What's new

Strategy Green Arrow vs. Flash - How Do We Overcome Cheap Flash Tactics?

(WARNING: Long Post but detailed and concise enough to punctuate what I am trying to elaborate on. While reading keep in mind, this is not a rant about the Flash. I am new to the fighting genre and seeking ways to overcome strategies that my low level skill cannot as of yet. Approach with that in mind.)

I played against this one Flash player who does the same move over & over and sadly I lose.
Whats even worse is that I ran into this same guy during the first couple of days when the game released. We were in a survival room and even then he was using the same cheap tactic and winning. Lol. He does not evolve. I just cannot respect players like this.

What drives me nuts to no end is that I have evolved, I do spend hours in practice mode, my skill has gotten better, I have been winning more games while noticing my increments of improvement and feeling overall more confident with my muscle memory and speed of input regarding reaction time during matches. Yet, after all these hours of practice mode sessions and this guy, he stays the same and I still cannot beat him?!?

Before I go on, let me clarify, I do not mind losing this is not a sore loser syndrome. I have faced incredibly skilled players who play amazing and wipe the floor with me, players that I can tell by how they play, they embrace the art of the game and master it. These are the players who motivate me to spend time in practice mode.

I feel bad because I think I just suck more than him and he literally sucks, so if I suck more than him and I am spending time in practice... well, that's just scary thought.

This is what he does:
His move is basically setting you up for a whole string of light punches while you are in the air after he manages to corner you. Yes, it's simple some of you might be saying right now - just don't get cornered. It's not that easy.

I don't get cornered, it just happens naturally during the ebb & flow of the match. Necessarily it's not really being cornered either. I might be using the wrong word. It's more or less when you are close to the corner when he takes advantage.

This guy is keen with the understanding that once you are even remotely near to the corner he knows what to do. Hypothetically, let's say you are within proximity of the corner during your engagement. He does one of the 3 moves: (I do not know they're names just calling them how I see them)

1: Jump up back to the ground stomp knocks you into air.

2: Dash toward you knocks you into air.

3: While couching on the ground he dashes upward into the sky and rams you (with what looks like) his shoulder knocks you into air.

Once he lands any of those, while you are still in the air, he juggles you with what seems a "slow" flurry of light punches - they are not rapidly fast. After, when you are about to land he does some kind of ground kick that for some reason I cannot block and sends you back in the air and he starts the slow light punch flurry again while you are in the air.

After this, "in his mind" he is basically ahead in life, meter, and so he just dashes backwards to the other side while you are still on the floor recovering and waits for you to approach him. And recycles the fight. If you don't approach he will just let time die out.

I am not going to lie I tried spamming him with fire arrows to get him out of that comfort "waiting" zone. He just sits there and blocks from that huge distance.

If I try to jump up and send a arrow to his head while he is crouching he will stand up and block it. Same thing with ice/shock arrows. If I approach him to attack he just blocks and counters with his own attack, backs off and repeats. It's as if I have no way to break in. The only time he goes all in is if he has/sees that corner proximity.

Cheap tactic indeed, hurts more when I clearly see that there is a way to overcome it - but for some reason I am not able to do it.

Has anybody else fought against this cheap Flash tactic? Or any other Flash cheap tactic?

If so, please share how to beat it.

Shadow316

You inspire no fear.
Those first few paragraphs pretty much sum up my life on this game so far. I get beat by scrubs, but I beat/play well against players that know what they're doing. I spend hours trying to level up, but these people use crappy tactics and win, it's dumb. But I don't want to get started on the dumb things this game has.

The Flash player I fought did D3 into F2,1, which is a low (sweep) into overhead (F2,1). I couldn't do anything at the time, even though I was predicting it. I know I could have dashed back or blocked and punished blah blah, but just couldn't.

I played Flash a little and he struggles against zoners from my experience, I personally think you should zone him out with burning arrows or keep him about midscreen. You don't want to get caught in his mixups. I could be completely wrong though.

It's hard trying to grind match ups when you don't have many people to play, and the players in the lobby only seem to care about winning the match rather than learning anything.

