What's new

GRRR @ Nerves...my very own Tournament Variation

So as most of yall know, theres a TYM tourney going on right now which I WAS a part of (hehe). And, as the title suggests, nerves were a big impact on my behalf.
I did what I felt like I needed to do pre-tourney...same as every day really...worked my movements, situational punishes, pressures, and spacing...typical things that any fgc player would drill...no big deal.
I felt good going in...so much so that I neglected any warm up matches or anything of the sort..I even drew a match-up I was 100% comfortable with!..though to be fair I was a bit pressed for time due to my work schedule and vet issues with my pup, but I digress....Round 1 Match 1 literally EVERYTHING goes out the window. I mean, Im throwing junk out that Ive NEVER done, repeatedly throwing out easily punishable junk over and over (which was punished.repeatedly lol!), sweaty shakey hands, dropping combos, missing inputs..the whole 11 yards...I even caught myself focusing in on MY OWN character on screen a few times...which again, something I NEVER do!
Now Im no stranger to competetive play...Ive played and won tourneys in umk3, mk9, as well as pretty much every madden that has come out in the 3d eras and although its been around a decade since Ive competed in any FGC tourney (which is admittedly WAY more high strung than Madden...by far!) Ive found through playing long sets with good players, as well as the 0-2 comebacks (before they switched to ft2) and those matches where you just want to beat the shit outta the opponent for whatever reason, that I had a decent bead on not only coping with the stress, but almost harnessing it to the point of a higher level of focus.
Yesterday this was NOT the case.
So my natural reaction after the salt settled was to go into KL and make sure I didnt just POP the brain cells associated with MK knowledge or something...and wouldnt you know it? Back to normal...even though I was frustrated about practically knocking myself out of competition and a bit nervous about jumping back into KL without a bit of dojo time...everything was as it should be...the focus was back.
So my question to you guys is this:
I know we all get the nerves...but what do YOU do to counter-act/harness them to benefit you or negate them altogether? Pre-match, mid-match, tied up round to win, whatever?
How do YOU keep from being ME yesterday?

It's a very trained skill as well. While all the good intentions and preparations are good, there is nothing like the real thing. You're experienced but being out of action for years is a problem.

Enter more tournaments as best as you can. Even if it's a local with 5 players do it. If you can't, play short regular sets and keep track. Or do money matches, whatever you can do to simulate risk of loss.

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
I feel you, same happened to me. I told myself if I had any chance of winning against The Goblin's Shao Kahn I would need to zone him out, play patiently and I knew which strings to block. But no, I was so stressed out I would try to poke out of strings I knew I couldn't poke out of and I played impatiently. It was my first tourney so I'm fine with it, but I feel like as Harold said, entering more will help us with that a lot.

Also on short sets, I don't mean random Kombat league. Get some practice partners that you value and do this. It is a much better means to track progress for yourself and partner. I like the accessibility of online ranked games, but small talent pools and a match making system that is far behind other standards makes it tough for quality control of your games.

Also on short sets, I don't mean random Kombat league. Get some practice partners that you value and do this. It is a much better means to track progress for yourself and partner. I like the accessibility of online ranked games, but small talent pools and a match making system that is far behind other standards makes it tough for quality control of your games.
this is VERY true! false confidence leads to bad habits for sure!

I've been thinking the same about my match-up later today.

My mindset is basically: If you win, you win, and if you lose, then you learn from it and improve for the next time around.
yea im the same way BUT i ALWAYS want to do my very best at the very least...I mean, Im not really super bummed out or discouraged or anything like that...my nerves were just kinda "in my face" noticeable for the first time in a loooong time.
Only reason Im really bringing this stuff up is because I plan on getting back into the tourney scene with MK11 and wanna try to knock all this bullshit out asap so I can get back to practicing proper

It's funny first tournament with this game I played hands were shaking and I was winning. Gotta control the adrenaline a bit more. Cuz I pretty much skipped ij2 life.

Dreamcatcher

EFL Founder
I know there's another thread for this but I'm going to reply on this one anyway.

The young me would have too big of an ego to say I don't get nervous... which just isn't true. Everyone, whether it be a little bit or a lot, gets nerves sometimes.

With this game, I still sometimes get nerves even in casuals until I get warmed up. This is especially the case playing against high level players or people I don't know. (one of the reasons why I don't play ranked/KL even though I did fine) I also checked into IJ games and just didn't like them, so I came out of hiding when MK11 was released and haven't been this hooked since UMK3 was reborn in mid 2000's online. It can take a while to get back into the groove of things and stay confident.

What's been the trick for me is doing what you can to stay the most comfortable in your environment while playing. I have smoked cigarettes off an on for a decade. I recently quit (again) but a common trick for smokers is to chew something like sunflower seeds, gum, whatever. So if you're playing me and you hear a wrapper opening, it's probably a lifesaver. Lol

So for example, if someone liked a certain kind of music that calms them then it might make sense to have that lightly turned up in the background while they play. Just little stuff like that. Your favorite drink every time you play, whatever that thing may be that keeps you comfortable.

Don't worry man, we're all human and shit happens. We will probably start doing these tourneys regularly I hope, so you can get your revenge! :)

Last edited:
I know there's another thread for this but I'm going to reply on this one anyway.

The young me would have too big of an ego to say I don't get nervous... which just isn't true. Everyone, whether it be a little bit or a lot, gets nerves sometimes.

With this game, I still sometimes get nerves even in casuals until I get warmed up. This is especially the case playing against high level players or people I don't know. (one of the reasons why I don't play ranked/KL even though I did fine) I also checked into IJ games and just didn't like them, so I came out of hiding when MK11 was released and haven't been this hooked since UMK3 was rebord mid 2000's online. It can take a while to get back into the groove of things and stay confident.

What's been the trick for me is doing what you can to stay the most comfortable in your environment while playing. I have smoked cigarettes off an on for a decade. I recently quit (again) but a common trick for smokers is to chew something like sunflower seeds, gum, whatever. So if you're playing me and you hear a wrapper opening, it's probably a lifesaver. Lol

So for example, if someone liked a certain kind of music that calms them then it might make sense to have that lightly turned up in the background while they play. Just little stuff like that. Your favorite drink every time you play, whatever that thing may be that keeps you comfortable.

Don't worry man, we're all human and shit happens. We will probably start doing these tourneys regularly I hope, so you can get your revenge! :)
very awesome man! thx!!