What's new

Got my first arcade today, Dedicated MKII Cabinet :)

Got this beauty today (sorry for pic quality was taken on camera phone)! MKII has always been my favorite of the MK franchise and to have my first arcade be a dedicated MKII cabinet in amazing condition (easy 8.5-9 out of 10) like this, it's hard to put into words.

I plan on installing a 6-in-1 jamma switcher and put in (inspired to do this from cabinet by Mike aka YourMKArcadeSource/MK3Fan:

Slot 1 - MK 4.0 Y Unit (3.1 Turbo/Nifty Kombo)
Slot 2 - MK 5.0 T Unit (3.1 Turbo Ninja)
Slot 3 - MKII 2.1 Rev. - currently installed (alternating with 9.1 Prototype version from time to time)
Slot 4 - MKII 3.1 Rev. (alternating with Immortal Challenger Edition from time to time)
Slot 5 - UMK3 1.2 Rev
Slot 6 - UMK3 Zeus Hack Edition (alternating with MK3 Downgrade Rom kit from time to time)

Let me know your thoughts - will post more pictures this weekend when I go to pick up my other MK boards and switcher. If anyone has a template for the MK3 button layout, let me know. I'm looking for it so I can drill in the run buttons and install them for MK3 and UMK3.

Sushi

Noob
im jealous man. can i come over and break it in for ya?? ^^ how much was it? theres a local here selling one for 600. a lil too high tho.

I wanna come play it too. Damn, I'm jealous. The pic makes it look pristine, hopefully you'll get a lot of enjoyment out of it!

X820

Noob
I just saw one for sale in Belgium in mint condition..

The guy just installed new midway joysticks and replaced all buttons for new ones.

Mofo wants €750,00 for it!

Damn, I'm letting this one pass.....

Pikachu

I Pikachu while you shower.
X820 said:
I just saw one for sale in Belgium in mint condition..

The guy just installed new midway joysticks and replaced all buttons for new ones.

Mofo wants €750,00 for it!

The guy is gotta be some sort jew. Either that or has his own EU mortal kombat tax.

Damn, I'm letting this one pass.....

Thanks for the responses guys, yeah I'm excited to finally get one of these!

I paid $500 for it, but considering the condition it is in and that it had a 2.1 revision board in it, I'm fine spending that. I'm getting an MK 4.0 Y Unit, a MK 5.0 T Unit and a MKII 3.1 and a UMK3 1.2 and the 6 in 1 switcher, with all the kick harnesses already wired up for $250 tomorrow - so for roughly $750 give or take minus the cost for the run buttons and such, $750 isn't too bad for a 8.5-9 out of 10 MKII dedicated cab w/ all those boards - only need another UMK3 to put Zeus Hack in or downgrade to MK3 or put in a MK4 board if I can find a good price on one (just not going to pay $200 for a board of a game that is my least favorite in the franchise) <---- to answer Tim's question.

I'm also going to eventually put in new controls and buttons - guy on ebay has a complete MK3 Happ set for $35, good deal for that route.

By the way if any of you guys are in Denver, let me know - you guys can come down and give it a whirl :)

xDisciplex said:
Thanks for the responses guys, yeah I'm excited to finally get one of these!

I paid $500 for it, but considering the condition it is in and that it had a 2.1 revision board in it, I'm fine spending that. I'm getting an MK 4.0 Y Unit, a MK 5.0 T Unit and a MKII 3.1 and a UMK3 1.2 and the 6 in 1 switcher, with all the kick harnesses already wired up for $250 tomorrow - so for roughly $750 give or take minus the cost for the run buttons and such, $750 isn't too bad for a 8.5-9 out of 10 MKII dedicated cab w/ all those boards - only need another UMK3 to put Zeus Hack in or downgrade to MK3 or put in a MK4 board if I can find a good price on one (just not going to pay $200 for a board of a game that is my least favorite in the franchise) <---- to answer Tim's question.

I'm also going to eventually put in new controls and buttons - guy on ebay has a complete MK3 Happ set for $35, good deal for that route.

By the way if any of you guys are in Denver, let me know - you guys can come down and give it a whirl :)
WOW you live in Denver bro? So do i... hey you can hit me up dude , ill come battle with you...you can come check out my arcades too, i got MK2 , XMEN VS SF, SF3 third strike and Killer Instinct (they are in decent shape) yo hit me up Desciple!!!