Shadow316

You inspire no fear.
You probably should have just posted in the match-up discussion thread saying you have problems with Flash, but whatever :)

I did go in there but I didn't see a area for flash only questions. It just looked like one big thread, I did not want to sift through different posts trying to find the answer to my dilemma.

Then again I am on my iPhone so I could be seeing something totally different from a pc user.

Onilordasmodeus

My GT: UncappedWheel82
I'm really having a hard time understanding what he is doing that is hard to beat; anyway though, this is my basic strat for Flash players.

First off, you have to know your wakeup options against flash (all characters really) at both mid screen and in the corner, and dont be afraid to push block when needed. A good defense is always the first step on the path to victory. At mid screen, I use GA's db2 to get away as it has invinciblity on wakeup and creates space; it is the most consistent wakeup option that he has IMO but is it strictly for the mid screen. In the corner db2 isn't a viable wakeup option because you can get hit out of it everytime; in cases where I am cornered, I use GA's slide or bow spin as they also have invicibility and work well. I can't lie though, for the most part, when in the corner, I generally try to rely on push blocks and interactibles to create space and get out of the corner as I suck at corner wakeups and get hit by meaties more often then not. Once you have general defensive strats down, in order to get good offeense you have to train your opponent to respect your arrows.

Against flash, the first offensive thing I do is to get him to respect my trait; not fire arrows, just the regular ones. For zoning I stick to the regular ones or the electric since they are the fastest. In doing that, Flash can't dash in with his stance, nor can he use his torpedo move to close the gap. Though reg and electric arrows don't grant as much damage as fire damage, they have stopping power, and you can rapid fire them to keep space. Note, i mostly do this from full to 2/3's screen away or so, as (I think) he can punish arrows with his torpedo half screen or closer. Once he is trained though, you can through them out when he is closer just to check him. Once he respects my arrows, then I try to use my spacing as best as I can to get damage opportunities and keep him off guard.

From about a 1/3 to half screen away, GA can use his slide to close the gap (a low hit) and get a little damage, or I use his dash to get in and use b2, ice arrow (overhead to freeze) for good mid screen damage combo setup. GA's dash in general is one of the best in the game, and it looks and moves alot like his slide move does (in fact I think it is faster), so using this set up as a basic way to get mid screen damage (20-35%) works well for me. As such, ice arrows have become a mainstay of my game as I get most of my mid screen and corner damage off them. After every landed string, I usually load an ice arrow just so I can keep my damage options open/loaded.

If/when the game shifts to the corner (I've got him in the corner), I just try to overwhelm with mixups and 30-40% corner bnbs.

- Ji, 2,2,3,df2--b2,3,ice arrow--nj, 2,3,3,db2--load ice arrow
- f2,d1,3--b1,3,ice arrow--nj,2,3,3,db2--load ice arrow
- b2,3,low ice arrow--(go into whatever)

If he push blocks you, just be patient and work your way back in.

If you find youself in the corner, just remember your options, and read him as best you can. I can't stress enough how important is it to have your bnbs down pat, and knowing when and how to use push block and armor moves are. Getting good, consistent damage is key to winning, and absorbing damage with armor moves/cancels to punish rush down and wakeups is key to getting the life lead and holding it.

ALSO, DON'T BE AFRAID TO THROW...REPEATEDLY.

P.S. Flash's string deliver multiple hits very rapidly, so with that in mind use armor sparringly. Armor is pretty effective against wake ups though. If they are using the flash uppercut move a lot, scout it and punish with an armored f3, or block and punish, or use db2 just to get away, or just keep your distance at wake up and keep the spacing to mix him up.

Hope this helps a bit!

I'm really having a hard time understanding what he is doing that is hard to beat; anyway though, this is my basic strat for Flash players.

First off, you have to know your wakeup options against flash (all characters really) at both mid screen and in the corner, and dont be afraid to push block when needed. A good defense is always the first step on the path to victory. At mid screen, I use GA's db2 to get away as it has invinciblity on wakeup and creates space; it is the most consistent wakeup option that he has IMO but is it strictly for the mid screen. In the corner db2 isn't a viable wakeup option because you can get hit out of it everytime; in cases where I am cornered, I use GA's slide or bow spin as they also have invicibility and work well. I can't lie though, for the most part, when in the corner, I generally try to rely on push blocks and interactibles to create space and get out of the corner as I suck at corner wakeups and get hit by meaties more often then not. Once you have general defensive strats down, in order to get good offeense you have to train your opponent to respect your arrows.

