What's new

Has anyone noticed the nerf to NW yet?

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
I tried to give this time no one has spoken up yet. Her is the issue.

NW never had a true lightning trap because every knockdown with any character could get out of it either with armor or any wakeup that had invincibility. Example: ermac had levitate, Shang had eh soul steal etc.

Now with the universal buffs to wakeup attacks and wake ups in general, the eh lightning almost never works. If they stand there...yes it works but they can stand up and even then as they stand sometimes it misses. The added 4 frames on wakeup has neutralized one of NW best and most lethal weapons. No one has tested it more than me and it is a deal breaker. I need and we need to rethink strategies for NW. Please post your thoughts and new strategies that don't rely on eh LT.

Shang Tsung has the same problem from the last patch. After certain knock downs, up skull will miss even if they don't bother to do a wake up attack which is annoying. Meanwhile Jax's Enhanced Ground Pound still OTGs lol...

CJKRattlehead

Two men enter, one man leaves!
Would Ex lightning OTG be too broken? Just saying...

Also feels like NW will be left alone forever not enough people care about him.

I hadn't noticed this, only had one night of offline casuals since the patch. This is depressing. No strategy thoughts yet, but .. a reason to go back to the lab with NW. As if I needed a reason to beat the hell out of a raiden dummy with a green hatchet.

God of thunder huh, we'll see about that.

I wouldn't call it a nerf, though. It's more like a trade. the buff to wake ups, gives nightwolf the best wake up game in mk9 I think. It's more invincibility frames for wake up hatchet, which isn't overly punishable if it's baited out, unless you get crossed up. Full combo partially invincible partially safe wake up attack that can anti air if they dont time the cross up perfectly.. That's what I noticed.

McNasty

Moist.
I noticed it last time I played. It really changes a lot of match ups for the worse. Need to test it more to see if I can come up with an alternate method of doing it. I like dashing in as if im going to apply pressure then doing lightening but that only works once. If anything I could see NW having to delay the trap even more and hoping for empty wake ups in anticipation of the trap.

McNasty

Moist.
I wouldn't call it a nerf, though. It's more like a trade. the buff to wake ups, gives nightwolf the best wake up game in mk9 I think. It's more invincibility frames for wake up hatchet, which isn't overly punishable if it's baited out, unless you get crossed up. Full combo partially invincible partially safe wake up attack that can anti air if they dont time the cross up perfectly.. That's what I noticed.
I'd take guaranteed damage in some of the match ups it worked in over a safe wake up. One that comes to mind in particular is kitana the lightening trap was a great way to keep her down and not throwing fans after a shoulder.

I'd take guaranteed damage in some of the match ups it worked in over a safe wake up. One that comes to mind in particular is kitana the lightening trap was a great way to keep her down and not throwing fans after a shoulder.
I'm far from an experienced Nightwolf. He's my newest pick up. I actually wasn't aware that it was guaranteed damage to some characters. Is shoulder charge an untechable knockdown, or can the trap not be teched out of?

I saw some footage of nightwolf players before I started playing him, so I just kind of did the trap, without really understanding it.

Nevrosis

Keelawutaye!
I noticed this but the 4 frames of inv isn't as much of a problem as the inv wakeup attacks in general.

Before doing EN lightning I just dash towards the opponent first, which takes about 4-5 frames and makes the timing much easier. It also allows a full combo in most situations. Also, alot of opponents will either try an armored wakeup attack with range or block on wakeup if you dash towards em. If they block, your EN Lightning is assured. Dash 1 dash 1 dash 1 dash 122 shoulder and voila.

If you don't want em to wakeup attack you all the time, you gotta make em respect that at the beginning of the matchup by punishing their wakeup attacks. After that, they will be affraid to use em and block allowing you EN Lightning resets. The latest patch did fuck up NW a bit but you can get around that by using a few gimmicks.

It's all about conditioning your opponent to do what you want him to do, rather than what he has to do in order to beat you.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
Tom Brady said:
the trap is still in, just different timing.
Damn straight the timing is different. What is it a 1 frame link? Lol. If they wait till the last frame to do their wakeup attack they can still get out free...go look at the matches of me vs pig at battle and brew. My nightwolf vs his cyber sub.after a shoulder I waited and did eh lightning. It used to work all the time but it didn't work there and it is gone for the most part Tom. How long do you have to wait if this is true?

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
I noticed this but the 4 frames of inv isn't as much of a problem as the inv wakeup attacks in general.

Before doing EN lightning I just dash towards the opponent first, which takes about 4-5 frames and makes the timing much easier. It also allows a full combo in most situations. Also, alot of opponents will either try an armored wakeup attack with range or block on wakeup if you dash towards em. If they block, your EN Lightning is assured. Dash 1 dash 1 dash 1 dash 122 shoulder and voila.

If you don't want em to wakeup attack you all the time, you gotta make em respect that at the beginning of the matchup by punishing their wakeup attacks. After that, they will be affraid to use em and block allowing you EN Lightning resets. The latest patch did fuck up NW a bit but you can get around that by using a few gimmicks.

It's all about conditioning your opponent to do what you want him to do, rather than what he has to do in order to beat you.
I like your post. I really do and it's what I've bee saying since the beginning. But now it is ten times easier to get out of than it was before...the risk to do the move just shot up and that makes me upset.