What's new

Breakthrough - Goro Goro 40+% Midscreen Combo / Set-Up (Sweet, Succulent, Fresh Goro Tech)

Alright RyRy

Florida Kombat
To my knowledge this is something new, I have been testing this lately and it seems to be very effective against most of the cast. I have been doing this is real matches against @BunLantern and @Tom Brady, but I have come to realize this "Set-Up / Combo" does not work against sub zero pretty much at all. In game footage below.

The ONLY way out of this set-up is TECH ROLL.

THE "NEW" MIDSCREEN BnB
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
COMBO / SET UP WORKING IN MATCH

This works off of any combo starter to my knowledge.

I have not had the time to test this against the entire cast, but if you want to test it for yourself, just set AI to "TECH ROLL and WAKE UP BACK DASH"

@YOMI FOREVER KING
@FOREVER KING JR
@Espio
@Metzos
@chief713
@Mourneblade
@Decay
@ARMOR

This list below means that the character is able to TECH ROLL and WAKE UP BACKDASH to avoid this set up completely.

DOES NOT WORK ON
  • Sub-Zero - Connects if Goro uses 4 instead of F3.
  • Shinnok - Connects if Goro uses 4 instead of F3.
  • Kano
DOES WORK ON
  • Cassie
  • Goro
  • Quan Chi
  • Jason
  • Tanya
  • Kung Jin
  • Tremor
  • Jacqui
  • Takeda
  • Mileena
  • Scorpion
  • Kitana
  • Kenshi
  • Sonya
  • Jax
  • Kung Lao
  • Predator
  • Johnny Cage
  • Erron Black
  • Liu Kang
  • Ermac
  • Kotal Kahn
  • Reptile
  • Ferra / Torr
  • D'Vorah
  • Raiden
So please respond with your thoughts and idea, list will get updated once testing is final. Also what is your thoughts on this?

Last edited:

Nuovo_Cabjoy

G O R O B O Y S
So we're making a read on whether they'll tech roll or not right? If we commit to neutral teleport, is anyone able to tech roll and punish the recovery? If not, this looks like a risk free setup! Nice stuff.

Midscreen Stomp tech is a great new frontier to dive into, props for the find and a quite easily executed 40%. Even if this doesn't work on Sub Zero, Goro has enough to beat his frosty ass any day. I'd try on more cast members, but I haven't a working setup.

chief713

Vertebral Subluxationist
I made a post in the general thread about this a while back. I used to do it more with Fangs since fang spin pops them up higher, making the B12U2 easier (moot now since they buffed that string).

I stopped using it because most chars can get out of it by tech rolling and doing an armored wakeup IIRC. And I think wakeup teleports beat it outright. But again, that was off of fang spin; it may be a little different when doing it off of EX punch walk since it doesn't do a ground bounce.

If it's actually a more robust setup with EX punch walk, I think it'll be a good piece of tech. Even though it's pretty much guaranteed and more damage, I tend not to end combos with stomp in the corner since you're only +8, as opposed to being +28 when ending with command grab. But for midscreen, this is ideal for the characters that can't escape it.

Alright RyRy

Florida Kombat
I stopped using it because most chars can get out of it by tech rolling and doing an armored wakeup IIRC. And I think wakeup teleports beat it outright. But again, that was off of fang spin; it may be a little different when doing it off of EX punch walk since it doesn't do a ground bounce.

If it's actually a more robust setup with EX punch walk, I think it'll be a good piece of tech. Even though it's pretty much guaranteed and more damage, I tend not to end combos with stomp in the corner since you're only +8, as opposed to being +28 when ending with command grab. But for midscreen, this is ideal for the characters that can't escape it.
I haven't tried the DF Spin yet, but in this setup you HAVE to tech roll to escape this. As shown in the first video, that alone made me want to post / look into this setup a bit more.

