What's new

Harley Quinn Guide

Laos_boy

Meow Hoes
Hi Guys this is my Harley Quinn Guide, I will be updating this as the game goes on.

some of the frame data I stated were estimates

Harley Quinn is a annoying zoning character that decent space control and an average up close character

BASICS
  • Strings and Normals
    • 1 - a 6 frame normal. This is her punisher,
      • 112 - cancellable hard knockdown, safe on block, has a gap 11_2
    • 2 - 15 frames, -2 on block, an okay stagger
      • 2f3 - a new overhead string, +4 on hit, MINUS 52 ON BLOCK. Would not recommend.
      • 2d3 - a low string, used to mix with her overhead string
      • 2u3 - a launcher. Not much utility over tantrum stance.
    • 3 - 21f
      • 33 - hard knockdown for ambiguous cross ups. And is +5 on block
    • D1 - 7f poke, cancels into tantrum stance
    • D2 - 10f anti air, hits twice to break armor
    • D3 - 13f somewhat low profiles and is unsafe
    • B1 - 19f. longest ranged normal
      • B121 - combo filler and corner carry
    • F1 - 14f high
      • F13 leads to an overhead great hit advantage and grants free play doctor
    • B2 - 13f long ranged low. Arguably her best string
      • B22 does not come out on block, mainly a combo starter
    • F2 - 26f overhead starter
      • F23 - launcher and is +1 on block
      • F22 - shoots gunshots at mid range. Not really useful but I throw it out in neutral sometimes
  • Special Moves
    • Gunshot - 22f, Great high projectile, +2 on block (+9 full screen), +27 on hit, Good recovery
    • Upshots - 24f, good for mid ranged air control. Can be cancelled in gunshot for fake outs.
    • Air shots - 11f air OH projectile good in the mid ranged
  • Tantrum Stance(TS) - long ranged 19f low combo starter, has wake up invincibly, and 5 follow ups.
    • Cartwheel - combo starter, -10 on block. Builds 50% of a bar. 3f gap after TS.
    • Low bomb - Low hitting, Hard Knockdown, 8f gap after TS
    • Gunshots - combo ender, can low profile some pokes, 5-6f gap after TS.
    • Forward Roll - used for mix ups. -17 after TS
    • Back roll - to evade punishes. -55 after TS
  • Play Doctor - Command grab, high hitting, has some wake up frames, restand combo ender
    • MB - add damage over time
  • Cupcakes - overhead Projectile with an arc reaches 3/4 screen. At max ranges its +19-22
    • MB - throws 3 cupcakes, Goes "full screen", +25-35 at max range, Launches.
  • Pop pop - 33f Mid projectile, can be held (3 seconds for an overhead, 4 Seconds for an Unblockable)
    • MB - +25 on block(+63 at max range)
  • Super move
    • 20f Low, good damage, Reaches half screen, +11 on block
    • Plants a bomb behinds her if whiffs, Defends against cross ups.
  • Character power
    • Harley calls her dogs they run across screen
    • 60f of start up
    • The dogs can be overhead if you hold up
    • Up close they are +35 on block
GAMEPLAN
  • Summary
    • Harley has tools for everything but isn't great everything.
      • Her zoning while good doesn't do much damage and she does not cover the top corner of the screen.
      • Her mid range is probably her strongest area do to her airs shots, cupcakes, gunshots and j1.
      • Her up-close game is average. She no longer has many of the plus frames she had in i1 but she has a few tools to make up for it...kind of. She does have a "50/50" combo starter
      • Once she gets the hit she does hit hard. Off her overhead/low start he gets roughly 35-45 percent whether you wanna spend a bar or not. She does build meter quickly.
      • After you hit them she has a decent knockdown game as well. You can end in play doctor for Max damage and the neutral restand. But you also have 2 really good hard knockdowns: 112 and 33. 112 is cancelable and 33 gives a jump in and potential cross up set ups.
  • Weaknesses
    • Harley a few weaknesses
    • One weakness are characters that can dominate from the top corner of the screen
      • Supergirl and superman can really limit her cupcake usage
    • Another weakness are people who control her in the neutral
      • Harley controls neutral pretty well but Deadshot and Supergirl can her keep at bay
    • Waking up used to never be an issue in i1 due to her silly slide TS combo but now jumping is a simple way to stop her
    • Last weakness is being able to dominate in the mid range
      • Harley is strongest at her mid range and when she cant play it she's in trouble
      • Luckily sometimes when she cant play at mid range with a character she's able to zone them out such wonder woman, cat woman, and robin
    • Characters I think dominate her (for now)
      • Deadshot, Supergirl, Fate, and kind of aquaman