Against flash, the first offensive thing I do is to get him to respect my trait; not fire arrows, just the regular ones. For zoning I stick to the regular ones or the electric since they are the fastest. In doing that, Flash can't dash in with his stance, nor can he use his torpedo move to close the gap. Though reg and electric arrows don't grant as much damage as fire damage, they have stopping power, and you can rapid fire them to keep space. Note, i mostly do this from full to 2/3's screen away or so, as (I think) he can punish arrows with his torpedo half screen or closer. Once he is trained though, you can through them out when he is closer just to check him. Once he respects my arrows, then I try to use my spacing as best as I can to get damage opportunities and keep him off guard.

From about a 1/3 to half screen away, GA can use his slide to close the gap (a low hit) and get a little damage, or I use his dash to get in and use b2, ice arrow (overhead to freeze) for good mid screen damage combo setup. GA's dash in general is one of the best in the game, and it looks and moves alot like his slide move does (in fact I think it is faster), so using this set up as a basic way to get mid screen damage (20-35%) works well for me. As such, ice arrows have become a mainstay of my game as I get most of my mid screen and corner damage off them. After every landed string, I usually load an ice arrow just so I can keep my damage options open/loaded.

If/when the game shifts to the corner (I've got him in the corner), I just try to overwhelm with mixups and 30-40% corner bnbs.

If you find youself in the corner, just remember your options, and read him as best you can. I can't stress enough how important is it to have your bnbs down pat, and knowing when and how to use push block and armor moves are. Getting good, consistent damage is key to winning, and absorbing damage with armor moves/cancels to punish rush down and wakeups is key to getting the life lead and holding it.

P.S. Flash's string deliver multiple hits very rapidly, so with that in mind use armor sparringly. Armor is pretty effective against wake ups though. If they are using the flash uppercut move a lot, scout it and punish with an armored f3, or block and punish, or use db2 just to get away, or just keep your distance at wake up and keep the spacing to mix him up.

Hope this helps a bit!
Beautiful write up sir.
You are having a hard time understanding because you are an advanced player such things are beneath you :)
Just look at this wonderful write up of yours. Thanks again.

Onilordasmodeus

@Onilordasmodeus - Good write up, will definitely help.

When you said to use overhead F3, what do you personally follow that with?
I really haven't found any real damage off the f3, but f3, 2,2,df1, or f3,1,1,df1, gets 20%+ witch is decent and is more damage than 0. If you've got an ice arrow loaded, after f3, 1,1, ice arrow, or 2,2, ice arrow, can set up decent damage too.

Another thing I didn't touch on is his super. After watching Chirs G. and various combo vids, as well as the GA combo thread, I've learned different ways to set up reset combos into his super., which if done right can land 50-60%+ in a single stroke.

Any combo ended with d2, after the d2, if you time the super right as/before he hits the ground, the super with hit them as they rise. The only down side to this set up is they can wake up out of this set up. Another set up is if you end a ground combo with 1,1,1,super, and this is unescapable totally. There are probably other ways to reset into super, but those are the most consistent for me, and, well, they are awesome!

First off, you have to know your wakeup options against flash (all characters really) at both mid screen and in the corner, and dont be afraid to push block when needed. A good defense is always the first step on the path to victory.
Can push block be used as a wake up?

At mid screen, I use GA's db2 to get away as it has invinciblity on wakeup and creates space; it is the most consistent wakeup option that he has IMO but is it strictly for the mid screen.
I did not know db2 had a invincibility window. Also, I have to start using wake ups and rolls - I never do unfortunately. This is something I need to find a way to incorporate into my practice sessions.

Any ideas on how I can incorporate this into my practice sessions?

