult time though your guide has definitely helped.

I've mained Cassie for a while now and I think it's turned me into a bit of a mix-up fiend I think. The hardest parts of playing Lao so far for me is initiating pressure, making good use of the hat and trying not be poked out of all my set ups. I guess it's all footsie based stuff I'm having problems with, have you or anyone got any tips to help with developing this side of my game?
Yeah stepping away from a good mix-up can be a challenge, took me a little bit to readjust as well. Kung Lao gets in with footsies, he has good normals for doing so. As far as footsies, and getting poked out of pressure go, scroll up to what I said to Salt Shaker a couple of posts up. Remember it all comes with practice. If I was to give a tip, it would be to remember the risk/reward your opponent runs when trying to poke you out of a trap, and punish accordingly - if you block a poke, you generally have the frames to go straight into 112124, you can call the Hat back, and chip your opponent for 7% for 1 bar, while building 90% of a bar in the process. And you think there is another coming (if your opponent is spamming pokes), D1 after the block fully secures you a free 112124 string as well. And If you catch them with the 112124 you get +30% and often the corner. If this or the post to Salt Shaker doesn't cover where you are currently at, let me know and I'll give you whatever good advice I can :)

I don't play Hat Trick Lao, but reading through your guide has provided me with inspiration to make a similar walk through for my Shirai Ryu brethren (I use Ninjutsu, BTW), so I wanted to drop in and give you props. If Hat Trick ever gets my interest, this thread is my first source to refer to.

Keep up the good work.
Thanks a bunch for the support man, be sure to tag in your guide when you make it I'll be sure to read it! Ninjutsu has always interested me and I've played around with him a bit before, very cool to see your guide when it's up :)

BigMacMcLovin

B2s and Birdarangs
Thanks Hands, i'll give it a shot.

It's horrible when learning a new character. Being beaten down by people with poor game plans, I can't help but run straight back to Cassie to exact my revenge. I'm determined to stick with Lao though, Hat Trick is just too swag and to not be able to play it well would be a sin.

llabslb

R1D1_998
Someone mind telling me the most optimal damage I can get off MB Hat callback? I use that for plus frames but when I do hit my opponent with it I kinda make a combo up on the spot.

Any suggestions?

I GOT HANDS

Someone mind telling me the most optimal damage I can get off MB Hat callback? I use that for plus frames but when I do hit my opponent with it I kinda make a combo up on the spot.

Any suggestions?
I do the same. B321 into Spin, JIKDK, 21 will hit the hardest, but I find the same combo started with F21 or just raw spin depending on range are the two most reliable

llabslb

R1D1_998
Hmmmmm, I've been pretty much doing that for a while now (Thank God) I would either confirm with a standing 1 into f21 or go in with a b12 if I'm feeling lazy.