• Zoning
    • Many think of Harleys zoning as an annoyance, while it is it’s a great way to build meter and a good way to hold onto a life lead
    • Harley has a few frames traps you have to know when zoning
    • Hitting Gunshot
      • Hitting a gunshot will always grants you a free gun shot check
      • So every time you hit a gunshot you gain good meter
      • If you don’t want the free meter you can go for a dash in or throw MB cupcakes
      • Mid range you can also air shots since they’ll be expecting another gunshot
      • You are at +27 so do what ever
    • Blocked gunshot
      • You'll rarely see some block a gunshot outside of mid range since it’s a high but when they do you're at around +5-9 not much you can do other than set up more zoning
    • MB gunshot
      • MB gunshot is really good for baiting people into moving after a ducked or blocked gunshot
    • Up Shots
      • Similar to MB Gunshot, since you are able to cancel US in GS you can bait movement
    • Stance switch
      • Also good for baiting since you turn your body as if you were gonna shot a gun
    • Cupcakes
      • This is a great zoning tool max range you are very plus
      • You mix up here is gunshot or another cupcake
      • They gonna try to get in so after they block they are going to jump forward, dash, jump back, walk fwd, or block again
      • Gunshot beats dashes, air shots beats ducks, Cupcakes/upshots beats jumps, MB cupcake if they do anything and you're at advantage
      • BE CAREFULL space your cupcakes carefully they are able to dash in and punish you can reaction
    • MB Cupcakes
      • Great space control
      • +35 on block which means if they block this they have to respect a gunshot check
      • You can use this heavy advantage (hit or block) to set up your trait, pop pop
    • Pop Pop
      • Slow project but if MB you are at Absurd amounts of advantage you actually get a free trait call if they block from full screen
      • You can also hold it for a slower moving overhead projectile. Or a slow moving Unblockable. Then you can really start throw shit on the screen
    • Trait
      • Trait is very good for zoning
      • The overhead dogs make your opponent respect you, they cant really jump and the have to stand block all your gunshots
      • You can also use it to get it.
  • Up Close
    • Harley should only play up close if shes in the corner of if shes forced too.
    • Harley does have a few frame traps and set ups
    • 33 is plus 5 so you get a d1, but 3 is 21f
    • 112 TS1 gives you 90% of a bar but 112 has whiffing issues
    • TS is a very gimmicky mix up you can cartwheel, roll forward into like grab , d1, or NJ, or gunshot to make pokes whiff
    • Gunshot is +3 on block and can jail on most of the cast
      • B2,12, f2,f23 all jail in gunshot.
      • Characters that avoid this are: Catwoman, Ivy, Scarecrow
      • B2 gun shot is very good in the corner. I like to loop b2 gunshot because b2 evades some counter pokes. This can be beaten by jumping.
    • B2 in pressure is good especially as a counter poke since you step backto avoid some pokes
    • D1 tantrum stance is the go to up close gimmick
    • Harley does have a "50/50" but the overhead is too slow to use in pressure you can get a f2 check if you hit a gunshot up close.
    • 2 is a good stagger. You can also do 2f3 or 2d3/TS for a 50/50 but 2f3 is -52 so be careful
    • Her grab has ass range and gives little advantage on hit

Set Ups and Gimmicks
  • 33 Cross Up
    • End you combos in 33 you are able to get a safe jump and depending on how you hit the 33 you can either cross up or not. Or just Empty jump to bait wake ups.
  • Meaty Cupcake
    • End in 112 Cupcake and the cupcake will hit meaty and your are left at great advantage and at that mid range she want to be at.
  • 11 trait call is a go to set up they can tech roll though
  • Constant 50/50s
    • In the corner you can go ham with b2 gunshot and Air Shots. Ghetto vortex.
  • Corner Trait Set Ups
    • Do this combo: TS1 f13 112 Trait. The trait will hit kind of meaty. They can wake up with 11f moves and still punish you. With this you can use the Up dog to set up a somewhat hard to block set up with b2. Or use the Up dog to hide your 50/50.
    • This Combo gives you a safe trait call but you lose damage: TS1 (step Back) 112 trait call.
  • Pop Pop Counter poke trick
    • Cancel a normal into mb pop pop you will step back and shoot it will beat their poke. B2 has the best Cancel advantage for this. It beat Wonder Woman's reversal shield bash
  • Ending in Play Doctor (Corner)
    • After play doctor you are neutral Your best options are d1 or instant j1. Grabbing or b2 does work but most of the time they’ll try to jump.
  • Cross up trait with MB roll
    • End in trait then MB roll you'll cross them up, this works corner and midscreen.
2u3 ender
  • 2u3 does quick stand you do what you want with that. They can tech roll.

