What's new

Match-up Discussion Green Lantern, this character is just....

one main problem im not sure about right now is his back 1 string into overhead or launcher

you can interrupt overhead after sweep with d1 but how are you suppose to know it will not be a launcher. d1 does not interrupt that string, is it punishable?

no jumping allowed on this character lol, MB cupcakes blows up air turbine though

also i feel like once this characters gets a health lead even when fight is at full screen, its just an uphill battle. once you start approaching you just get grabbed, that move is so brainless lol

i dont know maybe i have had enough of lanterns bs lol, any tips/match videos?

WayoftheFist

Cold day in hell...
one main problem im not sure about right now is his back 1 string into overhead or launcher

you can interrupt overhead after sweep with d1 but how are you suppose to know it will not be a launcher. d1 does not interrupt that string, is it punishable?

no jumping allowed on this character lol, MB cupcakes blows up air turbine though

also i feel like once this characters gets a health lead even when fight is at full screen, its just an uphill battle. once you start approaching you just get grabbed, that move is so brainless lol

i dont know maybe i have had enough of lanterns bs lol, any tips/match videos?
You can backdash out of both B12 (overhead) and B13(launcher). The only way he could punish your backdash (that I know of) is by following the B1 with Lanterns might. That's a risky read on his part because he eats a full combo if he's wrong.

This matchup has been covered extensively in other threads. That being said, b12 or b13 can both be blocked low then high, then punish. If you punish blocked lantern's might consistently they will think twice about using it. I honestly dont feel that GL is a problem for harley if you approach the matchup correctly.

You seem to have an idea of what to do, just make a friend of a good GL and get to work on learning with long sets.

what if they dont cancel into anything? are the overhead/launcher safe on block?

i know about blocking low and then high all the time so you dont get hit with overhead

i try to punish with d1 and they just block. it feels like he is plus or zero on block?

If you got him blocking then youre doing fine lol. Just keep the pressure on =p

He blocks d1 u could try NJ2 to blow up his counter poke. Theres plenty of options man just dont be discouraged by getting randomed out by him.

Fergus

Like Father, Like Daughter
I've played this matchup extensively and I feel it's really hard for Harley, she can't deal with air missile well, she doesn't have enough time to fire off gun shots and block as the missile comes down to knock GL down so the trades in fireball game is pretty bad. You're going to trade a lot and it's not going to be in your favour. Missile is too fast to try and counter him with cupcakes/pop pop. One way of dealing with air missile is doing TS and then TS~3 to catch him doing an air missile then SS in to close gap. You can also try b+3/f+3 MB if you're a bit closer.

Your main objective is to try and corner GL and keep him there, he'll push himself back by doing air missile. You can punish his lift move with tantrum stance (dropkick) into 1 within it's range, and b2,2 when you're closer.

His normals are better than hers, b1,3 is insane and he can linger outside Harley's b2,2 and whiff punish with it, Harley also can't jump in on him as his lift is a really good AA which can go into a combo. His gatling gun tears through her b3 MB armour so you have to be wary throwing this out as a poke.

b1,3 is safe on block, he's like -4 so you can initiate your pressure on him (it's a really stupid move though), you can super through both gaps, b1,3 and b1,2 but you cannot interrupt with a d1.

Watch out for his overhead when he is upclose, it's like 18f (?) but it has little range so it's a thing you should be looking out if he's up close, he's going to mix it up with f+3 or b1,3 for a high/low.

This matchup I feel is like 7-3 for GL, because Harley can't keep up with him in the fireball war so she needs to go in and even then, her upclose game is pretty bad. One saving grace for Harley in this matchup is that GL can't punish Harleys TS~1 due to no 6f normals.

redeyes

Button Masher
b13 b12
ok block low then high
or block low then back dash

harley wins at full screen.

a full screen jumping rocket will not hit you unless you walk forward too much.

punish his fall with a gunshot.

MB cupcakes blow up the air rocket thingy to move.

stay full screen make him come to you.

b1 is -12 rmember that if he staggers it for an odd reason.