In the corner db2 isn't a viable wakeup option because you can get hit out of it everytime; in cases where I am cornered, I use GA's slide or bow spin as they also have invicibility and work well. I can't lie though, for the most part, when in the corner, I generally try to rely on push blocks and interactibles to create space and get out of the corner as I suck at corner wakeups and get hit by meaties more often then not.
This is a lot of knowledge dropped here Onilordasmodeus. You know your stuff. I never knew these corner wakeup mechanics actually work! Especially now that I understand they all have small invincibility windows. Does a wake up use meter?

Once you have general defensive strats down, in order to get good offeense you have to train your opponent to respect your arrows.
So true, I have to practice my arrows more. This does put tension as I have noticed from other great GA players.

Very enlightening paragraph here, one I will take to heart not only against flash but I also foresee this approach on other characters as well - Batman has been a headache as of late.

I see. I am always mixing it up close. (Rookie fighter genre approach) I need to break this bad habit. Mid range should start being my new focus of approach. This quote clarifies how intense GA can be from this perimeter.

Thank you this is definitely a weak area of mine I need to strengthen. I literally have no idea how to use mixup's yet online. They are hard to pull off for some reason. Offline practice mode I do them with ease.

Ok, so when you say Armored, I am guessing you mean a move that I can do without it's frames/motion being interrupted/stopped by my opponent hitting me?

Also, when you say throw - do you mean literally grab them and throw them? or is this another fighting term that my noobie self has not learned yet?

Hope this helps a bit!
A bit? Hell of an understatement. I asked for advice and received so much more in return.

This is my go to GA bible effective immediately! I will keep reading through this until I subconsciously have the wisdom to pull off these concepts at moments notice when battling online. You most definitely came through with the GA mathematics.

Onilordasmodeus

Beautiful write up sir.
You are having a hard time understanding because you are an advanced player such things are beneath you :)
Just look at this wonderful write up of yours. Thanks again.
Thanks! If you couldn't tell, FGs are my genre of choice, but even so, I too still have a lot to learn. The strats I put above may great now, but this game is constantly evolving, and so the strats wont/might not always be viable. Keep in mind too that smart players/opponents can adapt to even the most sound strats on the fly, so being flexible and adaptive is just as important as having a set gameplan. Take what I say, and what others say, as what they are, suggestions, and adapt those "suggestions" into your own style in a way that makes you comfortable, and hopefully your opponent uncomfortable.

Above all else though, play to win.

If you can overwhelm your opponent, do it! Don't give them an inch; don't let them breath. It will make you better at the pressure game, and make you more confident at getting in there. Contrary to that though, if you can't get in, play smart and lame if need be. It will teach you how to get people off of you, and how to keep them off of you. The other sides of those cases though, is they can/will make your opponent stronger, as they can/will learn (if they are open to it) what to do, and/or not to do in order to counter you making them and you(potentially) stronger players.

Another thing to the TC...erase the term"cheap" from your vocabulary as it can hold you back. (I may be preaching to the chior but...) Cheap isn't "cheap" in an FG, it's smart, and often times smart is the only/best path to take. The best way to beat a smart player, is to be smarter. :D

Every tactic has a potential anti-tactic.

Shadow316

You inspire no fear.
Onilordasmodeus - Yeah, there's not much damage from F3, but you can set up for an Ice Arrow into 50/50 I guess. GA's super is so good. I believe it hits after blocked 1,1,1 or on hit. It can be done after the D2 setup you mentioned. And also from a D1, Burning Arrow. If you can land 1,1,3, Ice Arrow and have super ready, you'll get about 75%.

I need to use B2 and F2,D1 more in my game. I also need to work on spacing and dashing.

Thanks for the tips, man !http://testyourmight.com/members/onilordasmodeus.3139/

Onilordasmodeus

@tactfulgamer

1) Yes you can PB on wake up. But know there are ways for your opponent to get around PB with meter burn (MB) cancels. Not many people have it down yet online, including myself, but it is always good to be aware.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQ4gt9nKBgQ

2) To practice wake-ups go into practice mode and use the record function to record some strings (like flash's f2,1,3 string), and and just practice over and over again until you can get out of the pressure consistently both in the corner and in the mid screen. Like I said before though, corner wake ups are tougher (for me anyway), especially online, but practice it regardless i say.