@TopTierHarley @Kitana Prime @FOREVER EL1TE @STORMS @CrimsonShadow I'm not familiar with the Harley players

The Celebrity

Professional Googler
Great guide man. Some interesting parts in here that I didn't think about. My gameplan typically with her has been forcing people into jumping and trip guarding with walk back B2. Her walk back speed is pretty fast especially at the start of that, so I really enjoy utilizing that for spacing. The only character I've had trouble with spacing against so far is Scarecrow. My main sparring partners play Robin and Canary and both of these matchups felt soooooo nice for Harley. Her B2 outspaces most of Robin's options if done properly.

Up Trait is a great tool for baiting jumps. If you use it enough, people really get in a habit of jumping after you show them some good pressure/mix if they stand block the first few traits of a match. Her JI2 has amazing priority, im surprised you didnt mention this. I actually anti-air Canary, Ivy and Robin all reliably with instant JI2. The priority is seriously ridiculous, it feels like it beats pretty much everything. So I typically do Up dog into JI2 then combo out of it.

Her backdash is also a great wakeup option cause it sits her right into that midscreen area and gets her out of most chars oki plans.

Vigilante24

Beware my power, Red Lantern's Light
So you not gonna mention her broke un-anti airable j2? Okay rip :(

I play Harley too incase you forgot. Tag me plz ;_;

Monox1de

Noob
sooo that 33xxplaydoctor i was talking about is duckable....if you're duck blocking the playdoctor wiffs on tickthrow....should have checked this

Noob
What are you guys hit confirming off of. I don't know if I am having trouble with my timing or if I was just up to late practicing and getting nowhere. But I can't hit confirm her B22 into TS. And 11xxTS is iffy sometimes. I have been trying to do B22 or 11 into TS then use the TS as the hit confirm since you have up until she hits the ground to pick the follow up attack. 1 on hit and I alternate between guns or back roll on block. after a few back rolls they expect it and the guns get them. If they block the guns I sometimes MBroll and get some distance to zone a little.

Also with 11 into trait, cant they NJP that.

The 112xxcupcakes, at what point are you guys cancelling that. I either get no cupcakes or 11 cupcakes.

Can somebody make a combo thread. I feel like I am struggling getting decent combos in this game. MKX had an easier combo system. I feel retarded with this game. My go to has been 11xxTS1, B3, JIP, then typically 112 which seems to vary from about 313 to 380-odd. If I can get the 112xxCupcakes that will go on the end of that as well.
The thing is it is so predictable to do over and over, which is why I need to get better hit confirms down. Or have some different options.

The Celebrity

Professional Googler
What are you guys hit confirming off of. I don't know if I am having trouble with my timing or if I was just up to late practicing and getting nowhere. But I can't hit confirm her B22 into TS. And 11xxTS is iffy sometimes. I have been trying to do B22 or 11 into TS then use the TS as the hit confirm since you have up until she hits the ground to pick the follow up attack. 1 on hit and I alternate between guns or back roll on block. after a few back rolls they expect it and the guns get them. If they block the guns I sometimes MBroll and get some distance to zone a little.

Also with 11 into trait, cant they NJP that.

The 112xxcupcakes, at what point are you guys cancelling that. I either get no cupcakes or 11 cupcakes.