NEVER JUMP VS GL

Fergus

But then GL can just mix up the air missile with ground missile to catch you full screen, you're gonna have to go to him, he doesn't have to come to you. GL doesn't have to do the air missile from fullscreen anyway. He's gonna do it where it's going to hit you and even if you back off to make it miss, you're cornering yourself and you really don't want to be cornered by GL as his f+3/b1 mixup is terrifying.

redeyes

Button Masher
But then GL can just mix up the air missile with ground missile to catch you full screen, you're gonna have to go to him, he doesn't have to come to you. GL doesn't have to do the air missile from fullscreen anyway. He's gonna do it where it's going to hit you and even if you back off to make it miss, you're cornering yourself and you really don't want to be cornered by GL as his f+3/b1 mixup is terrifying.
duck OR that are normal if he MBs it he wont get much unless ur not full screen.

if your not full screen away from GL and he tries to air missle u SS under it.

Fergus

If you try to jump after him slightly after he jumps, you're gonna get smacked by air missile if he jumps back, and remember, he doesn't even have to do air missile, he can just empty jump back and then lift your attempt to jump over it or even turbine. Not really doable to jump at the same time he does on reaction.

Missile is too fast to try and counter it with cupcakes from what I find, same with pop pop.

The GL I played with always does it at the optimal ranges anyway. Harley definitely has to go in.

Fergus

Another thing to add is that you're gonna be crouch blocking a lot vs him in fear of his b1, so it makes approaching him quite hard, so it forces you to respect him a bit more in the fireball game.

EDIT: Even another thing, whilst GL doesn't get a punish on cartwheel, he gets a free mixup up close since he's left at +6, b1 can't be interrupted and f+3 will dodge d1 but can get floated by 1 but it'll lose to f+3 MB.

Naw u dont jump within his lift range unless youre already point blank.

Im talking about full screen. Even instant air turbine wont hit you. You can duck missile and start
Inputting a gunshot as it passes over your head. Follow up with another one usually interrupts the next missile. If youre Close enough to be contacted by air rocket you can dash under.

Green lantern is only a real threat with trait active so his gattling gun goes heellla far. Try not to base your GL impression off just 1 guy

Fergus

Well I have only played one good GL so far but I'll broaden my experience with others, matchup definitely is against her anyway.

Just my 2 cents.

this match-up feels like 9-1 for green lantern, he basically can just duck and you lose

you can't zone him, you can't approach him, his fucking light is a god damn half screen anti-air (seriously NRS....did you just not want harley to be good?), he even outdamages you in almost any situation

i know this is mostly online experience but i'm trying to see anyway that harley has an advantage in the match-up but she just doesn't, his strings are all pretty safe and cause some serious frame traps with his light

he basically has everything to deal with all of harley's shenanigans

Well I have only played one good GL so far but I'll broaden my experience with others, matchup definitely is against her anyway.

Just my 2 cents.
Oh definitely :/

This is absolutely not a 9-1 tho. If he ducks gunshots all day then keep doing it and youre in! Also he has no frame traps, and if u think the lift is coming after his string punish it.

Air gunshot has the exact same range as lift so use that to beat it.

Honestly you should only get hit by lift if you JI2 from too far, empty jumped, it was in a combo, or was just a raaaandom ass unsafe lift.

You can zone green lantern when his trait is not active. Maybe not in lag but thats not whats important

Perdition

Your friendly neighborhood cynic
I play Superman, and Latern gives me fits as a matchup, could only imagine how bad he wrecks Harley. That lift is by far my least favorite special in the game.

Fergus

Nah GL's damage is actually pretty low, but he gets his damage a lot easier than Harley.

Nah GL's damage is actually pretty low, but he gets his damage a lot easier than Harley.
This is true. His damage also costs meter. Dont forget to factor in meter management throughout the course of a match.

At full screen he cant touch harley. You either need to be here or and i know this is weird to say but within his lift range. Your jump guns own his lift. If he jump rocket then SS.

The gattling gun in trait is the only real threat to harley.

Im serious when i say this: you should only get hit by a lift if it was a lucky ass random yolo little bullshit lift lol

so what if it costs meter...meter gain in this game is really fast and for whatever reason, you gain more meter when you take damage than when you giveth

Fergus

Can't he bait the gunshots then lift punish her?

EDIT: Got someone to test as I've no access for like a week, within j2 range, air gunshots on block can be lifted by him as a punish.