What's new

Tech Guess who? Zatanna Smoke Mirrors Setup and more goodies!

Hey guys,

I just wanted to share with you a setup I have been using for a while which involves her Smoke Mirrors. It must be used after an ex trance, preferably after a combo and not after a naked EX trance. There is no need to whiff a normal, simply pick your clone, levitate over them, and make them guess who you are. You may whiff a normal if you wish, but that leaves less time to position yourself over them.

If you pick the clone in front of her as I did the very first setup in the video, the camera moves along with you, and it's a little bit easy to tell it's her. I really mess around with the middle clone, which allows you to either cross them up or stay on the same side, or the one in the back which the camera actually makes it seem you are the middle one at time. Basically, it's a guessing game which Zatanna is real, if you think you have the right one, is she going to cross me up??

I don't know if you guys will like it but I've been having success, if you have any questions or comments please feel free to post. (Thanks to RiBBz22 for recording)

Also, at the end of the Smoke Mirrors video, I show that Zatanna can get out of trait if she links a teleport after a normal. I do not know if this is known or not, but if the situation arises, and you face a character that trait isn't really ideal.... then you can link a back teleport, retreat, and get out of trait. Just a little cool feature.

There are two ways to "Ex Fireball Trap". One is after an ex trance, in which if you are full screen or close to full screen, there is no need to whiff a normal for the intractable and/or ex fireball to do full damage. If you are mid to close screen, whiff a normal and proceed to trap. The other method is to not use ex trance, and throw an ex fireball out there. This method is more risky as they can hit you out, avoid it, etc

As seen in the first video, the first portions involve ex trance, and I'm not sure if a trance is able to combo after the opponent is in the air. This method has little to no room for escape. Escape may be possible but the odds are way, way in your favor.
The second part of the video involves it with no ex trance. Of course he can spam guns, etc, but I simply show the options of the trap itself without the trance. Deathstroke can jump over it, but you can throw the intractable a little bit before he jumps over the fireball, and he will avoid the fireball, but the intractable will still hit him. A little bit of mind games if you wish to go the tranceless route.

The video with Killer Frost basically just shows that some characters have a bad enough jump ark to which they can only block it or take the fireball. She cannot slide, air dash, jump over, etc. Again, without the ex trance version, kf may ice spike, throw daggers etc if she has enough time before the fireball hits.

The video with Zod shows characters that CAN avoid the fireball, but grants Zatanna the ability to play mindgames with these characters. As shown, he can avoid and punish, or she can bait and punish his planned escape. At the end of the video, it shows the safer, ex trance route if you want a better shot at taking 1/4 of his life down.

So hope you guys enjoy it :)
It's neat for 25% unbreakable damage after an ex trance too ;)

deg222
AK Pig Of The Hut
DomChalant

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

CommonNick

Europe, PSN: "CommonNick"
trance (MB)
smoke mirrors (left or right)
jump
UU3
Teleport behind if you chose the right image, and infront if you chose the left image
J.3 (really safe on block, and if it hits, you got a reset or a combo with 1 MB)

I have no idea if it's possible, but if it is, it works from any distance. (and it's 50/50 too)

deg222

Best Zatanna that uses Aquaman
Nice tech, I never noticed that the camera follows her if you choose the front mirage.

Nice tech, I never noticed that the camera follows her if you choose the front mirage.
Yeah, for some reason it does, so it's kind of a dead giveaway.
It does the same for the back image, but it positions the camera nicely to make it very confusing if she's the middle or back image while levitating above them.

deg222

Best Zatanna that uses Aquaman
To me, that fireball setup seems only good if you can't reach the interactable in time before puppet master wears off... a good example of this is that rhomba in Halls of Justice. But if you can toss the interactable in time, I don't see a reason to burn the extra bar for the fireball. It could be good to use in the neutral game for some matchups like Flash or other characters that have a bad jump arc like you showed.

To me, that fireball setup seems only good if you can't reach the interactable in time before puppet master wears off... a good example of this is that rhomba in Halls of Justice. But if you can toss the interactable in time, I don't see a reason to burn the extra bar for the fireball. It could be good to use in the neutral game for some matchups like Flash or other characters that have a bad jump arc like you showed.
True, I guess I got too caught up in trying to combo off of it lol but they were just meant to show all possible variations

Last edited:

Sami

Noob
Is there any difference to doing the Smoke and Mirrors setup to just doing a plain old ambigious cross-up after trance? When done correctly both the Smoke and Mirrors setup and an ambigious cross-up result in the opponent basically guessing which side you'll hit on. Not sure if the Smoke and Mirrors/levitate leads to any further advantages than a true ambiguous jump-in.

Other than looking cool of course :D

Is there any difference to doing the Smoke and Mirrors setup to just doing a plain old ambigious cross-up after trance? When done correctly both the Smoke and Mirrors setup and an ambigious cross-up result in the opponent basically guessing which side you'll hit on. Not sure if the Smoke and Mirrors/levitate leads to any further advantages than a true ambiguous jump-in.

Other than looking cool of course :D
I find it easier to confirm which way you want it to hit. You get extra meter from the levitate. You also can use j2, which has more advantage than j1.

RM Truth

Unintentional Tier Whore Follow me @TruthRM
Is is possible to do a standard bnb into b3, ex trance, teleport, smoke and mirrors setup?

Is is possible to do a standard bnb into b3, ex trance, teleport, smoke and mirrors setup?
Not really. The problem with that is you lose frame via teleport. Then, you can't pick the front image. If you pick the middle image, he will be walking on you and not go through you, giving it away. If you pick the back image, he will walk through the middle image. Not only that, it really messes up the levitation position.
You're better off dashing in jump levi if ur kinda far.
If not, just walk (he will be walking to you too) and just set your position above

xXstealthflameXx

Finding a Main
Only reason I'm not going to use this is because there are always going to be those people holding up and then my combo gets fucked because I was a millisecond late.