3) Wake ups do not use meter, but they do require precise timing. Here is a thread about Injustice's wake ups: http://testyourmight.com/threads/injustice-wakeup-system-help.30845/ It will give you some more tips.

4) Spacing is key. Just doing jump ins, or simply running in head first is a recipe for a lose at higher levels of play. Mix ups and knowing your options from where ever you are on the screen are always the smartest ways to go.

Another tip: After shooting an arrow, granted you aren't trading hits with your opponent, you get a free dash in for a mix or to just close the gap. Arrow, dash, arrow, dash, etc, is a great way to get close, but it has risks too. Try it out though!

5) When I say throw, I mean throw.

Throwing someone on wake up is a great way to catch someone off guard who is trying to block and is expecting a pressure attack. Throws can't be blocked, and I don't think they can be ducked either. They have to be teched/escaped, armored, or a woken up on to be beaten. The reason I mentioned this is because throws, repeated throws, have been associated with "cheap" tactics, but they aren't cheap as there are plenty ways...to many ways...to get out of them, but people just don't use them as much as they should.

Me personally, I throw when ever I get the chance or when ever it is neccessary; like when someone is just blocking everything. I'm still working on getting the timing and reaction time down on teching throws consistently, so defending against them is still a work in progress. It is funny (to me anyway) when I throw a guy 2 or 3 times in under 8 seconds (because the let me mind you), then they go to throw me and I tech/deny them. Throws are legit damage, believe it.

6) Glad I can help! Really I am. That's what TYM is all about isn't it? :cool:

Hmm, no dislike button, what a shame.

We're all still learning this game, be nice.
no disrespect to anyone was meant, i just find it a little funny... flash has the least amount of bs in this game. plus those t-rex arms. plus the fact that it seems his moves, even his specials, have 0 priority against even regular moves... wanna know how to beat the fastest man alive? plain old walk away.

Solid

The Longbow Hunter.
I really haven't found any real damage off the f3, but f3, 2,2,df1, or f3,1,1,df1, gets 20%+ witch is decent and is more damage than 0. If you've got an ice arrow loaded, after f3, 1,1, ice arrow, or 2,2, ice arrow, can set up decent damage too.

Another thing I didn't touch on is his super. After watching Chirs G. and various combo vids, as well as the GA combo thread, I've learned different ways to set up reset combos into his super., which if done right can land 50-60%+ in a single stroke.

Any combo ended with d2, after the d2, if you time the super right as/before he hits the ground, the super with hit them as they rise. The only down side to this set up is they can wake up out of this set up. Another set up is if you end a ground combo with 1,1,1,super, and this is unescapable totally. There are probably other ways to reset into super, but those are the most consistent for me, and, well, they are awesome!
111, super is escapable by a backdash. Have to practice hard but it is doable.

Red Reaper

The Hyrax Whisperer
His move is basically setting you up for a whole string of light punches while you are in the air after he manages to corner you. Yes, it's simple some of you might be saying right now - just don't get cornered. It's not that easy.
Damn, characters have korner kombos in this game?? Ridiculous! ! !

1: Jump up back to the ground stomp knocks you into air.
It's not a jump attack, he has to input it from the ground. That may or may not help you. Also if you block it (it's an overhead), he's at -1 if he didn't use meter +11 if he did but it has pushback so you kan walk back or time a back dash if you're not in the korner against any of his follow ups.

2: Dash toward you knocks you into air.
Dashes are punishable in this game. You kan learn to punish him for it.

3: While couching on the ground he dashes upward into the sky and rams you (with what looks like) his shoulder knocks you into air.
It's a really unsafe move and only kombos with spacing. It's insanely fast but if they do it, they risk more than they potentially gain. Block and punish it...

Once he lands any of those, while you are still in the air, he juggles you with what seems a "slow" flurry of light punches - they are not rapidly fast. After, when you are about to land he does some kind of ground kick that for some reason I cannot block and sends you back in the air and he starts the slow light punch flurry again while you are in the air."
The first only kombos if he uses meter and the third only kombos from a certain spacing, plus it's fully punishable and he doesn't get a normal kombo from it, even when spaced.