ScheissNussen said:
How much does a 3rd strike cabinet typically cost?
I got it for 600 and its even the Japanese type (where you have small chairs attatched to the cabinets and dual screens) i had never seen one like it before ...at least here in the states.

ZAQ

Noob
Damn, thats pretty ridiculous.
I think it would be pretty damn hard to find any cabinet with dual screens for that cheap.

(lucky prick lol)

ScheissNussen said:
I played that before in NY. There is a camera on that yellow part that takes a picture of your face before the race starts so that other player can see it while they are racing.
Then after you leave, it sends the pictures to Homeland Security.

X820 said:
Speaking of cabinets, how cool is this?

Lol yah mines are not quite as nice as these but they are similar....hey Mods , i tried uploading some pics i took of them but its telling me the file is too large? Im taking the pics with my cell phone ...does anyone have any ideas?

My thread got hijacked :p

Picked up my stuff today, was excited to find out he actually had 2 MKII boards in the lot instead of 1! But there's some issues unfortunately with the $250 bundle I got from him.

First off - I need to send the switcher and my kick harnesses to MK3Fan (Mike) to help me out with this, I am not an electronics person and I don't want to mess this up and want to get it "working" in a timely matter - if I do all the electronic work, I'll more than likely mess something up.. lol or it'll take me 4x as long as someone who knows what they're doing.

So w/ the lot here's what was included:

MK 4.0 Y Unit
MK 5.0 T Unit (glitchy..seller is going to reburn all roms and see if that fixes it)
MKII 3.1 Revision
MKII Unknown Revision board
UMK3 1.2 Revision
6-in-1 Jamma Switcher
3 Kick Harnesses w/ diodes hooked up, needs repair I think(one each for MK, MKII and UMK3)
1 MK Sound board
1 MKII Sound board

So I tested all the boards (minus sound, didn't have a chance tonight, cabinet is being stored at my friend's momentarily) and they all booted up except the unknown MKII board, so don't know if that is totally shot or if it can be fixed. I then checked out the MK 4.0 w/ 2 Roms that he burned for me for the Turbo Edition (not 5.0 Turbo Ninja), so I replaced the 89 and 105 in the 4.0 board, turned it on and nothing, a blank screen. So I put in the original roms again that were fine a few minutes prior when I tested the board and started it up again, but nothing this time...instead I had a blank screen like the unknown MKII board!

I freaked out and called him asking what may have happened, and turns out (didn't know this unfortunately) that I may have put in the roms backward, didn't know they had to go a certain way and that may have done something to the board?!? Mike or anyone else here have any input on this, can my 4.0 be fixed :p Also what may be going on with the MKII it lights up like the other 2 MKII boards I have (2.1 and 3.1) but it's just a blank screen?

Any thoughts would be appreciated, also if anyone has an extra MK and MKII Kick Harness or an extra MK and MKII soundboard let me know, if I can get the 4.0 working again and the 5.0 he's trying to fix, I'm going to throw in MK 4.0, MK 5.0, MKII 2.1, MK 3.1 and UMK3 1.2 for the time being and leave #6 slot empty for now.

Thanks in advance!

iammud

Noob
I've purchased a few "broken" boards in the past, that were only broken because they had backwards eproms in them. However, it has never caused any permanent damage.

I still don't get why you're going through all this trouble, all that stuff has near perfect emulation...

ZAQ

Noob
Yeah seems like a lot of effort for no sound crackle :p

I think it would be really nice to just have a cabinet with every MK board in it.
But it would almost never get used.

iammud

Noob
I have no sound issues what so ever on my cab. New mame has most of that stuff solved, resources play a huge roll too...

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
nice cab. Wish I could say I owned one, but nobody around is selling...

mud said:
I've purchased a few "broken" boards in the past, that were only broken because they had backwards eproms in them. However, it has never caused any permanent damage.

I still don't get why you're going through all this trouble, all that stuff has near perfect emulation...
I didn't want to go with a MAME setup right now, because I've always wanted a dedicated MK cabinet and to be able to put all the games in one machine is even better. The thing too with MAME is the sound that bugs me, there are MK games out there that do "crackle" from time to time and to me, I'd rather just have the real thing if I can get it - which I was lucky to find locally.

Only thing I need now is a MK4 board - anyone have one to swap I just got my 2nd UMK3 board today and will trade it for a MK4 :)