What's new

Match-Up Discussion - A-List Goro matchup.

Wigy

There it is...
sounds silly but im struggling against goro more than most of the cast atm.

He can safely armour of everything has better pokes, also can't zone properly cause ex telestomp and ex punchwalk.

Im probably just playing it entirely wrong. Any tips, only pressure i get going is 114 skc 114 skc 114 after a np lol.

Person i play with can fuzzy guard all the mixups etc and yolo armours all my staggered strings

ismael4790

Stay focused or get Caged
A well used Goro can fuck Cage pretty hard, yeah. I try to be in his face and bait his armors every time, but it's not a matchup that makes me comfortable. I don't do risky staggers if he has meter. So I try to make him waste bars bating expunchwalks and I only go ham when he's meterless. But I'm Fisticuffs, with A-List you have more options of course.

It sucks that I can't get the 114 skc 114 skc 114 consistently, it's one of the reasons that keeps me away from using A-List more often.

Scott The Scot

Where there is smoke, there is cancer.
Maybe try and bait armour out until he wastes it and has none, then go in hard with the pressure. If his pokes are better then play a counter poking heavy game and use his negative frames to get pressure going ie block his d1 and because he's -6 (I think, you can fact check me lol) there would be like a 5 frame gap if you used F3. Since you've been baiting out his armour and waiting for him to waste meter, his only option is to backdash.

That's how I'd handle that matchup. As for EX telestomps, all you can really do is guess correctly and whiff punish him.

coconutshrimp

Damn vro, hadda mess with yo auntie
If he's armoring you're staggered strings bait block because you are plus 2. Use 4 skrc because that has the most Plus frames I believe or 333 because that has the same plus frames i belive and gets more chip. When he starts respecting your stagger amd doesn't armor throw in a couple throws. Predict the YOLO. Haven't fought too many goros recently so this could be very invalid. It might not help at all if this is what you've been doing.

Wigy

There it is...
Well its just tricky since getting in on him with his endless armour, those flame moves etc

I do bait and respect ex pw but basically means i have my pressure entirely shut down.

Bleh.

llabslb

R1D1_998
Don't bait armour. His punch walk is too armourlicious and is very safe -5 I think. Jump ins don't even think about, U1/U2 are godlike anti airs and he will get a full combo. Also the punch walk is active for like 40f, ex punch walk has armour throughout the whole move. Take a risk with staggered pressure and you'll receive a good man handling from Goro.

Wigy

There it is...
Don't bait armour. His punch walk is too armourlicious and is very safe -5 I think. Jump ins don't even think about, U1/U2 are godlike anti airs and he will get a full combo.
What do you mean don't bait? Otherwise i can do literally nothing except jail blockstrings which i can only start from NP's. This is the annoying thing about jc's pressure, too heavily reliant on high 9frame high with his terrible ass slow d1/d3.

Anyone got sneaky goro tech?

Probably will be better offline when i can actually counterpoke as well lol. That d1 block infinite.

Also d1 punchwalk catches me counterpoking which is annoying

Last edited:

llabslb

R1D1_998
What do you mean don't bait? Otherwise i can do literally nothing except jail blockstrings which i can only start from NP's. This is the annoying thing about jc's pressure, too heavily reliant on high 9frame high with his terrible ass slow d1/d3.

Anyone got sneaky goro tech?

Probably will be better offline when i can actually counterpoke as well lol. That d1 block infinite.

Also d1 punchwalk catches me counterpoking which is annoying
Just don't use staggered pressure

Wigy

There it is...
Just don't use staggered pressure
So basically all I have is f3 skc 114skc 114, unless its after a NP?

I figured this but was wondering if anybody had a workaround.

F3 rc d4 is a godsend (when I don't get cancel perfectly) as it low profiles the first hit or two of his PW and I can block in time for the next one.

Espio

Kokomo
It's not actually silly. People need to stop living in the past or thinking Goro cannot go even with or beat some characters. The match up is pretty even though in general, lots of checks and balances on each other.

Down 4 is good against Goro, but Goro's down 4 and other pokes are really good against him so it's not like Cage's down 4 shuts Goro down anymore than Goro's do. He can down 4 and recover quickly to evade punchwalk launching him (he still has to block though), but Johnny is extremely vulnerable to Tigrar Fury Goro's zoning due to his massive hitbox. Goro gets easy armors out of ex nutpunch as well.

Stunt Double and A-list can pressure well, but in the same token, Goro on knockdown puts the hurt on Cage pretty effectively.

Goro does good against many pressure characters including Jax, if you have to come in to be most effective against him, he'll almost in all cases do superbly versus you.

The match up doesn't change much across variations either really. I used to co-main Cage and have experience against a couple Cage mains. It's a pretty fun, footsie based match up.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Both of the characters i use have trouble with goro. Man id just try to f3rc d4, or f3rc f2 as your main mixup. I get rekt by tigrar but that works ok against KW in my experience.

ARMOR

Khaos God
Premium Supporter
Apparently it's heavy 6-4 for goro, I can see why considering d4 literally beats all of cage's moves. Why waste meter on johnny when he literally won't press a button un less he has serious balls or goro has no meter. I've played enough johnny to understand that I feel it's more towards goro because 6 frame d1 and superior pokes in general. But that's really just goro's meta game