What's new

Green Lantern counter-pick?

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
There are very few matchups giving me trouble right now as GL. The hardest ones though, are guys that can zone you out from fullscreen. I'm starting to learn though; get in on people quickly, at fullscreen block a projectile and then rocket trade with the next, using the stagger to dash in a bit, etc.

I haven't had so much of a problem vs. GLs with other characters, but you have to be very careful when you fight him. No naked jumps, block a lot, make him commit to something and punish. As someone mentioned, any sort of standard wakeup from him seems to fall prey to a meaty j3 -- so I abuse that after a knockdown. As Lex if I'm in lift range, I try to scout the lift, block, and Gravity Pull him for a combo.

Also it's important to play footsises with his b1; staying just out of range of it, backdashing or walking backward when you anticipate it, and blowing him up on whiff.

But it's all easier said then done. GL is dangerous in the hands of someone with good fundamentals.

Dizzy

False Information Police Officer
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
I admit i'm not an expert on GL (but who is 2 weeks in? :p) but I would think Deathstroke likely beats him.

The reason I give for this, is Deathstroke essentially beats him anywhere on the screen. GL's mobility is bad. His walk speed is bad, his dash is not that good, and his jump is really floaty. DS just totally outzones him from full to half screen, hes totally outclassed here. Once GL works his way into sweep distance or so, his F3 is good all purpose move to prevent GL from doing what he wants (goes airborne pretty quick and makes b1 whiff).

JRosa21

Noob
I admit i'm not an expert on GL (but who is 2 weeks in? :p) but I would think Deathstroke likely beats him.

The reason I give for this, is Deathstroke essentially beats him anywhere on the screen. GL's mobility is bad. His walk speed is bad, his dash is not that good, and his jump is really floaty. DS just totally outzones him from full to half screen, hes totally outclassed here. Once GL works his way into sweep distance or so, his F3 is good all purpose move to prevent GL from doing what he wants (goes airborne pretty quick and makes b1 whiff).
eh, lantern can close the gap with his air turbine and make a read on guns. Deathstroke is pretty annoying in the matchup I won't lie, but midrange lantern beats stroke. long goes to stroke, close goes to whoever is smarter lol

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
JRosa21 The air turbine is super slow -- every time someone tries that, I end up punishing it. You can see it coming from a mile away.

Yukiyano

Noob
Long story short, is there someone or some setup that ruins Green Lantern?

I don't really have a main right now, and if there is a hard counter for GL, then I'll pick that guy up just cause.

That's how much he's ruined my enjoyment of this game. In the space of a week it's gone from being something I was seriously considering supporting my local scene for, to now being here posting my last ditch effort to ever play this in a realm beyond my sofa.

Cheers.
As you can tell, I am a GL player. Deathstroke, Doomsday, a good Nightwing, a good Flash, a Good Catwoman. Really, there are a lot of options. GL can do almost nothing against a spamming Deathstroke, so if you are into that crap, do so.

Yukiyano

Noob
eh, lantern can close the gap with his air turbine and make a read on guns. Deathstroke is pretty annoying in the matchup I won't lie, but midrange lantern beats stroke. long goes to stroke, close goes to whoever is smarter lol
No he can't. you do the turbine, a shot will knock you back down. GL can do crap about Deathstroke, it's a fact.

JRosa21

Noob
No he can't. you do the turbine, a shot will knock you back down. GL can do crap about Deathstroke, it's a fact.
if he's already in guns animation the only thing he can do is ex into the overhead. idk, I haven't lost to a spamming deathstroke yet, probably cause it's very predictable at this point. not saying I've ever faced a good deathstroke but...most of their gameplan is the same. I keep saying this game is about reads, I don't think deathstroke beats GL clean. maybe 6-4 def a tough matchup, but I wouldn't call it free as say solomon vs stroke. also, yellow lantern is the best character in the game.

Yukiyano

Noob
Then clearly all you have faced are stupid Deathstrokes. I haven't beaten a single spammer one. I found an actual good Deathstroke that was not a spammer, and we beat each other quite a few times (Was on KOTH, everyone quitted cause it was either him or me winning). But save for that experience, I can't do crap about the spammers. Everything I try to get close in get's demolished. EVERYTHING. The turbine get's stopped by the shots, I don't know why you say it doesn't. Besides, the shots are faster than it, meaning they will get to you while the turbine starts up. It does not work, period.

