What's new

Strategy - Commando Guys... I need serious help.

Commando kano is the only character I use. I refuse to use anyone else because I believe the mastery of one fighter is superior then getting pretty good with several. My issue is that I'm having trouble fighting against certain characters. Ermac, because of his awesome air play and tele, and many of his moves are unparryable, inferno scorpion because his mix ups are just crazy and unpredictable, and his air play is also astounding, and kung lao because he just seems to be a better rush down character than commando. You'd think it'd be easy to counter these guys because everyone uses them but no. Tips?

KIllaByte

PSN: playakid700. Local name: BFGC MonkeyBizness
Playing only one variation limits what you can get out of this game. It's a flawed ideology that prevents you from ptoentially having a neasier time, and also prevents you from getting your sixty dollars worth for the game. Try Cybernetic Kano, is what I'd say. N oreason not to have variety and keep your opponents on their toes.
Also be wary that even Commando Kano can control the pace with his high knife, and ex knife is plus nine on block and hits mid. Doing this off of your amazing down 4 combined with command grabbing off of down 4 makes opponents wonder if they should block or not, it's great.
Also, keep your opponents standing for your combos. Ending your combo with the opponent standing and getting hit by knife for the last hit guarantees a command grab landing and beating their normals, grab unless the opponent jumps away, in which case you can full combo anti air off of your awesome B1. your punish should be 112 ex ball down down cancel 112 knife then it's command grab mixup time.
you can catch armor with counters, too, if they try to armor out.

Playing only one variation limits what you can get out of this game. It's a flawed ideology that prevents you from ptoentially having a neasier time, and also prevents you from getting your sixty dollars worth for the game. Try Cybernetic Kano, is what I'd say. N oreason not to have variety and keep your opponents on their toes.
Also be wary that even Commando Kano can control the pace with his high knife, and ex knife is plus nine on block and hits mid. Doing this off of your amazing down 4 combined with command grabbing off of down 4 makes opponents wonder if they should block or not, it's great.
Also, keep your opponents standing for your combos. Ending your combo with the opponent standing and getting hit by knife for the last hit guarantees a command grab landing and beating their normals, grab unless the opponent jumps away, in which case you can full combo anti air off of your awesome B1. your punish should be 112 ex ball down down cancel 112 knife then it's command grab mixup time.
you can catch armor with counters, too, if they try to armor out.
Don't get me wrong. I pick other characters. It's just that, when I'm playing ranked or just down right playing to win, I always play commando. And I'll take your strategies to heart. Thanks for the help! I MAY try kanos other variations but not to any far extent like I have taken commando. I just dig the style that's all.

FlappyDaniel

Snappin' spines all day e'ry day.
Commando isn't really a rush down character first of all. he's a strict footsies and paces the match, tending to be rather defensive oriented IMO. He has some pressure but you have to be really aware of how your opponent is reacting to your buttons and stagger accordingly. One round I'll be right at neutral with them all game and pressuring them with 2,D4,2,D4,B1,D3,D3,Grab or whatever such pressure sequence you wanna do, then the other round I'll try my best to not even get close to them (Knives,2F4 to space, Max range D4s, B1s on jump ins) until they make me, then I punish them for it. Plus of course always look to be getting tick throws.

also, I was like you on launch, I was going to REFUSE to use his other variations, but you'll come around. I still use commando mainly, but will use Cyber vs FA jacqui or GM Subzero. And it's good to have CT in your pocket as well. Don't let your own stubbornness limit you.

Last edited:

KIllaByte

PSN: playakid700. Local name: BFGC MonkeyBizness
Don't get me wrong. I pick other characters. It's just that, when I'm playing ranked or just down right playing to win, I always play commando. And I'll take your strategies to heart. Thanks for the help! I MAY try kanos other variations but not to any far extent like I have taken commando. I just dig the style that's all.
I really like your attitude and positive response and reflections on criticism. You'll go far with that learning spirit, Alex.

GAV

Resolution through knowledge and resolve.
I play just about everyone, so I'm of the opposite mindset - but I did play Commando Kano for a long stretch - and I enjoyed great success with him. Here's what I found...

His Knife Throw isn't consistently effective from full screen, but it is great mid screen. Just don't spam it. You need to keep its threat active, but knowing when NOT to throw it is the key. Do the motion to do it, but when it comes time to hit the button - decide on whether to throw it or not. You can just hit nothing - or, if they jump in, you can hit 1 instead and catch them out of the air with his command choke. Not throwing it will drive them nuts, especially if they rely on teleporting to deal with zoning. Scorpion and Ermac's teleports both hit mid, so - if you just wait - you can get a free counter. Takeda's can be a little trickier, since the EX hits low - but if you just watch for the flash and react by hitting 3 instead of 1, you can make him pay too - since it beats out the armor. Now, someone might think that you can't wait because the buttons need to be right after the inputs, but that just isn't the case with Kano - and I think this is by design - and its also one of the overlooked factors that make him really good. Try this out and you will see that this little part of his meta-game actually works.

This meta is very good and helps you deal with shenanigans, but he's still best played aggressively. His Cannonball won't beat players that are patient, so you must speed things up a little. Don't be afraid to go in and attack. His jump in is great, you can combo or force mix-ups off of it, and you can crush any retreat with a well-timed Cannonball.

Now, I doubt my Commando Kano reached the level of depth yours has - but I was very strong at winning exchanges with him - so this stuff should be easy to implement.

Last edited:

FlappyDaniel

Snappin' spines all day e'ry day.
Knife throw range is anything beyond jump in distance. Don't throw it if they're in range to jump over and hit you. If they're slightly past that range and jump you get a B1

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest
Try Cybernetic for a week. Really put time into it. I respect a character loyalist, but you can remain a loyalist and still use all 3 variations. Cutthroat is solid, as well. However, that mid-hitting Knife Toss in Cybernetic is a life saver and it really might be one of the answers for you. Also, I don't think Kano has his B+1 in Commando, either....which doesn't help.

GAV

Resolution through knowledge and resolve.
His B2 in Cyber is where its at anyway.

{edit}

Last edited: