What's new

General/Other Giving the axe & sword a rest. Picking up a lantern.

ENDeverMORE

The incredible introvert
I've been looking for a character for ages that I can stick with to give Ares a break, because although he's REALLY fun for me to use, low tier characters are a really big pain in the arse, and I find it hard to gauge me own skill at this game, when my character losses most of his matchups T_T

I've been going from character to character for a while, I've played Lantern a few times, but never thought of picking up because of how bad the dash is, I know Ares' dash is worse but he has the teleport to compensate.
After playing with all the characters I use again, I've decided on have GL as a solid second. And I'll try my hardest to stick with the corps, and not return to the fields of war until I feel I'm comfortable with the character.
Ps. I really only like to use villains for the most part, and I much like the Sinestro Corps over the Green Lantern Corps, so I'll be sticking with YL...... hopefully that doesn't change anything ^ ^||

Ranked has only gotten me so far, My B&Bs are far from optimised (I think...) and I have a hard time finding any recent footage of this character...

Amplified$hotz

I like Tekken 8
Step 1: Get New 52 skin it improves your level of play 10 fold.
Step 2: Learn combos, setups, conversions, etc.Go to OFIDYAN's youtube channel
https://m.youtube.com/user/OFIDYAN
Then gross's https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCTBDspyAFC1UQXrJgabhyHA
Choose what you like.
Step 3:Learn matchups there aren't too many match ups where green lantern can just do whatever he wants. Learning each match up is important since he doesn't win any mu 7-3(maybe Grundy) the better player should usually win.
Step 4: Get creative. Since GL doesn't have any standing 50/50s you can open people with f2 mixups but they can be blocked. Playing footsies is your best bet but gross is really good at doing both. Just do some stuff that your opponent isn't expecting.
Step 5: Utilize GL's defense. Imo it's hard to get in on GL unless you have an overhead teleport. Try to use all of his tools.
I can't really explain it without a guide. Just watch how these guys play then create your own playstyle based on what you see.

ENDeverMORE

The incredible introvert
You picked the wrong Lantern
What? Should I have gone to the Sinestro forums to as for help with GL? :p
I love this character so much, but not how he is depicted in this game, and how one dimensional he is. He's still in my pocket though
Yellow is power!

If you want i can pm you some optimized combos and give you links to some other combos and setups.
please, that'll be useful. :)

Last edited:

jbthrash

Nut Breaker
Don't waste your time. He has become one of my least favorite fighting game mains in my history of fighting games. It's hard for me to say this considering Hal is my second favorite comic character of all time.

He may be fun to use at first, but he relies heavily on gimmicks for his rush down pressure and his turbine and lift set ups. Some of his best tools are impossible to utilize online. The only things he has going for him is that he is easy to learn, and opponents who yolo jump in, or refuse to low block are really easy to defeat.I started to mess around with Superman recently and it was a lot more fun and liberating.

My advice to you is to use a character that has a simple game plan. Such as zoning, rush down, or grappling. I would recommend Sinestro because he is a good zoner and you seem to like yellow lanterns any way.
Just some guy's advice on the internet though. Do whatever you want.

ENDeverMORE

The incredible introvert
Don't waste your time. He has become one of my least favorite fighting game mains in my history of fighting games. It's hard for me to say this considering Hal is my second favorite comic character of all time.

He may be fun to use at first, but he relies heavily on gimmicks for his rush down pressure and his turbine and lift set ups. Some of his best tools are impossible to utilize online. The only things he has going for him is that he is easy to learn, and opponents who yolo jump in, or refuse to low block are really easy to defeat.I started to mess around with Superman recently and it was a lot more fun and liberating.

My advice to you is to use a character that has a simple game plan. Such as zoning, rush down, or grappling. I would recommend Sinestro because he is a good zoner and you seem to like yellow lanterns any way.
Just some guy's advice on the internet though. Do whatever you want.
Yo if I can stick with maining Ares for 2 years then I can second this guy, and Sinestro gets boring after a few games of playing him anyway.

jbthrash

Nut Breaker
Yo if I can stick with maining Ares for 2 years then I can second this guy, and Sinestro gets boring after a few games of playing him anyway.
I can't speak for Ares. But if mastering average characters that don't really excel at anything is your thing, then more power to you.

EGP Wonder_Chef

Official Quan Chi Nerf Demander™
GL is a cool character, because he has a lot of different ways to play each part of his game, so it's pretty feasible to be able to identify a GL by how they play.

There are three main areas that you have to choose how to play:

1. Zoning

GL has so many zoning options, that you really get to use them how you want. I'm a big fan of using well spaced Rocket Power (DB2) because it forces chip and +frames on my opponent. Most GLs use a lot of Oa's (BF1), but how much you MB it in zoning is a personal choice (you can MB it over their head for chip and to leave you at plus). Jumping Oa's are really strong if used correctly, as long as you can bait people trying to punish it well. Minigun also forces chip and pushes back, especially when traited. Even MB Turbine is strong in a lot of zoning situations, if you have the meter. On top of that, each of these is stronger when you have trait on: Air Oa's recover insanely fast, Minigun is fullscreen, Rocket Power pops up on hit, etc.

2. Footsies/Pressure

GL's footsies let you make a lot of risk/reward choices. You can play safe and do a lot of max range B1 or 223 xx minigun, which is safe on block but doesn't net you much damage. You can do B13 more, which has a slight gap unless spaced well, however it gets you way more reward on hit. If you're ballsy you can do gimmicks like B13 xx Trait xx Lift or MB B3 cancel, to bait them trying to punish you for traiting on block.

His pressure is more straightforward. Use a lot of F3, unless they're baiting it with MB B3/F3. Throws are your best friend with GL. D1 > F3 aka THE DENZELL is always good.

3. Combo Enders/Oki

THIS is the main place that GL players differentiate themselves from eachother! Orochi almost always goes for full damage but not a lot of mixups after his combos. I almost always end my combos in traited lift for his amazing f3/crossup f3/b1/throw mixup, but I lose a lot of damage on my combos for it. Gross uses a lot of 223 cancelled into whiffed Turbine enders into mixups, which keeps almost all of the damage and gets you a decent mixup, but no true 50/50s. Michaelangelo and some other GL's end in MB Lift into crossup mixups, or OTG shennanigans (which are all really hard to block) and while it keeps a good amount of damage, it takes meter every time. If you need me to explain any of his mixups I would be happy to.

I think the main thing you have to decide is which of your tools you're going to spend meter on the most. I always go into his meterless vortex because I looooove spending meter to make my zoning game based on chip damage and + frames. If you spend meter for your mixups, your zoning might be more based on air oas and minigun to build meter or something. He's a lot of fun and lets you play in a really personalized style.