What's new

Question - War God Go-to War God mixups?

KeyserSoze

Fabled Villain
I'm really pulling out all the stops to level-up with War God Kotal and I've been using stuff like:

B14, Ex--Overhead Sword;

F3, Ex-Overhead Sword;

F1, Sword Sweep; (not a true overhead/low mixup)

and cancelling strings like 21 into Saw Blade.

I'm just wondering what other relatively straightforward tactics fellow War God players have had success with. I think a thread compiling this kind of stuff for each variation would be very useful.

Lanqu

Noob
Looks like the only option opponent should be afraid of is Ex Overhead because others just knowdown and nothing more?

regulas

Your Emporer
Looks like the only option opponent should be afraid of is Ex Overhead because others just knowdown and nothing more?
For the swords yes, however there are some low string hits you can use to mix-up with, and more importantly a knockdown is good for War god, as it controls there exact range and puts you in a safe potion to follow up with another sword.

Second Saint

A man with too many names.
I'm really pulling out all the stops to level-up with War God Kotal and I've been using stuff like:

B14, Ex--Overhead Sword;

F3, Ex-Overhead Sword;

F1, Sword Sweep; (not a true overhead/low mixup)

and cancelling strings like 21 into Saw Blade.

I'm just wondering what other relatively straightforward tactics fellow War God players have had success with. I think a thread compiling this kind of stuff for each variation would be very useful.
B1~Overhead Sword is great once they learn to block b14. B1 in general is great for mixups because it can be mid/low/overhead, mid/overhead, mid/low/low.

If you're willing to spend a bar, you can also frame trap people by canceling into EX Sword Throw from a block string and following up with f1, f2, or dash low poke, . Not really sure it's worth it since you lose your sword for awhile afterwards though. Makes following up on all those plus frames difficult.

b122xxEXdb1 is supposedly safe (in training it beats 5 frame reversals) which itself isn't a mixup, but you can switch in b122xxdb2 which hits overhead low as a 50/50 (but the low swing is unsafe if they do block. Also, if the opponent doesn't block then the low will miss smaller opponents like Kitana and Mileena).

Well now that I know the safety OS, things are gonna get nutty.

War God already has a lot of crazy mixup strings, now we can do them more safely.

but my layer 1 yomi string is b14 xx db3~1+2 OS

From there I like to mixup with everything pretty much mentioned above, b1 straight into EX overhead for example.

I think the 212 string has some potential too, the sword sweep is unsafe, but used sparingly in other strings your opponent isn't as conditioned too can chunk off decent amounts of health and give you further oki, you can also OS those situations as I said in another thread.

When they are scared of your mixup you can start doing things like letting a db3 go through for the unblockable or ending right at b1 or whatever starter and throw.

I really like the relentless 50/50s this character can put out.

KeyserSoze

Fabled Villain
I really like the relentless 50/50s this character can put out.
Same. War God Kotal has ridiculous footsies and excellent overall mixups while still maintaining a pronounced damage output advantage over the vast majority of the MKX cast. I think he has a chance to be really, really good.

Khaoz77

Don't run, you're gonna trip...
Please, what "OS" stands for?
OS stands for option select. It's basically defined as a move that you do in order to deal with many possible situations or outcomes. It can either be offensive or defensive.