Can somebody make a combo thread. I feel like I am struggling getting decent combos in this game. MKX had an easier combo system. I feel (soap bar in my mouth) with this game. My go to has been 11xxTS1, B3, JIP, then typically 112 which seems to vary from about 313 to 380-odd. If I can get the 112xxCupcakes that will go on the end of that as well.
The thing is it is so predictable to do over and over, which is why I need to get better hit confirms down. Or have some different options.
Learn to hit confirm B22, its pretty easy, and its detrimental to her gameplay. Spacing B2's/controlling the screen with them is easily one of the most important pieces to her. Its pretty easy to hit confirm, only the first shot comes out on hit so when you see the second bullet, just input TS then and piano your combo in knowing it hit. If you get good at knowing when B1 will hit and when it will go on block, thats when you can throw in stuff like B1xxDF1 which jails on most characters for better positioning/meter build and chip. Sometimes you'll be the perfect range though so B22 hits but TS is a frame late and they block it, typically I wait to ensure TS hits then input the 1, otherwise backdash. Her other 2 options out of TS are pretty meh, both are more negative than cartwheel and a low doesnt catch many people since theres no reason to block OH then...

Some simple standard combos for you to get used to:
(midscreen BnB) B22xxDB3 1, B3, JI2, JI1, 12xxDBF1/33/12xxDB3 FF (choose an ender)
(corner BnB simple) B22xxDB1 1, F13, F13, 12xxDBF1

These are typically my go-to, and honestly, some games almost the only ones I need to win besides anti-air converting.

Noob
Learn to hit confirm B22, its pretty easy, and its detrimental to her gameplay. Spacing B2's/controlling the screen with them is easily one of the most important pieces to her. Its pretty easy to hit confirm, only the first shot comes out on hit so when you see the second bullet, just input TS then and piano your combo in knowing it hit. If you get good at knowing when B1 will hit and when it will go on block, thats when you can throw in stuff like B1xxDF1 which jails on most characters for better positioning/meter build and chip. Sometimes you'll be the perfect range though so B22 hits but TS is a frame late and they block it, typically I wait to ensure TS hits then input the 1, otherwise backdash. Her other 2 options out of TS are pretty meh, both are more negative than cartwheel and a low doesnt catch many people since theres no reason to block OH then...

Some simple standard combos for you to get used to:
(midscreen BnB) B22xxDB3 1, B3, JI2, JI1, 12xxDBF1/33/12xxDB3 FF (choose an ender)
(corner BnB simple) B22xxDB1 1, F13, F13, 12xxDBF1

These are typically my go-to, and honestly, some games almost the only ones I need to win besides anti-air converting.

Thanks man. I will spend some time with those combos, I like that B22 move. Just never even thought about trying to build a combo off of it due to the slow start up. Would like to get her little dance move spin she does in a combo somewhere. It looks to cool to not be a part of everything.

Are you just using the Jump In portion of your combos to convert your anti airs.

I posted in this in the general discussion thread as well. 33xxplaydoctor is a tick throw and also lands on hit. 2b3 is tick throw but does not land on hit. Seems like these could be useful.
b12, PD and 112, PD hits on block as well (and also probably duckable)

Last edited:

Reauxbot

You think you bad? You aint bad.
Are people still writing Harley off as bad?
I got bodied by a fucking Harley half an hour ago.
I didn't expect to get hit by an overhead that slow.

Evil Canadian

G O K U
Premium Supporter
Are people still writing Harley off as bad?
I got bodied by a fucking Harley half an hour ago.
I didn't expect to get hit by an overhead that slow.
hey it could be a 60 frame overhead and you can still get hit, happens to the best of us.

But I am learning harley right now and I think shes great. Insane meterless damage everywhere, solid zoning tools, traits fantastic, and you can get downright belligerent with b3 as it even takes people out of the air(on top of being plus on block).

Laos_boy

Meow Hoes
People do underestimate her f2.
26f is still a threat. If they start fuzzying B2/f2 you also have a 20f low and a 11f OH projectile.

Play doctor tick throws are useless, sorry. There's no reason to be standing during her strings.

Ending combos in 2f3 grab sucks. At least play doctor leaves them standing.

2f3 by it's self is okay. The higher you hit the f3 the more advantage you have.

Overall I think she's good. You have to have great neutral to really dominate with her.

Second Saint

A man with too many names.
Here's how you hitconfirm b22 on block. You input b22~tantrum. That's it. It option selects for you.

I really need to mix more as Harley when I'm in. I'm way too used to just pressuring and going for frame traps with her. Which she has still, but they're unreliable against a lot of the cast.

If I can just get those f23~db1 hit confirms down midscreen, I'll be pretty happy. Have I just not put enough time into it, or is f23 really hard to hitconfirm without silly slide or instant j2 reaching?