After this, "in his mind" he is basically ahead in life, meter, and so he just dashes backwards to the other side while you are still on the floor recovering and waits for you to approach him. And recycles the fight. If you don't approach he will just let time die out.
Gaining the lifelead and being patient is a part of fighting games. You shouldn't take risks if you don't have to.

I am not going to lie I tried spamming him with fire arrows to get him out of that comfort "waiting" zone. He just sits there and blocks from that huge distance.
Arrow's Zoning doesn't work too well on someone with a life lead, it's mostly used to kounter zone or against people trying hard to get in. Because you run out of arrows, they kan wait it out and then approach, which forces you to make those reads.

If I try to jump up and send a arrow to his head while he is crouching he will stand up and block it. Same thing with ice/shock arrows. If I approach him to attack he just blocks and counters with his own attack, backs off and repeats. It's as if I have no way to break in. The only time he goes all in is if he has/sees that corner proximity.
It looks like he knows how to block.. Interesting.

Cheap tactic indeed, hurts more when I clearly see that there is a way to overcome it - but for some reason I am not able to do it.

Has anybody else fought against this cheap Flash tactic? Or any other Flash cheap tactic?

If so, please share how to beat it.
I use Flash and Green Arrow as my main characters (plus some tier whoring), so I understand the match up from both perspectives. Haven't had much trouble but I kan see it being more in Flash's favor, though not for the reasons you're komplaining about.

The tactics you mentioned aren't really cheap. Especially when you kompare it to the rest of the kast.

no disrespect to anyone was meant, i just find it a little funny... flash has the least amount of bs in this game. plus those t-rex arms. plus the fact that it seems his moves, even his specials, have 0 priority against even regular moves... wanna know how to beat the fastest man alive? plain old walk away.
Fair enough. Just know, this is a discussion about people using what I called at the time cheap tactics.
No one here is bitching/saying Flash is over/under powered or any such matters. This plainly a discussion on certain approaches people take and how to over come them.

Whenever you see a thread by me regarding such matters - it's mostly me trying to find out how to over come such nuances. I am new to the genre. And "seriously typing this with a smile on my face" no disrespect back at you, but you really didn't make a contribution here. So that said, get your skilled fighting, badmamajama 1,1,3 to the face shot throwing forumnist in here and add some pointers! :)

Damn, characters have korner kombos in this game?? Ridiculous! ! !
Thanks for adding your input. Just know, I am still learning and I will be asking more of what may seem to you baby questions down the road - so get ready :) I am very new to the fighting genre, 1 month new. What may seem child's play to you is college calculus to me.

Though, I think I will go with Onilordasmodeus techniques and concepts. He posted a nice detailed manuscript, very indepth. I feel the way he presented his guidelines will help me develop into a better player.

Red Reaper

The Hyrax Whisperer
Thanks for adding your input. Just know, I am still learning and I will be asking more of what may seem to you baby questions down the road - so get ready :) I am very new to the fighting genre, 1 month new. What may seem child's play to you is college calculus to me.

Though, I think I will go with Onilordasmodeus techniques and concepts. He posted a nice detailed manuscript, very indepth. I feel the way he presented his guidelines will help me develop into a better player.
Yeah, he explained more of the basic koncepts than I did.

Asking simple questions is fine but you shouldn't really make a new thread for it.

We all start somewhere so overtime you'll learn to separate personal problems from character problems. (Though some good players still get those things konfused, or refuse to admit when it's them and not the character.)

@tactfulgamer

To practice wake-ups go into practice mode and use the record function to record some strings (like flash's f2,1,3 string), and and just practice over and over again until you can get out of the pressure consistently both in the corner and in the mid screen. Like I said before though, corner wake ups are tougher (for me anyway), especially online, but practice it regardless i say.
Thanks for this and the links you provided as well. This is definitely one of my weak areas.

Glad I can help! Really I am. That's what TYM is all about isn't it? :cool:
Luckily you came along, but not everyone is this helpful.

LEGEND

YES!
You are very ignorant of the Flash

Very