Not to sound like an ass-hat or anything, but hasn't ending combos with normal xx stomp been known for a while with Goro? I've been doing 21 xx stomp, and 4 xx stomp in the corner for as long as I could remember playing this character. Also, I'm not too keen on the idea of potentially having to guess if my opponent is mashing on roll tech for a bread and butter combo. Grab is so much better of an ender too, considering the position you get put into. You get 2 free forward dashes vs the opponent, meaning you're right in their face and able to punish whatever reversal they did for thinking your dashes were unsafe or try going for d1/d3 xx grab/pw mixup. Or you could just dash once and be at a pretty decent spot to be in with Goro. Meanwhile, Goro walks away from the opponent and can't do much after stomp afaik. I guess with the new buff to stomp's recovery, this could be decent to go for once and awhile against certain characters, but I'd still go with grab or pw whenever possible.

Really, truly, honestly trying not to be "That Guy", just pointing out stuff about this tech.

Ashenar

Just a slightly above average player.....
To my knowledge this is something new, I have been testing this lately and it seems to be very effective against most of the cast. I have been doing this is real matches against @BunLantern and @Tom Brady, but I have come to realize this "Set-Up / Combo" does not work against sub zero pretty much at all. In game footage below.

The ONLY way out of this set-up is TECH ROLL.

THE "NEW" MIDSCREEN BnB
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
COMBO / SET UP WORKING IN MATCH

This works off of any combo starter to my knowledge.

I have not had the time to test this against the entire cast, but if you want to test it for yourself, just set AI to "TECH ROLL and WAKE UP BACK DASH"

@YOMI FOREVER KING
@FOREVER KING JR
@Espio
@Metzos
@chief713
@Mourneblade
@Decay
@ARMOR

This list below means that the character is able to TECH ROLL and WAKE UP BACKDASH to avoid this set up completely.

DOES NOT WORK ON
  • Sub-Zero - Connects if Goro uses 4 instead of F3.
  • Shinnok - Connects if Goro uses 4 instead of F3.
  • Kano
DOES WORK ON
  • Cassie
  • Goro
  • Quan Chi
  • Jason
  • Tanya
  • Kung Jin
  • Tremor
  • Jacqui
  • Takeda
  • Mileena
  • Scorpion
  • Kitana
  • Kenshi
  • Sonya
  • Jax
  • Kung Lao
  • Predator
  • Johnny Cage
  • Erron Black
  • Liu Kang
  • Ermac
  • Kotal Kahn
  • Reptile
  • Ferra / Torr
  • D'Vorah
  • Raiden
So please respond with your thoughts and idea, list will get updated once testing is final. Also what is your thoughts on this?

Will it work on variations like Displacer Raiden and Eth Mileena?

Alright RyRy

Florida Kombat
Not to sound like an ass-hat or anything, but hasn't ending combos with normal xx stomp been known for a while with Goro? I've been doing 21 xx stomp, and 4 xx stomp in the corner for as long as I could remember playing this character. Also, I'm not too keen on the idea of potentially having to guess if my opponent is mashing on roll tech for a bread and butter combo. Grab is so much better of an ender too, considering the position you get put into. You get 2 free forward dashes vs the opponent, meaning you're right in their face and able to punish whatever reversal they did for thinking your dashes were unsafe or try going for d1/d3 xx grab/pw mixup. Or you could just dash once and be at a pretty decent spot to be in with Goro. Meanwhile, Goro walks away from the opponent and can't do much after stomp afaik. I guess with the new buff to stomp's recovery, this could be decent to go for once and awhile against certain characters, but I'd still go with grab or pw whenever possible.

Really, truly, honestly trying not to be "That Guy", just pointing out stuff about this tech.

I know this is old, I've used 21 stomp as well. What is "new" is that fact that they HAVE to tech roll this, while ending a combo with 21 stomp they can wakeup backdash it.

All Goro players used Stomp in combos before mainly in corners because of the tech roll option is eliminated.

Alright RyRy

Florida Kombat
This set up / combo also works after Goro's meterless B12U2xB12U2xB12U2 combo. So you would do this.

B12U2xxB12U2xxB12U2xD4xTeleStomp - Not sure on the damage right now, I am not near a station to test. Only way out is to tech roll.

ETC AdmiralAugustus

Grabble Frazzled

Why you gotta be "That Guy"?