What's new

Grabs Tech?

DrDogg

Kombatant
My point is that by allowing me to tech while holding block, it doesn't change the offensive nature of the game.

And I stand by my statement that playing defense is significantly more difficult than playing offense.

JGG

Noob
My point is that by allowing me to tech while holding block, it doesn't change the offensive nature of the game.

And I stand by my statement that playing defense is significantly more difficult than playing offense.
100% it is. Playing defensively, either you read everything correctly and know your setups, or you give free meter and chip to your opponent. On some characters, it isn't even viable to play defensively.

I really don't feel like heavy defense is the way to go in this game, though. If that's your thing and you make it work, more power to you, but with all of the ways to quickly close distance, and frame traps/throws being as strong as they are, it's rough.

oZii

Mortal
so at first i mashed buttons to break throws...then i read this thread and used fk/bk...then i read some more and used 3+4...now i am still reading it and learning to use 1 or 2? seriously this thread will tell you to use every single attack button to break throws, or even a combination of two. is it really a 25% chance guessing game? wtf is going on?

it is official. i have no fucking clue what you guys are talking about and zero idea how to break throws in this game. awesome.

looks like it is back to mashing everything.

edit...ok so i watched SEB's video. great video BTW. i'd recommend watching that and completely disregarding the rest of this thread. D:
Which SEB video?

Jim

Emperor of the Moon
Which SEB video?
My guess is this video:

I still don't get why hitting both 3+4 doesn't tech both options. As far as I can tell in training this works. Is it not the case in versus? I was trying myself using a the pdp stick and ps3 controller. I hit throw on the controller and a split second later hit 3+4 on the stick and broke every time. I tried forward + throw as well and teched each time. Is there something wrong with my testing method? Everything I see just says press 3+4 when you want to tech the throw.

One more point, earlier in this thread I asked why you can't use the change stance button, well it just doesn't tech the throws. The throw and change stance buttons aren't macros like in Street Fighter, it is its own command that doesn't function 100% the same as pressing both buttons at once. For example if you jump and press throw with a non-air throw fighter nothing happens. If you jump and press both buttons for a throw either a kick or a punch will come out.

Mgt2

Noob

Yeah, great point.