JRosa21

Noob
Then clearly all you have faced are stupid Deathstrokes. I haven't beaten a single spammer one. I found an actual good Deathstroke that was not a spammer, and we beat each other quite a few times (Was on KOTH, everyone quitted cause it was either him or me winning). But save for that experience, I can't do crap about the spammers. Everything I try to get close in get's demolished. EVERYTHING. The turbine get's stopped by the shots, I don't know why you say it doesn't. Besides, the shots are faster than it, meaning they will get to you while the turbine starts up. It does not work, period.
oh you're talking about online? that is unbeatable lol. I only have exp in tournament play against him I try to stay away from the online for obvious reasons...

JRosa21

Noob
and idk I don't get hit by shots if I do turbine high enough, if I do it low I do get hit. I also try to space with air missile, just to get into mid range and punish guns with a force lift. When I play better deathstrokes I'll give you more info about how I deal with it.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
and idk I don't get hit by shots if I do turbine high enough, if I do it low I do get hit. I also try to space with air missile, just to get into mid range and punish guns with a force lift. When I play better deathstrokes I'll give you more info about how I deal with it.
It's not so much the shots, as if I see you go up and start the turbine, I can just wait for you to come down and punish you.

What if your GL counterpick have problems against [insert char]? Counterpicking is the worst way to deal with a matchup. Hit the lab and try to punish the lanterns might from certain distances.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
If you air turbine, you're guaranteed over low shots and assault rifle misses too. Only air shot reliably knocks you out the air.

Scrubby Deathstrokes are usually beaten by just blocking then dashing in, or using air rocket to get them to try air shots more, then blocking the sword flip they'll try. After that, they're lost unless they really are dead set on this lol.

JRosa21

Noob
If you air turbine, you're guaranteed over low shots and assault rifle misses too. Only air shot reliably knocks you out the air.

Scrubby Deathstrokes are usually beaten by just blocking then dashing in, or using air rocket to get them to try air shots more, then blocking the sword flip they'll try. After that, they're lost unless they really are dead set on this lol.
I didn't know that deathstrokes flippy sword things weren't overheads until Reo told me...that helps too.

SyXX

Yolo is Power
Since I hate mirrors, i always pick up Superman when someone else picks GL. He can really zone well and has better normals within the ranges that you will be fighting. I usually do a wild mix of zoning and up close game to keep them guessing. Being a Green Lantern main though, i know what ranges I'm safe to zone from. Don't float too close or you'll eat a combo. The matchup is probably 5-5 but I know GL so well that I can really play to his weeknesses.

As far as other chars, it is kind of hard to pin down at this point since the chars that seem to beat me up I likely just dont know the matchup. Catwoman and Cyborg come to mind like that.

GLs main weaknesses are low mobility and he isnt very good at full screen. I would say any char that has good mobility and doesnt risk getting outzoned will do well against GL. His wakeup game isn't good but that is putting bets that the GL isnt going to be able to keep you out, and cant block well.

Deathstroke wouldnt be my first choice for counter pick. It isn't terribly difficult to get into lift range and at this point DS doesn't have many safe options.

I'd call bull on you giving up after a week.
You'd be right. It was more like half a week. I picked up my NinDS and started a new The World Ends With You playthrough for a laugh and have felt absolutely no need to pick up a pad.

Have you taken any time at all to see how GL is seeing you up? or why/how you struggle to get in? do you fail to punish stuff? There's practice mode with the ability to tell the AI what to do so you can practice certain setups and scenarios.

Or instead you can lose a couple times, not learn anything, and quit. that's what most of the top players do.

your choice.
I'm getting seen up by people spamming the move that scoops you for doing *anything* other than hold back. I'm struggling to get in because of said spam. If I don't react to a whiffed grab instantly they can block the punish because that move has hilariously fast cooldown.

And I did lose a dozen or so times, learnt nothing and quit. I'm not going to grind through something other people have ruined for me to squeek out maybe a little bit of fun when I have piles of games and comics to fill my time up. Lifes too short to garner self-worth from fighting games and be a 'top player'.

Choice made, feel great. I started enjoying gaming and the arcade again when I stopped trying to enjoy a game that I genuinely like that other people and the game itself don't seem to want me enjoying.

Sailorblade

Mains mostly hotties
Anyone that can play a pretty good fullscreen game can give him go. Get him to come to you and punish accordingly.

JaredL

Aww shit <REDACTED DUE TO FEELINGS> its Shapzam
To quote the scariest man in Injustice:

Hal Jordan: So what now?
Sinestro: Now, I own your ass.

Sinestros zoning can outdo Hal pretty easily.